Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Fillet Into The Bucket Or Not

Re: Fillet Into The Bucket Or Not

Outstation - I was thinking the same thing about the wet/dry question. The reason I put them in the bag dripping wet is (I believe) it keeps stops the fish from drying out in the freezer and during thawing. I'm interested to know the thinking behind drying them before freezing (or is it just an issue for the cryovac machines?).

I actually think the most important part of cleaning/packing fish might be properly labeling the bags with species and date so you can circulate stock in the freezer. Im sure my fish started tasting better when I knew what it was and when i caught it (ie started labelling bags properly - about 3 yrs ago).

cells in meat and fish expand when frozen and rupture which releases moisture from the meat. that is why there is a "puddle" of water and or blood in the bag or on the plate after thawing. water dilutes flavour (making cordial is an extreme example). that is why fresh fish or meat is always juicier and tastier than frozen. less water = more flavour.
    fishing's as simple as 3 P's - patience, perserverance and PLASTIC!

I like to make up two salt water ice slurries i just mix some salt with tap water,i fillet & chuck into slurrie.Then after all fish are filleted i then skin and chuck into 2nd slurrie kepping different species seperate you can lay a skin of whatever species on top so they dont get mixed up.I used to cryvak but i'm over bags not sealing plus they are expensive.
    I now prefer to place fillets in a freezer bag then hold bag under water with open end of bag out of water & whilst rolling it all air escapes & fish is now cryvaked without the hassles of a cryvak machine & expense.
    I then place 3 or 4 packs in large ziplock bags & write on them what they are.
    I would prefer to use sea water but find its a hassle to get it home, but fillets dont seem to bleach in a tap water sea salt mix compared to just fresh water.if i had to use fresh water i would prefer not to wash fillets at all

I don't put any water near the cut fillets, Chilled catch comes out of the ice box, onto the table, filleted, skinned and put on a clean meat tray. Vac sealed and packed flat into the Freezer asap. When thawed for a meal any moisture is absorbed with paper towel.
    I will use water to clean the filleting table only and even then get rid of the excess water before cutting a fish open and always keep the skin with scales intact on the table surface so the cleaned fillet never touches the table.

Just wondering what toxins a fish's slime can hold after being dead in an ice slurry for 6 or so hours?? Does that slime break down the flesh at all once the skin is cut??

I guess nobody is filletting fork tailed catfish and leaving that slime in the cutting board???
    Jack.