Thread: Evakool 85

Evakool 85

Gday everyone just ordered one and have never had a FG esky before. Have to admit I haven't worked this hard in my life figuring out what to do for my cooling needs while camping...12/240, 3 way or upgrade esky. Geezus there is some information and brands and sizes to look at out there. Anyway was real close to going the 3 way fridge route as most of the camping is base camping and a week will be a long trip, most times will be long weekends etc I decided to go with the FG esky as I wanted something simple and didnt want to risk a breakdown possibly losing the food. Anyway the point of this post is these EvaKool glass eskys are supposed to be very good holding ice , I usually camp using dry ice and I called evakool and they didnt recommend using dry ice in the esky so I will be freezing 3 x 10ltr containers now and we will be off to moreton for about 5 to 6 days school holidays coming up. Is this amount of ice going to be ok for that time frame? Mainly for food and a few drinks, I will be pre chilling the esky before use, also any drinks and food will be cold before going in. Also a tip seems to be to cover the esky with a wet towel as well. I think you can still buy ice on moreton at bulwer but I am not sure as it has been quite a long time since I have been there, I would rather not have to run around to get ice but if I need to then it wont be the end of the world. Thanks Steven

Re: Evakool 85

Is there a reason they said not to use the dry ice? If it was placed correctly in the exsky I can't see a issue but maybe missing something aout teh glass going brittle when super chilled?

We would use that amount in block ice ( 4 days) but we also use a little engle and put a container in to freeze during the day and overnight and it with a solar panel/battery keeps us going without buying ice. Ours is a older one so don't know if it would be better or worse. The prechill for us is cryovac in smaller one day packs and freeze everything down for a few days as low as your domestic fridge will go as freezer on normal setting just isn't as cold.

We used to put a piece of like perspex stiff plastic between the food we would use that day and below that the air and frozen stuff would stay frozen longer. It only got quickly opened 3 times a day as a rule.

One 851 - geeze aren't you taking any beer????

Do a test run at home in the backyard - throw a couple of blocks in and a case of beer and open it a couple of times a day and see how it goes as a rough estimate

when it arrives most likely do a test run for sure, re dry ice they said because dry is so cold it could damage the structure of the esky. I dont have a problem with that , I guess they need to cover themselves. I dont mind not using the dry ice because of the expense and also it freezing everything in the esky.

"One 851 - geeze aren't you taking any beer????"

Just taking my daughter along most likely have room to spare in the esky but I cant stand having no room, reason for upgrade. Thanks.

they are great mate, if this one doesnt satisfy you then no other will. I have spent $1000's buying different eskies over time. It doesnt need to be evakool but the fibreglass ones outlast the good quality plastic ones although they are more suseptible to scratching and dents. The secret to keeping them looking like new is using Jif cream to clean them.
    Living the dream, Barry

one more thing...I have used mine with dry ice and no probs, the only thing to think about is that dry ice lets off co2 and this can sometimes taint food taste, could this be their problem????. I normally put a dry ice brick on the bottom then fill with party ice to 1/3 full. Make sure the party ice doesnt get wet or start to melt when loading or you will end up with one huge ice cube of food or drinks. The secret is a layer of party ice between layers of food. Hope this helps
    Cheers
    Marty
    Living the dream, Barry

3 x 10lt is a lot of block ice. I reckon combine that with some party ice and you'd be set for 5-6 days. Probably don't need the party ice but helps keep everything nice and chilly when the blocks are half melted.

Stevenc, the general rule of thumb is 1/3 esky capacity should be block ice ( your 30ltrs should be fine in an 85 ltr esky) if everything is cold going in and your are not trying to cool down hot cartons of beer and only opening the lid a few times per day then you should get 6-7 days from your Evacool , keep the esky out of sun also but that goes without saying.

I tested my 65ltr Evacool with the 1/3 principal and it lasted 7 days, they are the ducks nuts of eskies IMHO

A mate has an 85L evacool and when we use it we put a 20kg block in the bottom. It fits perfectly. We then put a layer of beer, then party ice, then beer and so on until its full. Will last a week easily and thats sitting in the boat here in north qld and being opened regularly.
    Eat canned food.

Thanks everyone for the replies and tips, received the esky today so looking forward to using it and for the trip shortly. I have been using the techni ice before this and it has worked ok but I generally use dry ice with that and it has been expensive. If I can get away with block ice and party ice if needed with the FG esky like many have said is possible for the time frame then I will be quite happy. Steven