Thread: Fraser Island 1st Week September

Fraser Island 1st Week September

Anyone else heading to Fraser this coming weekend?? Or anyone just come back with any fishy stories??

Re: Fraser Island 1st Week September

Yeah i'm heading there this Friday for the weekend. Was gonna ask where the tailor are biting?

Just got back last weekend, all the decent sized Tailor were coming in around the Maheno and Dundabura. Not too much north of Waddy and they were all pretty small. There are some good gutters up there though, they will fire well in the coming months.

Fished around Ngkala a few times for some decent whiting, there are some good deep gutters up there too, you can drive around pretty much everything north of south ngkala at low tide which is good for a change.

If any one is interested in rentals at Orchid Beach, please PM me.

Cheers

Tailorfisho, we will be up for the week of the 8th, where are you staying?

Iain

Thinking of heading up Next new moon and fish the bottom end no higher than eurong. This time of the year that area goes nuts alot more quality fish come from down there. As too many schools of smaller fish school up past eurong and south to the more common gutters of maheno,cathedral beach,happy valley, and dundaburra. Try the bottom end one night guys on the top of the tide u might get a shock

Quote Originally Posted by chappie View Post

Iain
    yeah Chappie we are camping this year for the 1st time as someone didn't get his act together and book a house so we will be camping up at Ocean Lake as we have the boat this year.

Iain
    So what date are you actually hitting the beach? The 8th?

Tailorfisho, Yes mate first thing on the morning of the 8th, hopefully fish up the beach to orchid. When do you leave, same day?

Hey 35kg Jew, could you share any basic tips for jew on Fraser, i have been told deep gutters and long nights waiting. What line size would i need?
    Thanks Iain

Tailorfisho, Yes mate first thing on the morning of the 8th, hopefully fish up the beach to orchid. When do you leave, same day?

Hey 35kg Jew, could you share any basic tips for jew on Fraser, i have been told deep gutters and long nights waiting. What line size would i need?
    Thanks Iain
    Chappie

I head up on the low tide this Sunday. Just had a phone call from some subbies that work for me and the report is since last Saturday "NO FISH from the beaches" The odd just legal tailor, only 1 out of 4 is a keeper and just legal. No size to the whiting up north but plenty of elbow slappers down hook point way. Tailor fisho's did have 2 days of spotty macs at the Wreck yesterday and Tuesday. not too many good gutter formations but did mention that it is 1 continuous gutter from Eurong north to Indian head so no baitfish schooling up and holding in gutters. No birds working either. Did make mention about the boaties at Waddy point cleaning up though. most boats bagging out and back in by 10am. Alot of guys have been heading norh to the cape looking for Tailor also with not too many fish being taken. Plenty of Muddies on the western side creeks. They did mention that DPI research guys made comment that the big schools of tailor are just coming over the border now and DPI reckons that it will take 3 - 4 weeks before the big fish and big schools make it north. I will try and post an update or 2 while I'm up there

Hey chappie,

The jew on fraser school up in large numbers around this time of year,i personally dont like big holes or deep gutters too much movement. Another reason no white water for the bigger fish to ambush there prey. So what i look for are nice smallish entrance but with the odd wave breaking right across. Now others will have there preferences but i like the first of the run in for the jew of the beach with not alot of moon.
    Line wise i would not worry to much 10-15kg is fine off the beach,8-10ball sinker long 80lb leader.
    Baitwise cant beat fresh tailor but dont use huge slabs at fraser otherwise u will be catching sharks all night long lol. My favourite area on fraser for jew would be in between yidney rocks and pomugan rocks.Find a nice lil hole there and at this time of the year you will get a few Attachment 83792

Well the latest report from Fraser as of 5pm this afternoon is still no decent tailor from either the eastern beach or north of Indian. Comment has been made that its the worst start to a Tailor season in 50yrs?? Sounds like it is going to be worth towing the boat up. Will post a report with plenty of photos on my return. Wish me luck

Keithy

Tailorfisho, U will be fine fraser changes everyday we were at north straddie 3 weeks ago and they were thick,most i have seen in years and size was better than choppers. The weather for this week coming looks great and im thinking bout hitting it up as well. Reports i got from a very reliable source who is the mechanic at eurong reckons there has been heaps down 3-6km's south of eurong.

Dokey okey...sounds promising for a few weeks down the track.
    I'll be heading to Fraser for a solid week at the end of this month (Sept).

I checked the tide times and 1:00pm at Inskip point will co-incide with a low tide. That's when I plan to get the ferry.

By the time me and the crew settle into our digs and prime the fishig tackle it'll be approaching high tide in the late afternoon with a setting sun and a full moon that night. On paper it's lookin' good. I'd better bring an extra slab of pillies just on the strength if it.

Just received a few packs of gangsters and some line that I ordered from ######## so it's all start'n to happen...
    "...a voice in my head keeps telling me to go fishing..."