Thread: How long should you sit on a spot before moving on?

How long should you sit on a spot before moving on?

Just after a few opinions on how long to sit on a spot before calling it quits and trying somewhere else. I have a couple of favourite spots that always seem to have good shows on the sounder but sometimes I'll anchor and berley up ang just get the odd bite with no hookups. How long do you think is reasonable to wait when your anchored up chasing snapper or other reefies? Or does it depend on the time of day eg anchor up and get a berley trail going before sunset and fish a couple of hours either side?

Re: How long should you sit on a spot before moving on?

i reckon 12 hours is pretty fair. that should see either a sunrise or sunset plus a tide in and out too. if you haven't done any good by then you would have to say there is no fish there
    fishing's as simple as 3 P's - patience, perserverance and PLASTIC!

Quote Originally Posted by netmaker View Post
    i reckon 12 hours is pretty fair. that should see either a sunrise or sunset plus a tide in and out too. if you haven't done any good by then you would have to say there is no fish there
    I think 1/2-1/4 as long as Netmaker is my opinion. But hey I never drop anchor unless it is to sleep.

3 cans, 5 smokes and one application of SPF30+

About 3 mins, probably why I don't catch anything....

I reckon that as long as you are getting bites you've got a chance. For snapper fishing I'd normally give it 20-30 minutes after each decent bite before going away.

Cheers, PP

Id probable go 60min without a touch then hit the next spot.

Depends if your waiting for dusk or dawn or a tide change.
    If you can set up somewhere else, that's what I do.
    Though I often stay in an area if waiting for tide or weather.

Dan

the best snapper session i have seen in the bay we sat in the same spot from 4 in the arv till 8 the next morn. i caught a whiting. my deckie caught 5 snapper: 74, 78, 78, 83 and 84. roughly 5pm, 10pm, 3am, 7.30am and 8am. caught nothing else at all. i have no reason not to think that if we had stayed another 3 hours there would have been another on board - caught by old mate of course...

should have added: old mate (who now fishes that spot quite regularly) had a session in june with his deckie that saw 8 fish in that size range in 3 hours. and yes, 6 were released.