Thread: have you seen & do you know

have you seen & do you know

Took the dog for a run at low tide today.
    I noticed some very "fine" worms in some tidal pools they were very like the wriggler worms I used to dig under washed up seagrass on coarse shelly kinds of bayside beaches.
    These though were bright green and much finer.
    Have you ever seen these critters and do you know what they are,,,,,,,,

and before any smarty says ,,BAIT,,,,already thought of it,,,,,,, too fine for a hook.

Re: have you seen & do you know

I know the ones you mean. They are just another species of polychaete worm (the name means many bristles) like the larger beach worms and mud worms used as bait. I think all of the common ones known to fisherman belong in one family (Nereidae) and so are also often called Nereid worms. This family contains about 500 species of mostly marine worms which are an important part of marine and littoral zone (intertidal) food chains. I wouldn't be at all surprised if the bright green colouration in these worms is warning colouration indictaing that they are distasteful as they move around quite openly on the surface and never seem to be taken by birds. As you say - way too small to put on a hook anyway.
    Cheers Freeeedom

Re: have you seen & do you know

Thanks Freeeedom, i see those little critters are everywhere in the pools at low tide on the sand flats at hayes inlet.