Thread: Bcf bait

Bcf bait

Hey just wondering if bait from bcf is good quality mainly after pilchards

Re: Bcf bait

Isnt it all tweed bait?

All pillies are pretty crap inless you get them fresh from trawler

I have resisted buying BCF bait for years and it has only been recently that I have started to buy the pillies and squid... these two at least seem pretty much standard and the pillies in particular have appeared to be in good condition (Maroochydore store).

Nothing worse than paying a crap load of $$ for pillies only to find they are soft and fall from the hook..
    2008 Signature 520C with the Suzuki 90 4 stroke on the back

If your in Brissy tower bait and tackle@manly have 15 kilo boxes for $65-$70 , if you have freezer space to put them in it`s well worth it to grab a box. Toni will open the boxes for you to check them for size etc. good value if you do the math if you were to by a 2kg block every time you go out. they have always been great quality and are IQF . cheers Andrew

Or one better is to just get them from the supplier.

Brisbane Fisherman's Co-Op have 15kg boxes of IQF pillies for $50.00.
    If you've got the freezer room to put them into snap lock bags for future use then you'd be hard pressed finding them much cheaper.
    Same as their whole bait range really.

http://www.brisbanefish.com.au/bait-products.html

If your bcf is a pretty busy one where they turn over a shit load of bait they should have a fresh range of bait all the time.... not so busy in the bait dept = not so fresh.

I would say it is better quality than most servos.... it gets turned over quicker.... at least that's the way I look at it.
    Keep an eye out for "sardines" at Coles. I snapped up 10kg last time at $3.99kg. The fishy dude behind the counter asked how I was going to prepare them, and I told him gang hooks.... think that confused him a bit.
    Was a bargain though 5-6 bucks for like 200g from a servo. I get a lot of bait from the supermarket now. Prawns are cheaper (and better), fresh(ish) mullet fillets, whole mullet etc.
    There are only two moments in time.... There's now, and there's too late.

Muddy, those prices are pretty good. Have you used the mullet? I need some for 1770 and the 10kg box looks to be a good price.

Quote Originally Posted by Muddy Toes View Post

If you've got the freezer room to put them into snap lock bags for future use then you'd be hard pressed finding them much cheaper.

Yeah I have mate.......obviously not as good as fresh fillets but for frozen they're not too bad.if I can get fresh I always do but they're IQF pillies and Californian squid are spot on.

Yeah I have mate.......obviously not as good as fresh fillets but for frozen they're not too bad.if I can get fresh I always do but they're IQF pillies and Californian squid are spot on.

Hey Muddy when buying the mullet fillets have you been paying $33/carton as stated on the price list?

The cheeky bugger always stings me $55 as in the delivery price, but the 15kg pillies are usually around $60.

Yeah mate......always paid the buy price and never the rrp.I honestly don't think they know what price they put on stuff and just make it up as they go and work out the cash in his trouser pocket cash register.

Hey what's the best pilles to get from these guys there are a few choices cheers

I just buy a 15Kg box of WA PILCHARDS IQF and put them into snap lock bags or as of late into cryovac bags.They're really good quality pillies, nice and firm when they do thaw out.

Quote Originally Posted by mattttty View Post
    Hey what's the best pilles to get from these guys there are a few choices cheers
    Stay away from the Indo pillies nothing eats the bloody things in QLD, the WA ones are top quality IMO.