Thread: New Lightweight Estuary Spin Reel needed

New Lightweight Estuary Spin Reel needed

Hey there,

I'm looking for advise on what reel to buy for plastics and Hardbodz

I've got a Lox Yoshi 7'6" 1-3kg

Current reel is a 2000 Daiwa Tierra, its flogged out, makes grinding noises, anti reverse gone and probably hardly worth repairing. I paid $120 for it about 3 years ago.

I'm looking for a reel around a 2000 size Daiwa to use with 4lb braid(no idea how Shimanos compare in size).

I'm considering:

Daiwa Sol 2000 $299
    Daiwa Caldia 2000 (new one) $350
    Shimano Stradic Ci4 ($299)

OR wait for Daiwa SOL II being released in December? (will it be worth the wait and any idea on prices?)

Open to any other suggestions,

Cheers

Mitch

Re: New Lightweight Estuary Spin Reel needed

hey mitch, don't know about the daiwa reels but i've got a stradic ci4 2500 and love it. if you shop around on flea bay you will find one under $200 overseas. i paid $179 plus $30 for postage. another reel i have that i run 4lb braid is a shimano twinpower 1000. it was around $300 from the local tackle shop and is an awesome light smooth reel for throwing plastics.

For a 1-3kg rod I would definitely opt for a 1000 size shimano either Symetre or Stradic, both will last decades with a little TLC and a wash after each session.
    Jack.

The 2000 Luvias da is the lightest in its class I believe if you can find one it would be the go ,or the pfluger patriarch aren't too bad either I have the Luvias and it's tough for its size and have taken some nice fish with it. I also have the pflueger patriarch 9525 which is the smallest version and comes in at 160g but I find much more than bream and you are going to get in trouble as its a bit light on in drag but the next model up has plenty ...Matt
    A bad days fishing has got to be better than any day at work......

I would go the new caldia 11 in the 2000 size mate..

Reasons why? It has 4kg of drag , it's only 205grams, comes with a spare spool & has mag seal.

I wouldn't wait for the new sol II or luvias as you don't get a spool & it's only has a 2kg drag & you will pay more for them..

Hi Mitch,

I have a brand new Pflueger Patriarch 9535 for sale in the Ausfish Classifieds section for $190. It weighs 211 gms (about the same as a Shimano 1000) and has 7 kg of drag. It might be a perfect match with your Lox rod - definitely worth a look.

PM or call me if you're interested.

Peter

The exact same thing happened to my Diawa Tierra over a year and a bit ago. I purchased a Stradic CI4 2500 off the net i got 2 for $400. And love them to bits couldn't fault them if i tried.

Bron

Consider a Daiwa Freams 2000 for around $200. Great reel, 4kg of drag, magseal and zaion body. I love mine!

I dont own any hi-end Shimanos and Daiwas but im sure they are very god, for less dollars i fish several Pflueger Supremes, medalists and Presidents, very happy with them especially the little presidents i run 6lb on for plastics.

I love the 2500 stradic ci4 for a light estuary combo. I have landed some big blue salmon, grunter and flatties and cannot fault it. However, i tend to agree with tunaticer that a 1000 size reel may suit you better. Tackle tour states the 2500 as having a 15lbs to 16lbs max drag and this would be overkill if you are only fishing 4lbs braid.