Thread: Baked Whole Coral Trout

Thumbs up Baked Whole Coral Trout

This fantastic recipe is great as its not too strong in flavours which really lets the magnificant eating qualities of Coral Trout come through. Very tasty

Approx 2kg gilled and gutted Coral Trout or similiar reef fish.
    Three tomatoes
    1/4 cup (60ml) of olive oil
    1.5 cups of breadcrumbs
    2 green onions (shallots) sliced diagonally
    1/2 cup chopped parsley
    1/4 cup of roughley crushed pine nuts
    1/4 cup of oregano leaves chopped
    Lemon wedges to serve
    Salt and pepper to season

Preheat oven to 200c. dice half of the tomatoes, other half are to be sliced reserving for later. heat oil in frypan, saute shallots for 3 min, add diced tomatoes, pine nuts, herbs and cook for another min. Remove from heat and stir in breadcrumbs. Set aside.

Make three large cut in thickest part of the fish, fill cavity with 3/4 of the breadcrumb mixture and place fish in large baking pan. Season fish well, lay sliced tomatoe on side fish and scatter remaining 1/4 cup of breadcrumb mixture on top. drizzle with oil, cover with foil and bake for 40 minutes. Thicker fish may take a little longer. serve with lemon wedges and salad.

enjoy

Re: Baked Whole Coral Trout

G'day Si and mouth watering reading through your recipe, have to ask if you have tried the above with Sweetlip, or Red jew?? especially baked in a webber???.
    Once upon a long time ago there would be a whole fish baked in the webber at least once a week and none would be without the oregano/oregano sauce..
    Cheers

Oh my God, that sounds so delicious Si.
    Cheers, Doug.
    Love to use Preditek or Kingfisher lures or Viva Lures when I am out fishing.

Quote Originally Posted by Volvo View Post
    G'day Si and mouth watering reading through your recipe, have to ask if you have tried the above with Sweetlip, or Red jew?? especially baked in a webber???.
    Once upon a long time ago there would be a whole fish baked in the webber at least once a week and none would be without the oregano/oregano sauce..
    Cheers
    gday volvo, i think they would be very nice mate.You could use any fish really i think. I have tried with red throat and spanish mackerel and both were nice, although the trout makes a presentation at a bbq gathering etc and tastes sublime. Red jew, red emp would too.
    Cheers

Quote Originally Posted by Goodoo haven View Post
    Oh my God, that sounds so delicious Si.
    haha, it is mate. cheers