Thread: Sandy Straits fishing charter

Sandy Straits fishing charter

gday guys,

A mate of mine was talking to me over the weekend about getting a Sandy Straits fishing charter started. He asked me if i knew how much it might cost and i said i had no idea but i was on this forum and would ask the question.

So does anyone know if you are able to do this? And also what would be involved re getting a commercial rego and the likes. Would anyone know where my mate could go to have a chat to someone about this?

Any help on this matter would be great because as i said i had no answers for him but i though maybe one of you guys might know?

Cheers macka

Re: Sandy Straits fishing charter

from what i understand there are a LOT of Hoops to jump thru, A LOT of regulations, Tell him to jump onto MSQ website and have a look there and talk to them about it.

The boat will have to be in Survey, He will have to be licensed accordingly (Coxswain), then insurance, ETC ETC

What's the go with being a guide then?

Isn't it some sort of a loophole to dodge a few headaches or something like that?

Quote Originally Posted by lethal098 View Post
    from what i understand there are a LOT of Hoops to jump thru, A LOT of regulations, Tell him to jump onto MSQ website and have a look there and talk to them about it.

The boat will have to be in Survey, He will have to be licensed accordingly (Coxswain), then insurance, ETC ETC
    thanks for that Lethal. I'll get him to get onto the MSQ website and chat to them.

We were thinking that there would be a lot of regulations and the likes.

Not Sure Muddy, i am sure there would still be some regulations attached to it,

I can't imagine it would be something that you could just walk in to. Govt will have all sorts of red tape. You will also have to compete against two guides who are amongst thebest around, bargy and paul dolan, who know the area real well. WHether this could be a good thing or not i dont know. they might be short of work, against that they might be looking for someone to fill a gap... might pay to call and ask them. better to increase the cake size rrather than take a slice of a smaller cake. just a few thoughts, not meant to discourage
    regards jim

I think there is a guy down the bottom end as well working out of Barnacles cafe at Tin Can. As far as I know all the guides have boats in survey and abide by all the rules. The only grey area is the Barry Mcdade/SCOFs sort of scenario where good fishermen are going out in the owners boat and showing them what to do. There are a couple of guys doing that down the Gold Coast and I do it from time to time as well. Something not mentioned above is you have to have a DPI charter permit licence. About $240 a year and you have to complete a logbook daily and submit monthly. Even the freshwater guides do that. I started off working for Motty from time to time and he had to do one. Go on a Sunwater dam and you need approval from them. Go on any other dams and you need approval from whatever authority.

thanks for all the info guys. i did think it would be one hoop jump after the other and in my eyes not worth it. my mate has been fishing the straits for about 25 years and knows the area really well. we always seem to come back with a feed of both fish and crabs. he is just in between jobs and thought that this might be something up his alley. but after showing him everything you guys have said both him and i have thought might leave it to the pros hahaha. thanks again for the great info guys.