Thread: Summer whiting

Summer whiting

Looks like the summer whiting are going to start spawning early this year has anyone else noticed this?
    Fished some of my favourite spots down the Caboolture river this morning, found both the quailty and numbers of summer whiting to be good.
    On cleaning them found they where all fully rowed up all ready.
    Cheers Martin

Re: Summer whiting

hi martin, i've not fished down the river for the last 2 months but i found last year the summeries were there all through winter, they became hard to find when the weed took over for a bit, but even still, once you found where they were hiding you could still get a feed.

Quote Originally Posted by PADDLES View Post
    hi martin, i've not fished down the river for the last 2 months but i found last year the summeries were there all through winter, they became hard to find when the weed took over for a bit, but even still, once you found where they were hiding you could still get a feed.
    Before these last couple of wet years I used to get a lot of good quality whiting right up the river in the middle of winter but with all the floods they seem to be holding closer to the mouth lately.
    Was just a bit surprised at how early the spawning seems to be hapening this year.
    Cheers Martin

I just saw that dean caught nice feed up the pine today

I fished the Caboolture River yesterday chasing Flathead with soft plastics and hard bodies in the morning run in tide. I have never seen so much snot weed in the river and every lure looked like Cousin It (from the Addams Family) when I pulled it in. Called it quits at midday and went home without a keeper.

I don't believe that the snot weed is only in the Caboolture River. Is there less weed on the run out tide?

Hi
    The weed is a problem everywhere at present. We were between Beachie and Bribie and found it bad in places. No difference with run in or out tides. Some places in the river seem worse than others.

Getting back on thread I noticed a couple of weeks back the whiting were fat and full of roe. Hopefully if the weed clears spot x might produce a good feed.

Ronnie

that's all i'm waiting for too mrs ronnie, i've seen your little black boat near my favourite haunt a few times, i'll have to stop and say g'day next time

Quote Originally Posted by Seahorse View Post
    I just saw that dean caught nice feed up the pine today
    seems to be plenty around but just need to look around a bit for the good patches of them. As others said, they were all very healthy fish and every one roed up.

Next to no weed around the mouth of the pine either.

Dean

Just got back from Cab River with about a doz 30cm+ whiting from what is now our "Super Spot". Thanks Mrs Ronnie. I took your advice.

good work for a nice feed mr squiggle, don't be telling anyone where

so someone gives you some help and tells you where to go and now you want to keep secrets.

typical

Quote Originally Posted by itsmango View Post
    so someone gives you some help and tells you where to go and now you want to keep secrets.

typical
    Yeh thats abit rude isn't it. I point him in the right direction and now he thinks he owns the place. And whats more doesn't even invite you fishin for abit more local knowledge.

And Paddles-- whats this Black Boat bit-- last time i looked my boat was Purple.

Ronnie

Quote Originally Posted by itsmango View Post

typical
    Geez. And wouldn't this be the right place to describe a spot!I'll tell you here as long as everyone else promises not to read it.

i thought it was black, not purple ................ maybe i'm colour blind!

Hey Paddles
    Its Ford P3- Purple but looks black sometimes-- depends on the angle you look at it from.

Then again--

Ronnie