Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Fishers welcome Queens birthday holiday decision

Re: Fishers welcome Queens birthday holiday decision

well, where there's winners there's always losers, apparently the caxton street seafood festival organisers aren't too happy about labour day being moved from it's more traditional communist mayday weekend.

Why do we have to be in-line with other States?
    Do we need States if all the States are inline with each other? What's the point if they're all the same??

Is daylight saving going to be introduced in QLD to be inline with other States?
    Why don't we celebrate the Queen's Birthday.....well on her birthday? (the 21st of April)
    I intend on living for-ever....so far so good

I have daylight saving in line with NSW and start early and leave early - if everyone else stays off the road and in bed or at work when I travel then I think it is good - mind you I do have daylight saving all year round cuz it's good - 30 minutes travel rather than over one hour when everyone else travels.

So - why do we have a queen? And on it goes. Personally I don't mind the monarchy and enjoy the holiday - but that's why we are all different.

I am not a fan of people forcing their ideas on others.

I don't like guns - so you can't have one. I don't like fishing, so everywhere should be no fishing.

I don't like lots of things but if I say them then I am "socially unacceptable", "a red-neck"

This thread can go on forever really.

I think I will leave it to others
    Cheers

Trev

Now that I am retired, I think that all public holidays should be banned.

At least that will free up the boat ramps on a few extra days of the year.

There is real evidence that people don't want time off from work anyway. When I was a young man, all the shops were shut on Saturday afternoons and Sundays. Likewise petrol stations. You could only buy petrol in Brisbane after hours at Barnes Auto in Adelaide Street.

Nowadays, the shops are open every day of the week including a lot of public holidays and until 9 pm on weekdays. Clearly, people would rather work than have time off.

This is the press release that we want to see ...

All Queenslanders welcome public holiday decision

Member for Cleveland, Mark Robinson today welcomed the announcement by the Newman LNP government that all public holidays will be scrapped.

"It is a common sense decision to scrap all holidays and a decision that the Redlands community has welcomed," Dr Robinson said.

"The nationally significant annual fishing event 'The Wilson Moreton Bay & Offshore Family Fishing Challenge' hosted by the Redland Bay Amateur Fishing Club will now be able to become a truly international, very offshore event by moving to Nauru.

"The Fishing Challenge has a 21 year old history in the Redlands and is one of the most well known major fishing events in Australia. Its extension to Nauru means that refugee mums, dads and children will be able to catch a fish and have family fun on the ocean and perhaps win a prize for it.

"This decision supports tourism and small business in the Redlands by saving such time-sensitive events that provide fun and healthy activities for local families and freeing up all the boat ramps for the deserving retired people. Revenue to the Redlands will increase because of the extra days on which parking meters will operate and also because of the associated parking fines .

"To break up the concentration of public holidays in a full year by eliminating them will encourage all other states to come into line in the interest of national productivity.

To show leadership on this issue, state parliament will now sit seven days per week 52 weeks per year. To support the Muslim community in their struggle to get equal recognition for Ramadan in the work calendar, Christmas will also be banned."

luv it charlie, but you'd be the last bloke in the world to get my vote
    fishing's as simple as 3 P's - patience, perserverance and PLASTIC!

Hands up those who get paid for not working on public holidays.

Not me.

Rod

My dictionary defines green as ‘unripe, immature, undeveloped'. Perfect description.

Most political parties are seen as interested in what the voters think, the Greens are seen as thinking the community should be interested in what they think.

i'm not voting for you either charlie ............................... ya cranky retiree

Quote Originally Posted by charleville View Post
    Now that I am retired, I think that all public holidays should be banned.

At least that will free up the boat ramps on a few extra days of the year.

There is real evidence that people don't want time off from work anyway. When I was a young man, all the shops were shut on Saturday afternoons and Sundays. Likewise petrol stations. You could only buy petrol in Brisbane after hours at Barnes Auto in Adelaide Street.

Nowadays, the shops are open every day of the week including a lot of public holidays and until 9 pm on weekdays. Clearly, people would rather work than have time off.

This is the press release that we want to see ...

All Queenslanders welcome public holiday decision

Member for Cleveland, Mark Robinson today welcomed the announcement by the Newman LNP government that all public holidays will be scrapped.

"It is a common sense decision to scrap all holidays and a decision that the Redlands community has welcomed," Dr Robinson said.

"The nationally significant annual fishing event 'The Wilson Moreton Bay & Offshore Family Fishing Challenge' hosted by the Redland Bay Amateur Fishing Club will now be able to become a truly international, very offshore event by moving to Nauru.

"The Fishing Challenge has a 21 year old history in the Redlands and is one of the most well known major fishing events in Australia. Its extension to Nauru means that refugee mums, dads and children will be able to catch a fish and have family fun on the ocean and perhaps win a prize for it.

"This decision supports tourism and small business in the Redlands by saving such time-sensitive events that provide fun and healthy activities for local families and freeing up all the boat ramps for the deserving retired people. Revenue to the Redlands will increase because of the extra days on which parking meters will operate and also because of the associated parking fines .

"To break up the concentration of public holidays in a full year by eliminating them will encourage all other states to come into line in the interest of national productivity.

To show leadership on this issue, state parliament will now sit seven days per week 52 weeks per year. To support the Muslim community in their struggle to get equal recognition for Ramadan in the work calendar, Christmas will also be banned."

I wouldn't say people clearly want to work on Public Hols just because the shops and garages are open Charlie. Some may want to work them for the extra coin but I've found most would rather spend the time with family, mates or even fishing. We have close to 500 staff and use to run with 20 to 25% on most hols. About 1/2 of those wanted to be there and volunteered, the rest needed to be rostered on. Lately we run with full staff on hols and it's a bun fight. My wife works for BigW and tells me they it's the same there.

Like the no public hol idea though, no more 15% extra on a cup of coffee from Gloria Jeans.
    Cheers
    ~~~><))))*>

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Delisser View Post
    I wouldn't say people clearly want to work on Public Hols just because the shops and garages are open Charlie.

You take me too seriously, Mike. Charlie is not that serious of a bloke.

Nonetheless, I think that people are working themselves into a virtual slavery situation by working all weekend when they do it for the money. I am not convinced that people are happier now than when they worked only week days or week days plus Saturday morning. They are certainly not getting the opportunity to enjoy weekend sport like they used to, which in itself is not good for our collective health. Thanks to modern/Chinese manufacture a lot of the extra dollars are just going up in smoke on highly depreciating consumer toys which leave the owner no better off after they are no longer the fashionable item to have, which is usually shorter than their economic life.

However, if you are not a card carrying practising Christian, why should you get Easter and Christmas holidays?

If you are not a card carrying unionist, why should you get a Labour Day holiday?

In an era of entertainment choice overload, why should shareholders of public companies subsidise those antiquated, tired, old entertainment events known as the Ekka or regional shows by giving staff a public holiday ostensibly to attend them? Brisbane has a population of 2.15 million people yet the 2012 Ekka attendance was only 400 000 so why should shareholders pay for a goofy unnecessary public holiday that has no relevance for most people to the event that it proposes to support? Half of the attendees would be retirees or children anyway so the numbers are less favorable to support the holiday.

As for the Queens Birthday holiday, who celebrates homage to her majesty on that day? Another drain on shareholders.

Boxing Day? Why???

I concede that Anzac Day, New Year's Day (only because half the staff would be hung over and useless) and possibly Australia Day (Perhaps we had better check with the indigenous community whether we should have that one.) could be allowed but the rest are just unwarranted drains on national productivity and my free and easy access to boat ramps.

And just to add to what Charlie has said for those of us who treat every day as a public holiday.....public holidays confuse the beggesus out on me when I drive through school zones.
    Sometimes I have no idea if school is in or not so, in my opinion, everyday should be a school day.
    I intend on living for-ever....so far so good

I like how you think Bruce..but I also think that every Wednesday should be declared Retirees' Day.

Retirees' Day should be where all retirees are confined to their residence. This will make places like shopping centres and business houses quieter so those of us with busy schedules can do some business without being held up by the old ditherers. The roads will also be quieter. Workers who are taking sickies will also have easier access to boat ramps etc.
    Doctors will be easier to get into without all those lining up for their script refills etc.

The list is endless...hehe

Quote Originally Posted by PinHead View Post
    I like how you think Bruce..but I also think that every Wednesday should be declared Retirees' Day.

Retirees' Day should be where all retirees are confined to their residence. This will make places like shopping centres and business houses quieter so those of us with busy schedules can do some business without being held up by the old ditherers. The roads will also be quieter. Workers who are taking sickies will also have easier access to boat ramps etc.
    Doctors will be easier to get into without all those lining up for their script refills etc.

hmm sounds good,. would keep all those frikken caravans off the road and the "sloops with 2 POB" out of the water...

but maybe go one step further .... retiree open season day, ease the burden on the pension system, health system, and the sporting shooters assn. would be all for it. Even the govt could benefit with a licence no doubt.

Quote Originally Posted by PinHead View Post

I am happy to support that but it cannot be mid week. It has to be on a Saturday.

Not only that but it needs to include the rule that that is the only day on which screaming kids are allowed to be taken shopping and on aeroplanes.

In fact, I reckon that there is a whole universe of opportunities available relating to screaming kids.

eg no baby should ever be allowed within 6 metres of business class on any aeroplane. That will have the added benefit of saving the parents some money on their fare.

Gags should be made available at all movie theatres to gag anyone who won't shut up during a movie and that it be made a State law that citizens face imprisonment for failing their duty of care if they don't do this to offending movie goers.

All people sampling grapes or cherries in supermarkets with no obvious intention of buying any to be locked in a pillory for three hours which would just be enough for them to have to pay for their parking at a Westfield shopping centre. Only adult pillory sizes would need to be provided as it is not the kids who do this; they already understand that it is stealing.

Another...

No smoker should ever receive free treatment at a public hospital for heart attacks, lung cancer, stroke etc. You knew what was coming and still kept doing it; why do you expect the rest of us who heeded the warnings and demonstrations given at high school to pay for it?

As you say, Greg, the list is endless.

Quote Originally Posted by charleville View Post
    No smoker should ever receive free treatment at a public hospital for heart attacks, lung cancer, stroke etc. You knew what was coming and still kept doing it; why do you expect the rest of us who heeded the warnings and demonstrations given at high school to pay for it?
    Soooo.

What is done with the tax on tobacco products?

Hmmmm.

Rod

My dictionary defines green as ‘unripe, immature, undeveloped'. Perfect description.

Most political parties are seen as interested in what the voters think, the Greens are seen as thinking the community should be interested in what they think.

Quote Originally Posted by mowerman View Post
    Soooo.

What is done with the tax on tobacco products?

I see what you are getting at. Good idea. Let's double it.