Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Primus Mammoth Fridges

Re: Primus Mammoth Fridges

I started loading the fridge for the 3 day boys weekend of trail riding. Wives are coming too, so need a few creature comforts like champagne etc. I have set the fridge for beer on one side (2degC), food the other(4degC). The beer fridge side is meant to be a freezer, so is the smaller of the two compartments, and hides the compressor below. So far, I have managed to fit a full carton of XXXX stubbies, and 6 bottles of champagne in that side.

I have a question, who uses the basket supplied with their fridges? Before I drowned my waeco, the first thing I did was remove this because it was useless. Now the primus fridge has 2 baskets, one each side. The freezer basket takes up the best part of the freezer, and the fridge basket takes up all of the fridge compartment. The fridge compartment is like a chest freezer, its deep and holds a fair amount of stuff. I have taken the freezer basket and put it into the fridge side, that way I can pack stuff in the bottom, and now I can access it without having to remove everything. All portable fridges should be like that. Should have 2 baskets on the fridge side. I might see if the old waeco basket will fit.

Anyway, I want to take a multimeter to measure the current draw off 12V. Not sure how to do it given the little time I have left. I need to make an adaptor to plug into the multimeter, with a hella plug and socket... Might have to wait till next time, but I will try to knock up something in time.

That website says:

Power Consumption: 2.7A - 5.4A (while compressor is running)

So if you have an idea of the percentage of time the compressor is on you can get an idea of power draw per day.

Got a Waeco 110 for sale in the classifieds if anyone is interested? Mint condition only used twice.

See my breeder fish photography here: https://kevindickinsonfineartphot.sm...opical-Fish-2/
    Quality digital copies free to Ausfishers............use as wallpaper or can be printed......size up to 20 x16. PM for details.

I was looking around for my ex son in law early last year for a fridge for a long haul camping trip for him.
    Found two good fridge/freezers like a caravan fridge for sale in the states. Alloy cabinets, Danfoss compressors, 12/110/gas models, one with a 12/240/gas variation available. Both were configured like caravan fridges with side opening doors for both freezer and fridge separately. From memory they were 140 litre and 160 litre roughly. Price was similar to the biggest Waeco. Shipping however would probably kill it unless you could organise a part load in a container or something.
    Be perfect for nesting in the back of the 4wd rather than an esky style camping fridge where you have to look over the top to find something.
    Jack.

Well 3 days, no grief. Fridge is great. I have a 130ah AGM in the car as a second battery. Parked up at the campsite about 11am Friday, hooked up the 120W solar panel. Periodically checked the voltage over the weekend, and the lowest it got was about 12.3V. Saturday had broken cloud too. Battery was still about 12.5V when we left on Sunday at lunch.

So I think the 130ah battery and 120W solar panel will be just fine. I can always fire up the car for a couple of hours if I need, or worst case can start the generator.

Awesome stuff Andy . I just bought a 92L EvaKool (identical to the Primus) and am trying to work out which battery to add to the setup, have a 120W solar panel kit on the way and the research into batteries has me scratching my head. Seems like a fantastic unit though, insulation on it has to be some of the best around but hopefully a hot Melbourne summer will give it a good workout.

Cheers.

Quote Originally Posted by joey_1987 View Post
    Awesome stuff Andy . I just bought a 92L EvaKool (identical to the Primus) and am trying to work out which battery to add to the setup, have a 120W solar panel kit on the way and the research into batteries has me scratching my head. Seems like a fantastic unit though, insulation on it has to be some of the best around but hopefully a hot Melbourne summer will give it a good workout.

Cheers.
    I cant remember what colour the evakool was, but the grey on the primus really sucks in the heat from the sun. I might end up repainting my white yet. I am going to track down an insulated cover first, see if that helps.

FWIW, on the weekend, I left mine in the tray of the ute, but I had a small tarp covering the tray to keep the sun off.

The EvaKool is the same grey..it's identical to the Primus except for the brand logos on it. I was thinking I would need to get a light coloured cover of some description, I am considering getting one custom made (probably in white) through a fabric trimmer or sailmaker. Is the insulation sufficient even if the grey outer is heating up? The foam should prevent most of the heat from reaching the box.
    Cheers.

Quote Originally Posted by joey_1987 View Post
    The EvaKool is the same grey..it's identical to the Primus except for the brand logos on it. I was thinking I would need to get a light coloured cover of some description, I am considering getting one custom made (probably in white) through a fabric trimmer or sailmaker. Is the insulation sufficient even if the grey outer is heating up? The foam should prevent most of the heat from reaching the box.
    Cheers.
    The foam is good, but I reckon it would still make a difference. The cooler you keep it, the less time the fridge will be running.

Chasing an old thread and found this. Just thought I would say my primus mammoth is still going strong. Been running as a beer fridge for the last year whilst renovating this house. Its about to be retired now the old place is sold and the beer fridge is now here!

According to this thread it was bought about August 2012, now September 2014 so thats 2 years of faithful service. Its seen a few places too.

Quote Originally Posted by waterbouy View Post
    Im looking at the Natioal Luna fridge freezer. http://www.nationalluna.com/refrigeration.htm
    They look real nice with a price tag to match! My homework tells me they are the best!
    Any1 got 1? feed back?

Im interested in the long jeperty of the Primus and how much power it draws TheRealAndy?
    Hey WB

I have a Luna and is my every day fridge in the back of teh ute these days. Had it for about 5 years and they are good gear. Bloody expensive but. It is their thick wall and lid insulation that makes them so good on power draw.

In saying that I also have an original B model 29 ltr Engel that has never been turned off in 25 years and spent about 17 of them in the back of a ute. It has had one regas and a control board.

Prefer the Luna but, and so much quiter
    Cheers

Steven

Sad to report that the Mammoth has died....

Runs on 240V ok but when I plug it into 12V it keeps blowing the fuse. Pulled it down, can confirm that its the Danfoss controller that has failed. Found a mob online that sells danfoss parts, and the control module is about $285. Only problem is I leave to go camping on Wednesday.. Not happy Jan.

On a side note, the fridge itself is well build inside, a lot more serviceable than the waeco was. I am going to try have a crack at repairing the control module....

Its worth noting that I bought this fridge because it had the danfoss compressor as opposed to a chinese knock off. Nice to know that the danfoss controller was the weak point. Maybe next time its going to have to be an Engel.

Bingo, found faulty part already.

Part called a transzorb, designed to stop transients (power spikes). Its failed short circuit, which is pretty typical. Odd that it failed, because I hooked it to my deep cycle camping battery that has nothing else connected to it. The fridge has been running on 240V for ages (I keep it running all the time, beer fridge for the shed), so I guess its possible one of the storms may have done the damage. Still odd that it would be the only part that failed though... Never mind.

EDIT: Most annoying thing, No one has stock in Australia of the part I need. I pulled the failed part (not needed to make it run, only used for protection) and the fridge is now working fine. More annoying thing, is that I have a very similar part here that would almost do the job. I might just use the part I have for peace of mind, and order the correct part when I return. The part I have wont offer quite the same protection, but I will only be running on battery anyway, so not much chance of power surges!!

Hey where are you located.
    I just killed a 65L dual zone from corroded gas pipes internally. Terminal failure.

The controller and danfoss still run just won't hold gas.

I could remove the part and send it to you if it will reach you in time.

I plan to keep it only as a basic esky until I replace it with the same fridge again.

Damo's dodgy boat building repair centre.
    Damo's dodgy boat repairs.
    1993 bermuda by Haines 530f - completed resto.
    1976 cruisecraft rogue 14 - estuary weapon.
    1984 vickers easyrider 156 - future project.

Quote Originally Posted by Rip it up View Post
    Hey where are you located.
    I just killed a 65L dual zone from corroded gas pipes internally. Terminal failure.

The controller and danfoss still run just won't hold gas.

I could remove the part and send it to you if it will reach you in time.

I plan to keep it only as a basic esky until I replace it with the same fridge again.

Damo's dodgy boat building repair centre.

I am at Shorncliffe. Its all good though, I got it working. Going to use the part I have here for some level of protection. Not sure why I am worried about it though, this is one of my areas of expertise and I know I dont need the part!! I am going to order the parts I need and will replace them when I get home. Its really only needed if you intend on powering it from a car, which I dont plan to do (new car not set up for it yet).

Hang on to the controller, that way if you ever have a failure you have a spare. The part number of the controller I have is 101n0500 (genuine danfoss/secop). Its actually pretty well built, and the whole circuit board is encapsulated in a silicon conformal coating to protect if from corrosion. We use silicon comformal coatings in commercial gear, but this is the first time I have ever seen it used in consumer grade electronics.

Thanks for the offer though, appreciated.