Thread: Buying a kayak for Summer(bass fishing)HELP

Buying a kayak for Summer(bass fishing)HELP

As Mr. Tax man is providing me with some money very shorty Ive been looking through the net for a kayak.Firstly I no it needs at least 2 rod holders and a couple storage hatches Im only looking to spend a maximum of $900 on the kayak.Im looking for something quite smallish as i want to launch in some tight little rivers/waterways and Hinze dam of course.I was just after any opinions or suggestions from anyone about any kayaks that may suit this kind of freshwater fishing for me.
    These 3 kayaks are my favourites so far. Are they and good/anyone got one of these.
    C-kayak Australia,scorpio terrapin
    Extreme kayaks,Fish Bandit
    Mantra kayaks,Noa.
    Any info on kayaks or kayak fishing is appreciated.

Thanks in Advance Bron

Re: Buying a kayak for Summer(bass fishing)HELP

Bronson , i have a Australis bass you can have for $300 if you want it there $750 new

Shes been used has scratch's on bottom no holes leaks etc , best for tight water they dont trek very well small and compact to throw around , specs has 2 rod holders , in Mudgee

Australis BASS Kayak fitted with Rod Holders - Paddle included

Length: 2.8m
    Width: 77cm
    Depth: 32cm
    Cockpit: 55 x 91 cm
    Weight: 18kg
    Capacity: 130kg

Quote Originally Posted by childers View Post
    Bronson , i have a Australis bass you can have for $300 if you want it there $750 new

Shes been used has scratch's on bottom no holes leaks etc , best for tight water they dont trek very well small and compact to throw around , specs has 2 rod holders , in Mudgee

Australis BASS Kayak fitted with Rod Holders - Paddle included

Length: 2.8m
    Width: 77cm
    Depth: 32cm
    Cockpit: 55 x 91 cm
    Weight: 18kg
    Capacity: 130kg
    childers i have sent you a PM thanks

Bass Kayak on the water at Clarie Hall
    Attached Images Attached Images

The kayak looks good on the water,nice dark looking bass you pulled on a spinnerbait also. IM already getting ideas on how to pimp the kayak out. Clarie Hall looks like a beautiful dam I think ill be venturing up that way for a few bass sessions this summer.In my soon to be new kayak.

Nice work, Childers. Nice dam that, and the surrounding rivers also offer great bass action too.

Had a great session at Clarrie Hall last year with the wife...had a 2 hour session and targetted the small lilly pad bays and we collectively scored 10 bass on SX48's. She also got her PB bass of 37cm on a stiffy lure while trolling. It's a session that will stay with us forever.

Cheers, Pete
    ====================
    Hobie Outback 2012 &
    Hobie Oasis 2012
    ====================

G'day Bronson, I have had my scorpio terrapin for just over 6 months.

They are easy to move by yourself and fit very nicely in the back of a ute. A kayay trolley (modified hand trolley) fits nicely in the back cargo bay. The cargo bay holds a 25L esky easily. Goes very well in the narrow and tight creeks. For creeks and rivers I've found it great.

The only issue I've had is that its not very quick and its hard work paddling around the dams/constantly paddling for awhile. In saying that though its only 2.7metres long.

I hope this helps and good luck,

Cheers Brad.

Thanks for your input bradleyI bought the Australia bass kayak of Childers and have taken i out Hinze Dam twice already landed 1 bass on the troll the first 10 minutes of paddling. As you say its hard to paddle around the dams i can agree with you there quite hard work non stop paddling to keep the rods out back from crossing while trolling. My arms do get quite sore but Im only young so i just push through it knowing that its making me arms stronger.Cant wait for this hot wether to come and ill put some good meters in the kayak.

Bron

Bronson, try just towing one lure, life's a lot simpler, I gave using more than one rod on a yak.

Bronson,

If you really want to troll 2 lures at once, then having a good rod holder set-up is a must. Something that allows for a wide spread, like what I and others have (see pic of my Hobie Outback).

So if you have 2 x 7 foot rods you will have a spread of about 16 feet.

I always troll 2 lures, as I can put 2 different colours/lure types on to see what the fish want to hit on the day. It also gives you twice the possibilities of catching a fish. You just gotta use floating lures in snaggy areas. I rarely get my lines tangling (unless I'm turning a lot) - in this situation have one lure long and one lure short.

Was fishing out at Wivenhoe Dam 2 weeks back and was trolling 2 lures around the deeper sections near Horse Paddock and decided to change the lure on one of the rods - so stopped pedalling and started reeling in the lure. Was nearly at a dead stop when the other rod buckled over and line started peeling off. Got a fat 40cm Bass. If I was only trolling the one lure probably wouldn't have got this fish, as the lure I was changing was the one I would have suck with normally.

Cheers,

Pete

Attachment 83985
    ====================
    Hobie Outback 2012 &
    Hobie Oasis 2012
    ====================