Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast

Thread: The unofficial Fraser Island Tailor tracking thread.

Ausfish Silver Member
    Blog Entries

Re: The unofficial Fraser Island Tailor tracking thread.

Hey Induna have you any idea how long they have been there. Cheers Manta Man

Hi Manta man I don't really know how long the've been there. It looked like a family affair with Dad, Grandad and alll the kids up there (possibly for the duration of the school holidays)

They have a permanent camp at the cape and have had for decades. Grandad is the licence holder which has a sunset clause attached following his successful appeal to the Fisheries Tribunal against the netting ban for eastern and northern Fraser that FQ tried to introduce in the late 80s. Targeting tailor is not supposed to happen but there is a 100kg bycatch allowance.
    Of my last 15 or so trips to the cape to camp over the last 10 years, these guys - grandad and son in law - have been there netting on about 12 of those occasions and each of these trips has been almost pointless fishing wise. The other 3 trips have been wonderful fishing with all sorts of things going on. One of these was the week before the Anzac Day long weekend about 6 or 7 years ago when we had a ball on gt, queenies, goldens, tailor, whiting, bream, tarwhine, dart & then the net arrived on the Thursday and shut everything down. Only things caught by recs over the weekend were toadfish. These days we try to go there when we don't think the pros will be there - 30 knot south easters and rain forecast during autumn. What a difference it makes to the fishing when the nets aren't there! And what a difference the nets have made to the fish there - was an unbroken school of whiting from the spit to Rooneys about 3 metres out in the 70s. Scores of flathead could be caught from the large sandbank in front of the camping area, tailor and queenies plentiful, spotties spawning there at times, gt and goldens always present, large pods of 40 to 60 dolphin herding queenies on to the beach......
    It was very different then - a constant stream of dugong, turtles, dolphin and fish going past camp to watch and seabirds always present and active. Was always a few tame cormorant that could be hand fed and little long haired wallabies that remain unidentified and are now extinct would come into camp to feed out of our hands. The dingoes being allowed to increase in number during the 80s and early 90s took care of these wallabies.

There are so many reasons why Sandy Cape should not be netted apart from the fact that they are netting inside World Heritage listed waters. I also have to wonder about the quality of fish that the pros are selling - some of them have been sitting in an esky for a week underneath each subsequent haul.

Quote Originally Posted by Slider View Post
    I also have to wonder about the quality of fish that the pros are selling - some of them have been sitting in an esky for a week underneath each subsequent haul.
    Yeah I was wondering how they got their catch to a market, that is very ordinary and reinforces the reasons why you wouldn't buy fish for your own consumption....

Quote Originally Posted by Just_chips View Post
    Yeah I was wondering how they got their catch to a market, that is very ordinary and reinforces the reasons why you wouldn't buy fish for your own consumption....
    The only time i see tailor etc at market is when i go deep into immigrant country in sydneys western suburbs. Net marks on the fish and everything. Some people like there fish tangy.

Just got back from 2 weeks at Fraser, fish must of been in hiding and made you work hard for a feed, but did manage to get some nice sized greenbacks, 4 in total from 2.5Kg up to 3.2Kg, did catch some choppers but nothing worth talking about. The odd jew was landed but most were under size. Still makes you hungry to go back next year!!!

Any reports from Fraser on the beach conditions and fishing? I know the weather has been shocking but some keen bugger must have been up there lately.
    Heath
    Gold Coast
    WWW.GCFISHING.COM

Heading up Tuesday hopefully....Have to do some work....Will report Tue or Wed

rusco

Thanks mate, that would be great!
    Heath
    Gold Coast
    WWW.GCFISHING.COM

OK here we go....Inskip pt....not alot of sand left due to sinkhole heading west to barge landing. Hook Point.......A few trees down around actual point area...Half to low tide only. Hook point to eurong.....A bit narrow to first cutting..around trawler wreck.Poyungan and Yidney rocks best to use the boards. Happy Valley to Eli Creek...rocks out (Mclachlans I think) go over the back of rocks...A couple of narrow bits but no problems. Indian Head...Track ok but drying out....Beach is good up high but with S/E for a week or so will be better.....No sign of pippies...worms scarce due to suds on beach....some debris but improves the further up the island you get...Waddy report tomorrow night

Cheers

Rusco

Part 2....Good gutters from Maheno to Indian. Boat gutter at Waddy shallow ...A few dart and whiting about...Will get better

Rusco

Thanks Rusco.

You guys heading up the Cape at all? Let us know what its like if you do.
    Heath
    Gold Coast
    WWW.GCFISHING.COM

Hadnt planned a Cape trip.. but will check with rangers tomorrow morning...have to do some work sooner or later

Rusco

Thanks mate! Look forward to hearing back
    Heath
    Gold Coast
    WWW.GCFISHING.COM

Howd ya go mate?? Get to the Cape ok?