Page 6 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast

Thread: The unofficial Fraser Island Tailor tracking thread.

Re: The unofficial Fraser Island Tailor tracking thread.

Hi, heading up the cape in the next few days, any one know or seen the condition of nkgala rocks at the moment, apart the standard fraser report which was updated today,

Cheers

Yep all clear on Low tide

Tailorfiisho, thanks for the info, just concerned with morning high, may not arrive at nkgala at low, is ther much room either side of the tide at the mo to cross?

Any info will be greatly appreciated

Cheers dan

Cool cool, I'll stick on UHF channel 22. ChillaPete is the call name. Contact me. Would love to share spots, reports and where they are on the chew 24/7 (Im not going over to be selFISH, im not going over to SELLfish, im going over to FISH... Arent you??? Lets keep in contact. Im around Orchid beach to Waddy from midday 30 Sept. email me ... I'm online 25/8 (if that's even possible) chillapeteATgmailD0tcom
    "" Hello ? .... Yes Dear, just throwing out the left over bait ! ""

Don't suppose any returned fishos went over the Inside beach for a look during all the Northerlies we've been having? Any beach reports?
    nil carborundum illegitimi

just got back today.
    lots of under size tailor but not many legal ones around how ever the spanish are making up for it this is a pic of a fish i got yesturday it went 25.7kg on the pro's scale.
    i caught the fish just north of the ocean lakes entrance north of waddy point.
    After a few days of catching no fish i decided to join the crowds and at least catch a few tailor before heading home. after about 2 hours of none stop throw for throw tailor fishing which was great fun on light gear one of my mate talked me into swimming one out live using a none return sliding rig which i put out just north of the big crowd as not to have people tangling up with me. once i did, it didnt take long to be rewarded this great fish.
    so to anyone heading up soon i would suggest fishing for them as there are a few around and this one had 3 sets of gang hooks in its guts so use wire when fishing for tailor never no whats going to eat your bait
    Attached Thumbnails - Click to enlarge Attached Thumbnails - Click to enlarge Click image for larger version. 

Name:	377725_10152101126295573_657282889_n.jpg 
Views:	0 
Size:	66.2 KB 
ID:	84233  

Quote Originally Posted by wasted wages View Post
    just got back today.
    lots of under size tailor but not many legal ones around how ever the spanish are making up for it this is a pic of a fish i got yesturday it went 25.7kg on the pro's scaleAttachment 84229
    Hey mate photo didn't work, might need resizing or something. Would love to see it and hear a bit more info on how and maybe even where you caught it. Would be a thrill to get a fish like that off the beach!

EDIT:

Ok can see the fish now. Bloody awesome.

Kev

Once more I returned from Fraser yesterday, as Wasted Wages said lots of small 30 - 34cm tailor even a few smaller ones just bigger then the pillie, best this year for me was 51cm a bit back from the 80+cm model last year (only one of three fish i bothered keeping), what they lacked in size they made up for in numbers. We found we spent most of our time just south of the ocean lakes entrance in a fairly nondescript gutter, best fishing was dawn but they hung around for a while into the morning. Only caught two on pillies which included the largest one.
    Just Chips i tried poppers as we talked about around this time last year but i think they had too big a cup because it was hard work with no result, learnt a lot from this trip on fishing for them on slugs. All the fish i caught were mostly on a 40gm gillies slug a few on the same slug in 60gm when the water was moving too much for the 40gm to sink, even one on a gillies surf popper tied in front of the metal slug. I found i could see the school and if i could cast to them i would nearly always catch one, in the middle of the day i had to work the lure differently/harder sometimes stopping the lure and when i went to retrieve it again often they would be on it or even slowing the rate right down with the occasional jerk??
    Best tip was a fast to flat out retrieval rate and good long casts, the rod made at the rod building weekend worked very well for long casts, better then the old bait rod.
    Wasted Wages, saw you catch the spanish from further up the beach nicely done, also saw another guy catch a trevally off the beach weighed 3kg on 6lb braid with a 30lb leader, had him hopping.
    Hopefully i have covered everything, All in all another great trip.
    Iain

Mate that is epic, congrats. Gr8 spanish from a boat or yak, but absolutely awesome off the beach. Would have gone 1.5m+ i guess. Would have taken a bit of line and taken a while to bring in as well.

Hey Iain,

Thanks for the report. We head up next Saturday morning, hoping some bigger fish move in, but if they don't who cares, 2 weeks in paradise without a phone is what I'm looking forward to. I'm still keen to try the poppering but also have some stick baits which I reckon will be just as effective, have also considered some of those waxwings as they really look like they'd go alright too.

If the swell allows me out in the yak I might look at towing a live tailor along just behind the breakers and see how it goes.

Kev

As all the other reports have said, plenty of small tailor around. Size increased a bit throughout the week as well. Ill be back up in october so hopefulyl the big oens have moved in by then. Had a few cracks with live tailor for spanyids, but no luck.

A lot of good holes up there at the moment. Slow travelling on the eastern beach with heaps of corrugations and hundreds of creeks. Tough to get your momentum up.

Kev, I bet your starting to have trouble getting motivated to work? I had not heard of the waxwings but they look good in the two larger sizes. If the small fish are there I don’t think it matters what you throw at them, if it landed in the water near them they nailed it. Did you end up buying a new rod to throw metals?
    We had a few guys who were fishing with bait and had 40 to 60 lb leaders sliced through, maybe the Spanish where right in the gutter as well. The fish did improve little in size towards the end of the week.
    Fishieries were on the beach checking size which was good to see as some of the tailor going into buckets where a bit short one end. As jackash mentioned when we went up the beach it was pretty ordinary but the low tide run home was as good as I have seen especially hook point.
    Iain

Wasted Wages that is one boofheaded ball-tearing spaniard, and off the beach at that. Seriously, big handshake from me. Did you swim the tailor into the first, second or third gut? Some seriously big taxmen patrol those gutters (which I'm sure you know), so you've got some kahunas, that's for sure.Great result.

Cuzza

Yeh Iain, got me a 6-10kg shimano aero wave graphite. There were a few suitable rods on the market but this was at the bottom end so not a huge investment, around $130 from Jones tackle. Just lots crisper than using a glass rod, teamed up with 30pd braid, it should be able to impart some action on the lures. Got one of the pflueger salt reels, so will see how this outfit performs. Will use it off the rocks when they open too.

Yep work is suffering, not real productive at the moment, but they've had their pound of flesh this year, so they can't complain.

Kev

Hi Wasted Wages.
    Freaking awesome! Turns out a mate of mine from work went up with you (Mark S) and was telling me about it all.

Congrats