Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast

Thread: The unofficial Fraser Island Tailor tracking thread.

Re: The unofficial Fraser Island Tailor tracking thread.

Any reports from the last week?

I see you've been on coastwatch, Symetre... Doesnt sound great, but who knows. Itching to get up there!

Quote Originally Posted by jackash View Post
    Any reports from the last week?

I see you've been on coastwatch, Symetre... Doesnt sound great, but who knows. Itching to get up there!
    Nah I don't read coastwatch. It rarely has any useful info. Read Fisherman's Corner.

Ahh fair enough. Agreed on the lack of good info, but had a squiz anyway. Reporting exactly what you said. Was a strong wind warning up around noosa last night... I'm hoping that roughed things up a bit, hopefully break down this double beach.

Need a south easter to do that Jackash - northerlies don't shift much sand without a ground swell and it is very calm. Went for a run up the beach yesterday to fish some rocks near D.I. and the double beach allows for good travelling on high tide. Good water most of the way along but came home empty handed.

Looks like I'll be at Fraser from Wednesday through to Sunday.

A mate from work who just came back also mentioned that the tailor were thick around the Maheno region but small with lots of throwbacks. He also mentioned a couple of Safa's using sliding non return clips to deploy their live tailor back out as baits.

Check this youtube clip to see how these clips work

He said they were targetting sharks mostly and the spaniards were a welcome bycatch.

Does anybody know where to get these clips locally?
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Im pretty sure that's Rob V running around Currumbin

Does sound like a South African talking, so could be Rob V, Rob V...is this you moonlighting?

Bondy

Quote Originally Posted by Slider View Post
    Need a south easter to do that Jackash - northerlies don't shift much sand without a ground swell and it is very calm. Went for a run up the beach yesterday to fish some rocks near D.I. and the double beach allows for good travelling on high tide. Good water most of the way along but came home empty handed.

Looks like I'll be at Fraser from Wednesday through to Sunday.
    Slider
    That might explain why I was catching no tailor at Wooyung Beach for 4 nights straight. North Westerly winds...yeah I know its not Fraser Island

Bondy

Have caught a hell of a lot of tailor in nor westers Bondy. Think there might be 'other' reasons why tailor are proving elusive for so many, so often.

Slider,

Thanks for that,
    I've always caught tailor on south easters. Maybe I was in the wrong spot (as usual). Local rag (Tweed Valley Weekly) always been rambling on about Tailor and Australian Salmon caught on beaches from Wooyung to Kingscliff.

Heading up this weekend. Any updates?
    Cheers deefa

Top shot ! Beautiful clear water. I'm up there north of orchid for a week early Oct. Hope to take the tinnie if the weather looks promising.
    "" Hello ? .... Yes Dear, just throwing out the left over bait ! ""

Just got back from a weekend trip. Got to barge at 6.30am Sat. Fished 9.30 until 1ish and fished again from about 4pm until 7pm. Perfect weather. Basically caught a fish per cast with about 50% throwbacks.

Took it easy Sunday morning and got to a good looking patch of water at about 10am. Fished constantly until 6.30pm. Once again caught basically a fish per cast the entire time. We each caught about 100 fish over Saturday and Sunday but only had a few over 50cm. Most fish were under 40cm.

Fished Monday morning from 5am until 7am and could only get a few little ones. Packed up and made the trip home. Kept about 40 fish overall but ate 10 of them there so took 30 home. Great weekend.

Dan

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_9707.jpg 
Views:	0 
Size:	75.3 KB 
ID:	84025Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_9702.jpg 
Views:	0 
Size:	53.0 KB 
ID:	84028

Attachment 84031Attachment 84030Attachment 84029Attachment 84027Attachment 84026Attachment 84024Attachment 84023
    Some pics from last week to amp up those migrating to the island soon. Plenty of rats during the day north of Waddy on lures and a few nice fish at night including my first ever jew! caught 7 jew in 2 nights (4 leagal ones 79, 88, 2x98cm) biggest tailor 68cm. Cracker week off the beach!

B-Mack, your attachments don't work for me. Would love to see the pics.