Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast

Thread: The unofficial Fraser Island Tailor tracking thread.

Re: The unofficial Fraser Island Tailor tracking thread.

I don't know who gave you that report, we caught and kept in excess of 200 tailor in a week and ended up throwing a heap back cause we had too many. They weren't massive but good eating fish averaging 40cm - 53cm. In fact it was the best year we have had in the last 7 years. I must admit we had a week of perfect weather and they were easy to catch considering the conditions.

He's just covering his arse for when he comes home empty handed.

Was up at Dundabarra the Thursday after Ekka Show Holiday, Tailor were there, but not like last year when they were much bigger. The maheno was the place to be. Nobody has mentioned the large number of Spaniards caught of the beach this year on live tailor. I know of eight that were landed, The biggest was 153cm and lots more hook ups that were missed. I reckon thats much better than just legal tailor. I would like to be there mid September.

Anyone got any advice on how to fish a live tailor off the beach for spanyids? I mean, i could cast it out and all but getting it more than 20m out may prove a little difficult....

You can swim it out. If you're brave enough. Some did and it worked. Take a yak, thats much safer. I put my live tailor on when the tide ewas receeding and the lives swam to the rear of the gutter. Depends on the weather conditions.

Yep, wont catch me swimming them out. I'd like to catch a big spanish, but I also like my arms and legs.

Will try find a gutter than feeds out nicely on the outrunning tide and see how we go. Otherwise will be throwing slugs around and hoping that works out for me.

Cheers for the info though mate!

Hooked two fish on 40 gram lazers but lure was dropped during the first long runs. I only use a small single Gamakatsu lure hook to make tailor release easy and the small hooks obviously didnt provide a good enough hook up.

Gives me a bit of hope! Also use a single hook but normally fish 85g raiders so can probably get a slightly better sized hook on it. Might have to get a bit of wire trace in there also.

Ausfish Silver Member
    Blog Entries

Try the balloon effect if there's especially if the winds a little west south west

Sweet thread. I am heading up Sat morning. Can't wait! Am limited with surf spin rods. Have 1 9 foot spin rod which is the goods but am thinking of throwing slugs with my starlo snapper spin (7ft) as well. Anyone ever fought tailor or other pelagics on such a short rod off the beach? Will also be fishing with salted bonito and of course pillies on my alvey setups. So excited just writing about it.

Cheers

Hi Symetre,

I pretty much only use a 7'10" spin combo for Tailor with a daiwa reel and 30lbs braid. You can throw a slug for miles with that set up and it is good fun when you hook up a big green back. I only catch and release though or keep a couple for bait. Just sit back and have a few beers while the wader/alvey brigade burley up the gutters then rip a few lures through!

Have a good trip!

Cheers

Liken the sound of these Spanny's off the beach

Fishing a live tailor in a busy gutter could be funny to see. I imagine it could end up hooked by someone else, or running across a heap of lines and tangles with others. Double the sport I had a shark take a tailor i was bringing in, it went like the clappers before it rubbed my line through.. it happened so fast and very funny.... later

Apparently a double beach has formed with no good drains

I'm arriving this Sunday for 2 weeks. Black GU patrol wagon with dual spares. Stop in and say hi.

Cheers
    Craig.