Thread: bream rod and reel?

bream rod and reel?

Wats evryones fav bream spin rod/reel combo?

Re: bream rod and reel?

For the boat, I use a nice light 8' Jarvis Walker (quite old) rod which is very whippy and use an Alvey 625B reel with 8lb line. That particular Alvey is a shallow spool job and suits the rod very nicely. The whole combo is very light and is easy to use.

I also use a Snyderglas 4132 rod (4 wrap, 11' long) with a 600B Alvey in the surf which also does the job OK, but sometimes I think it's a little bit too light. The next step up for me is my Snyderglas 6144 which is a bit too heavy for bream fishing, but good enough for any surprises. This particular combo is very good when fishing off the Bluff at Iluka and can handle most stuff.

I've also got 2 Wilson Bream Reapers about 9' that I got on a whim one day, but have never used. One day I might.

Think I might put them up for sale actually. Time's marching on, and there's not much I can do about it.

TOL

Ausfish Gold Member ThePinkPanther's Avatar

A Black Queen rod from BigW or Kmart (forgot which) for about $35.00, nice and whippy and great fun to play them on. Add an Alvey side cast 4" reel with a decent ratchet, 3 kg line, 30 cm trace, ball sinker on top of bream hook, some green prawns, mullet gut, old chook, worms, squid, pretty well anything will do, even some bullocks heart.

Leave you rod down, set the drag and ratchet and wait for 'em.

I bit of home made burley coming up to the slack tides will also bring the critters around.

My fav is a okuma x-factor 1-3 kg 6,6 rod i won in a competition and just recently bought a shimano saros 1000f going cheap due to new line coming out. loaded reels with 4 and 8 pound fireline exceed, 6, 10 pound nitlon flurocarbon leader, squidgie pro range sp's work a treat also berkley soft vibes\frenzy lures work well for the price, dont last long though . Fav bait combo is a 10'6 sure cath light surf rod (long but good for long cast, and getting the buggers up on the surface and out of snags as is very snaggy around my fav spots.) 10 or 8 pound line on a pflueger surpreme xt. Sounds a bit of a mix match but works great in the creeks (as i am land based) and you can hold it all day.

I have a Gary Howard 'Envy' 6'8" 1-3kg rod matched to a Daiwa Freams 2000 spooled with 4Lb Fins PRT braid. I mostly throw small hardbodies over rubble ground, reefs and weedbeds.

This is a great combo and came in under $400...