Thread: what rod and reel ?

what rod and reel ?

I am looking at a new boat rod and reel for my tinnie for use in the broadwater and coomera river, I have a good spinning setup and a larger shimano rod and reel for bank fishing but I dont have a boat rod.

I am not looking to spend a crap load but have about 80-120 to spend (which is not a lot).

Any recomendations ? size of rod and reel or specials you guys have seen and recommend ?

Re: what rod and reel ?

pretty hard to get a half decent combo for $80 - 120

if its an estuary boat rod then here are a couple of options

http://www.bcf.com.au/online-store/p...01#Description

matched to a shimano sienna 4000. should get you in the ballpark and handle most things

Not sure where you live but I saw some Berkley Dropshot Gen 3 rods one sale at BCF Keperra last week for $69. A rod from 6'6" to 7' long in a 2-4 kg matched with a Shimano 2500 sized reel (Siennas are a good budget reel) and 6lb Fireline should suit.

Yeah + 1 for the Sienna as a good budget reel.

I use a 4000 for bait fishing in the river, off rock walls and even on the beach on occasion.

Cannot fault it as it has all the basics working nicely.

Though bait reels never get the same workout as a spin reel lure and plastics.

Dan

What about a Catana 702 and a Sienna 2500, fishing tackle shop (.com.au) has them for $99

cheers guys, I ended up getting a Shimano Catana 662 and a Shimano Soltace 2500, i think i will use this for lures and plastics (which I am about to give my first try at), I will use the cheap shimano I have for bait fishing I think and the Okuma, can still be for lures.

this new one is a lot lighter and looks like it will be good for plastics and lures.

on last thing do you guys tie the fluro carbon leader direct to your braid (I actually have fireline) or use a swivel if direct what knots do you use ? I have always used a bloodknot for tieing all knows to hooks or swivels.

Others will have their own preferences but I have always used a double uni knot to join the leader to the braid and another single uni knot to attach jigheads to leader. They are simple and quick knots to tie as well as being reliable. I don't see the need for anything too fancy for that sort of line class (6lb).

FG knot in light braid ,PR knot in heavy braid,uni knots on swivels and hooks. My 3 main knots ,i have tried every knot i can find and keep going back to these.
    IMO Graham

thanks guys gunna give the new rod a go tomorrow