Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: List of water proof reels for surf fishing

Re: List of water proof reels for surf fishing

Quote Originally Posted by hangar View Post
    i have learnt to cast a bait or lure from half way up the beach and still get 150 meters+. no need to go near the water.the rod stays in my hand or rod holder,again half way up the beach.i make sure it does'nt hit the sand. and if it does i can field strip and clean it.all my reels are overhead.penn-abu.they can handle a dunking but not sand, but they are easy to service.
    How about with half a pike, a 7 ball and a 60cm leader?

I usually wade if I have heavy baits and leaders make them even harder to cast, add some sea breeze and its quite hard getting it out there at times.

Dan

magged abu 7000.jpgthe rod i use is a century sport look them up rated @ 125-225grams with a pendulum cast big baits and lead total of 8oz can still get 100+ meters.reel is a abu 7000 with levelwind removed and converted to ct.centrifugal brakes removed and replaced with magnetic brake,ceramic bearings.and to handle the heavy pullers carbontech drag washers laped and ground s/steel drag washers from the late jack erskine pictured.the other reel is a stock penn torque 100 both run 22lb line with 60lb leader of about 6-7 meters.pulley rig and 5-6 oz sinker.pete

Very nice.
    I have a Daiwa ss sensor 13 ft spin rod, it casts pretty good.

I use 50 LB Spectra, very tough, 30lb Toray Premium leader 6 meters.

What sort/brand of leader do you use?

Just wondering if there is any particular type that might run through the guides smoother.

BTW: I thought you said 150 m +, you must have dropped 50 meters somewhere.

Dan

i generally use black magic 60lb i dont use braid,but tend to like ultima red ice or viz tournament to 22-25lb.the reason for the distance drop is for the big bait wich slows down the cast heaps and the 7000 is a bit big.this kit is ideal for gummy shark here with the xtra line.for most fishing (during daylight)i prefer to use the 6500 abu ct wich will get me over the 150m mark quite easly.smaller bait,but you stand the chance of being spooled if you hook anything big.the 6500 is one of the best distance casters on the market.on the field ive managed 226 meters.fishing its a bit harder to measure,but in general i would say the 7000 with big bait total weight being around 8oz is good for 100-150 meters.the 6500 with 5oz sinker and smaller more streamline bait is capable of 150-200m.your daiwa ss is a nice rod but will not stand the riggers of a full blown pendulum cast for too long.sorry i dont mean to turn the topic into the best rod, the reels ive mentioned are excellent casters and theres more like the daiwa 7ht and so on and so on but there definatly not waterproof or sand proof... pete

Thanks

Nope all good to hear.

Yep the Daiwa has its limitations, its relatively mid price so I guess there are far better casting materials out there.They do far better casting lighter rigs rather than heavier ones, at which times they are a little under gunned (with heavy rigs and bait).

Great fun though.

Cheers

Dan