Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: List of water proof reels for surf fishing

Re: List of water proof reels for surf fishing

Quote Originally Posted by Si View Post
    feed the kids tonight or buy another lure??
    None.......a bottle of Jack Daniels and a new plasma tv thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Si View Post
    feed the kids tonight or buy another lure??
    Pretty sure most on here have a job and work hard for their money.

Not sure what your getting at by the "feed the kids" stuff?

Maybe they should start up an Ausfish community service "Fishah0lics Anonymous"...

Dan

Quote Originally Posted by finga View Post
    Quite simple really and nothing sinister Noel.
    Some people on here say that they have brought a fishing outfit that's worth well in excess of $1,000 and then in the second breathe complain that the Government does not pay enough of a rebate for their kids childcare or they depend on relatives to look after their kids on a 4 or 5 days a week every week of the year basis or they complain about how buying a house is out of the reach of the average person or.......the list goes on.
    Simply put.... they cannot afford their fishing habit. They just don't realise it.
    You obviously bought your house in the 70s.

Again not sure what the point is?

Dan

Quote Originally Posted by MudRiverDan View Post
    You obviously bought your house in the 70s.

Again not sure what the point is?

Dan
    Which house?? We brought our 3rd one earlier this year. Only one is a rental. None brought in the 70's.
    And if we did buy in the 70's what difference would it have made?? Breaking into the housing market would have been harder in the 70's. Why??? Try and get a loan in the 70's. What were the interest rates in the 70/80's??
    Even in the 80's you needed 30% as a deposit or getting a loan would have been near impossible.
    When you compare just how many years of wages you'd need to pay for a home now as compared to the 70's you'd probably find buying a home now is much more affordable.

Point is a hell of a lot of people would buy their high end rod and reels on credit. If they have done so then they simply cannot afford it.
    A lot of people complain about the ability to break into the housing market and then sprook about buying a $1200 combo. I wonder why they cannot get into the housing market. $1200 is a long way to a deposit for a house.
    One particular member here was sprooking about spending over $1200 for a combo and then said how they have to get some relatives to look after their child 4 days a week on a full time basis because child care is too expensive.

My point is simple. Sure. You can go and buy some of these reels but can you really afford them.
    Some people do not realise they cannot afford their fishing.
    All of that is a response to
    Quote Originally Posted by spears View Post
    I see on most forums where people do occasionally question to why would you want to spend so much on a reel or rod.
    Very simple answer..Because we can.
    I intend on living for-ever....so far so good

I got no kids OR A BOAT so I guess that eases up the expenditure at tax return time.

I'm not sure about other folk, but these days $800 on a reel is no more expensive than buying that Turbo 4wd over the stock NA or upgrading that outboard,(which cost a shitload IMO for what they are).

I don't have a credit card or debt, so in the banks eyes I am a poor man over 40,,, at least let some of us dabble in the high end gear when we get the rare opportunity.

As I have said the VS was a long researched buy, and so far its a farkin awesome beach reel,
    very happy.

These things seem to be made for the beach and more so made for a lifestyle of rough "go where you will" fishing.

Really finga I don't think anyone has commented here about a reel that has overspent.

So maybe I am off the plot.

Dan

Quote Originally Posted by MudRiverDan View Post

Really finga I don't think anyone has commented here about a reel that has overspent.

Dan
    All I'm saying is many people (did I say you??) simply think they can afford high end reels and rods when in fact they cannot. Simple facts really.
    I intend on living for-ever....so far so good

Quote Originally Posted by finga View Post
    All I'm saying is many people (did I say you??) simply think they can afford high end reels and rods when in fact they cannot. Simple facts really.
    Fair enough.

Dan

I'm thinking of getting a Shimano Stella 10 000.

TOL

lol, many of us have to have our Budget approved by the House.....thing with those high-end reels is that they last longer than your cheapies, well one would hope anyway.

My Penn jigmaster o/head bought 2nd hand more than 20yrs ago for probably 30bucks ....
    Retired it from surf fishing 3 years ago, but still being used as a bottom bashing reel now, as the casting ability of the modern free-spooling overheads is so much better than the old Penn. This reel is tough as nails and a dependable workhorse!
    But, as much as I will NEVER use an Alvey, I cannot deny that they are the ultimate in surf reel durability .... totally sand and water tolerable.

i have learnt to cast a bait or lure from half way up the beach and still get 150 meters+. no need to go near the water.the rod stays in my hand or rod holder,again half way up the beach.i make sure it does'nt hit the sand. and if it does i can field strip and clean it.all my reels are overhead.penn-abu.they can handle a dunking but not sand, but they are easy to service.

many older reels that don`t have IAR bearings are relatively easy to clean after a dunking in salt water. I dropped mine in the salt a long time ago and when I got home dunked it in hot fresh water and stripped it down for a lube.
    Possible with older, simple reels, but sand proof is another story.
    Alvey is the only one that is reasonably sand tolerant that I can think of.

Quote Originally Posted by theoldlegend View Post
    I'm thinking of getting a Shimano Stella 10 000.

TOL

About time you got some quality gear to replace some of that ( I was going to say rubbish but I won't) stuff you've got in the shed.

Sorry boys but if you have to dunk your rods and reels in the surf and sand you reallly ought to be taught how to fish in the surf by someone more experienced.I still use me stella's, saltiga's,van staal and zeebaas in the surf and i can speak from experience not just blowing smoke out of my A!@!@.
    If you haven't used any of this gear how do you have any idea.
    Back to topic the best reels for surf fishing in my opion are
    A;Zeebaas
    B; Van staal
    C;Alvey
    I still like the stella's and saltiga's but take more care with them.
    A fisherman was washed off the rocks overseas 6 months ago and lost his van staal and rod .It was recovered 3 months later from the surf and he was contacted through the serial number on the reel. The reel was washed down and back in use with scratches being the only damage.This was posted on another web site ages ago.
    IMo Graham

Quote Originally Posted by grave41 View Post
    Sorry boys but if you have to dunk your rods and reels in the surf and sand you reallly ought to be taught how to fish in the surf by someone more experienced.I still use me stella's, saltiga's,van staal and zeebaas in the surf and i can speak from experience not just blowing smoke out of my A!@!@.
    If you haven't used any of this gear how do you have any idea.
    Back to topic the best reels for surf fishing in my opion are
    A;Zeebaas
    B; Van staal
    C;Alvey
    I still like the stella's and saltiga's but take more care with them.
    A fisherman was washed off the rocks overseas 6 months ago and lost his van staal and rod .It was recovered 3 months later from the surf and he was contacted through the serial number on the reel. The reel was washed down and back in use with scratches being the only damage.This was posted on another web site ages ago.
    IMo Graham
    http://www.vanstaal.com/SealedDrag.htm