Thread: Things found washed up on a beach

Things found washed up on a beach

6 days on North Stradbroke. Friday 10th to yesterday 15th.
    Friday was great. Saturday reasonable. Sunday and monday, strong wind warning and high seas.
    Tuesday and Wednesday were perfect with the tailor wanting to play.

This is looking south from camp 13 to the Pin. Sunday arvo with 2 and half hours before full tide.

Not a lot of beach left.
    Sunday morning we went for a drive from the camp down to the Pin.Tried to fish but even around the corner the wind and swell were against us.
    There were 2 RESCUE cats going back and forth, halfway out the bar and back again.
    We thought they were having a play, training exercise, in the rough conditions.
    After 40 minutes or so of getting blown sideways and wet crotches we decided to head back to camp.
    Just around the second corner we came upon this.

No one about. We couldn't see anyone in the surf. Then we saw the thick rope and loop tied around the motor leg. Maybe the rescue cats weren't playing.
    A strap over the hull and we had it back the right way up.
    A couple of rods in the side holders and a set of car keys still in the side pocket.
    Hit the trim button on the side of the 40hp etec and up came the motor.
    A young bloke with us in his lifted and locked patrol then dragged it as far up the beach as he could get it.

While all this was going on, I was on the phone. The only one with reasonable reception.
    Thank you Telstra.

The closest VMR number I had was Cleveland. The bloke took all the details and said he would get back to me.
    2 minutes later I get a call from Jacobs Well Water police. Details again and he advised to get it as high up the beach as we could. Which we did.

No more than 10 minutes later I get another call from Jacobs well police.
    Would I like to speak to the owner?
    What happened.

Him and another bloke were drifting around on the electric, well inside the bar, when they both ended up in the water. He didn't say if the boat had flipped or they were thrown out. They were rescued but it looks like the boat could not be properly taken undertow,upside down in the conditions. It had drifted to far into the bar.
    The owner said he had arranged for a recovery from Point Lookout when he was told the boat had been found.

On Monday we did a beer,ice,bread,prawn run to the top end of the island.
    On the way back we past one of the commercial guys towing the boat north on a too big trailer.
    Hope he was the recovery unit.

So if you are reading this Blake, you and mate are lucky people and I hope you got the boat back.

We also saw this on Monday.
    Apparently it had been buried on Thursday but the worms, err, high seas had dug it back up.
    Jeez it stunk.

Rod

My dictionary defines green as ‘unripe, immature, undeveloped'. Perfect description.

Most political parties are seen as interested in what the voters think, the Greens are seen as thinking the community should be interested in what they think.

Re: Things found washed up on a beach

Eventful holiday there Rod. Still doing TCB in Sept?

Jeez that story got scary and suspenseful fast

Glad that all involved turned out to be safe...well except for the whale unfortunately

Tim and Trace

Quote Originally Posted by Apollo View Post
    Eventful holiday there Rod. Still doing TCB in Sept?
    Hi Steve.

Not this September mate.

Maybe closer to Xmas.

Rod

My dictionary defines green as ‘unripe, immature, undeveloped'. Perfect description.

Most political parties are seen as interested in what the voters think, the Greens are seen as thinking the community should be interested in what they think.

Every time I see a photo of a whale carcas on the beach I am reminded of that old video where they tried to blow it up with dynamite and the shit hit the fan. There were people running for their lives as bits of whale fell from the sky for a couple hundred metres around the carcass. LMFAO Ah the good old days

Pity about the weather Rod but at least you got a couple of days of fishing and a few more memories for the bank.

Quote Originally Posted by mowerman View Post
    Hi Steve.

Not this September mate.

Maybe closer to Xmas.

Rod

Give us a yell when you are coming up.

That's 3 whales I know of this month that has washed up dead on beach's... glad the guy will get his boat back. Hopefully insurance gives him a better motor than an etec this time lol

Geez Marto78 I have had such a laugh over the bits of whale dropping from the sky. . Almost had an asthma attack.

Quote Originally Posted by marto78 View Post
    Every time I see a photo of a whale carcas on the beach I am reminded of that old video where they tried to blow it up with dynamite and the shit hit the fan. There were people running for their lives as bits of whale fell from the sky for a couple hundred metres around the carcass. LMFAO Ah the good old days
    Should have done that in Japan, instant sushi lol.

Fast forward a bit.. This has the best definition... http://m.youtube.com/#/watch?v=uD5sPgV61bw