Thread: Fishing in the Broadwater for Beginners

Fishing in the Broadwater for Beginners

Hi all,

I'm new to this site and fairly new to fishing.

I have finally got myself a boat and I am keen to head out to the Broadwater to catch whiting, bream, flathead etc.

Can anyone advise where to go and what setups to use (bait or plastics), baiscally how to fish?

Any advice would be much appreciated.

Cheers

Dave

PS sorry if this is similar to other posts on here, I did have a look but they seemed to be older posts.

Re: Fishing in the Broadwater for Beginners

Hey Dave...

Welcome to the site. Don't be put off by the lack of replies, I think maybe the question is too big / too general.

The search function for the site is not great but if you use it patiently and are prepared to do a bit of reading you will find a heap of info on most locations, species and fishing techniques.

Then I suspect that if you narrow the question down a bit the info will start to flow from the numerous helpful members on here.

Make sure you post some reports of your fishing trips and of your learning curve, we love to read that stuff, and again the help will come your way.

We don't fish the Broadwater very often so cannot help with that.
    Tim and Trace

good on ya dave,

http://www.ausfish.com.au/vforum/sho...-(bait-fishing)

Should be able gain a bit of knowledge from that post ^^

Dean

Blog Entries

welcome to the site Davebowks

+1 to searching the forum mate. Really handy to work it out and gain some great knowledge. Good luck with it all mate

Or just throw the boat in and follow funchy where ever he is going, your bound to catch a feed :X

Dave,
    what size boat you got?? and where would you be puting in??

Post Re: Fishing in the Broadwater for Beginners

Cheers for your replies guys.

Kingcray cheers for the link, I have read a lot of the posts and picked up a few tricks, now I just need a fish!

Wayno60 we have a 5.5m fibreglass bowrider as we mainly use it for skiing but I'm keen to get some fishing done too. We normally stick it in at Marine Parade but thats because we don't know any different, do you have any recommendations.

I was out in front of Wave Break on Sunday using squid and prawns using a running sinker rig, 3oz sinker and size 1 hook I think - but had no look, however being an Englishman sat in a boat on the Gold Coast watching the world go by was perfect on its own - what a great place!

Thanks again folks.

Dave

Ausfish Silver Member Swanie1975's Avatar

i have a 5.5 bowrider as well and on reasonable days you can fish pretty much where ever you want. on sunday arvo i whipped out to the 24s for a play. loads of small tailor and trag but nothing really great caught and didnt see a single whale but it was indeed a great day to be out on the water. awesome watching the sunset and the coast come alive with lights - except for the smokey haze and plumes from the burn-offs.

i usually leave the bow cover on if its a bit rough outside but drive the boat with a little common sense and theres no reason you cant explore the reefs outside. do you have the necessary safety gear for offshore? a gps is very handy too.

the grands a good ramp but can get very busy espec. on the weekend.

cheers ryan

Best advice i can give you Dave is the bait your using is your problem.. servo bait will at times catch fish sure..... but you will have far better success using fresh or livebait and investing in a nipper pump and a cast net and learning how to use them both will save you money in the long run. Use a tide chart and fish 1 hour either side of the tide change will also help. if u have a sounder spend some time looking around for little dropp offs etc.Its all trial and error mate and is heaps of fun when you start to work out what works and what doesnt.
    hope that helps a bit.
    Nathan.
    dont knock on deaths door... ring the doorbell and run... death hates that!!