Thread: Tongariro River - NZ action

Tongariro River - NZ action

A bit of fun from last week, fish are still quite small, but look to be gaining size on last years runs slightly. Will be interesting to see how the latest eruption from Mt. Tongariro will effect the fishery, last time it was boom times on big fish for 3-4 years after the 1995 eruption.

Re: Tongariro River - NZ action

Mate great vids, love that Trout country footage and scenery

Would love to get in to that area , got a bit of Trout action working down the South Island years ago

Thanks for share

Glad you liked it, magic part of the country alright, but still nowhere near as scenic as that west Coast South Island! Beauty of Turangi is it's easy going, drive to the river, 2 mins drive back and you're in the pub or hotpools!

Quote Originally Posted by aharding View Post
    Glad you liked it, magic part of the country alright, but still nowhere near as scenic as that west Coast South Island! Beauty of Turangi is it's easy going, drive to the river, 2 mins drive back and you're in the pub or hotpools!

I loved the week I spent at Turangi ........ As you said a short drive to fish multiple pools or even a short walk to fish a couple - Getting used to casting those bombs (weighted nymphs) on a fly rod does take some getting use to .......... Thankfully I had a thick beanie

Chris
    Give a man a fish & he will eat for a day !
    Teach him how to fish
    & he will sit in a boat - & drink beer all day!
    TEAM MOJIKO