Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: How to save yourself or your mate

Re: How to save yourself or your mate

Just kick your shoes off and climb over the stern using the outboard cav plate as a step. Even a fit young person will not get aboard a small vessel over the side
    A Proud Member of
    "The Rebel Alliance"

Quote Originally Posted by Feral View Post
    Just a tie loop in the anchor rope, so it sits about 2 foot under water and use it as a step to climb over the stern. 2 loops if needed.

If you cant climb over the arse of your boat without it starting to take on water you need a bigger boat.
    I've tried the anchor rope loop and found it impossible to haul myself on board that way. If the rope stayed at an angle to the boat it would be ok. I also found trying to lever up over the motor extremely difficult although eventually successful.

I got a bloke into a boat a few years ago using the motor trim

got him on to the motor cav plate but he could go no further, trimmed the motor up and got him leaning the right way and higher up and then in he climbed

more challenging than it might seem when a bloke is totally stuffed

Last November I rescued an old man who was thrown out of his boat when the prop hit something underwater about half aKm out from the Urangun Harbour, Hervey Bay. It was about 5am in the morning and he had his wife with him, she waved me down and I found him completely exhausted clinging on to the back of their tinny about 4m long.
    My Stessco has a rear step and I was able after along time to get him at least to sit on it, and then finally half drag him over the back. He had not long had a hip replacement so was severely restricted in the kind of movements needed to climb back in to the boat. Even though he couldnt, the shock etc just had him keep on trying and i have no doubt he wouldnt have made it unless someone arrived, or HIS WIFE WOULD HAVE FINALLY REALISED TO GET HIM A LIFEJACKET!!! Can you believe she hadnt thought of that? So shock and panic can cause the most obvious things to do seem to disappear from the equation.
    Made me think real seriously about wearing a lifejacket constantly, especially when alone. You can be flying along up on the plane, smooth sea, and in a second be overboard!
    Cheers
    Flatzie
    PS The Spaniard on my avatar was caught about an hour later!!
    Last edited by flatzie; 14-08-2012 at 09:39 PM. Reason: Extra info

Flatzie, thats called karma mate.