Thread: down v's rest

down v's rest

Hi, We were wanting to get some opinions on down sleeping bags compared to the other types or brands people are happy with.

We are going camping on the toowoomba range and want to stay warm all night

Re: down v's rest

I love my down bag. It's an australian 'roman' brand filled with Pyranees(?) goose down. The colder it gets the faster bags get found out. When you wake up and your bag is literally frozen solid from a layer of ice on it and you are toasty warm inside - its a good bag. I see there are some high end man made lofts getting around now which will no doubt be great also. My experience with man made is with the middle of the road (say $120 and 0 deg rating) stuff and it has let me down at the wrong time. The frozen bag experience was at Stanthorpe. I'd be looking for something like a -15 degrees rated bag if you want guarantees of warm nights when camping. Caveat - I am possibly the world's biggest sook when it comes to coldness, so I take keeping warm pretty seriously....'hot' sleepers don't tend to need anything like what I deem necessary to be comfortable.
    nil carborundum illegitimi

Down sleeping bags are great - no doubt about it (as long as you get a baffled one ) - but you pay for it
    Do you need a down one ? - unless you are camping further south ........ A half decent synthetic will do . I have a Black Wolf (Rated @-5) - I camp out at Somerset every winter , been out at Boondoomba and Copeton mid winter without ever feeling cold. ( I also use this bag when I go down to the snowies)
    There is a key though (regardless of the type of bag) & that is the insulation between you and the ground - manage that & you'll be fine ( I sleep on a bunk bed with self inflating mattress covered by a thinsulate blanket) - I usually find I dont even zip the bag up till just before daybreak.

Chris
    Give a man a fish & he will eat for a day !
    Teach him how to fish
    & he will sit in a boat - & drink beer all day!
    TEAM MOJIKO

If you are buying a decent down bag for a very good price I would opt for that, however there are quite a few synthetics that do a better job and pack tighter than down does.
    If you are going to a cold place, i.e sub zero, it is best to dress lightly for bed and snuggle into a bag that is rated to suit that temperature. Do not dress warmly then crawl into a sleeping bag, you will wake cold from your sweat that has filled the bag.
    I spent 25 winters camping out in sub zero temps every 2nd weekend and learned that sweat from over dressing does chill you off more than anything else. A simple T-shirt and shorts is all that is required in the correct sleeping bag at the most.

Do not sleep on an airbed in winter, this will also chill you from below. Mats are the go or if you have the dosh, a sheepskin is better.

Do not buy a -15 rated bag if the lowest you will encounter is -5, a -10 at max.
    Jack.

They are all rated, get a high rating and it will work.

From memory mine was a decent rating, cost about $140.00 for a single.

But some homeless person pinched it from under my unit.

Oh well guess it will go to some use

Dan

Oops, fat fingers!

One thing to consider is down does not work when wet whilst a wet syntho bag will still keep you sort of warm.

Best thing I ever used was an old parachute, incredible.

Light as a feather but strangely it kept me as warm as toast in below 0 conditions.

Dan

Anything rated lower than 0 degrees these days is to narrow. I like lots of room. I've retired my old -10 deg bag to my eldest son, he is a bit slimmer than I and can still roll over in it! Still in fantastic condition nearly 30 years after buying it to. Its some sort of synthetic dont remember what.

These days I use a 4 degree double bag (1.2m wide, I challenge any one to go two up in it though!) plus extra bags, opened up, one on top, one under neath.
    The one bag does duty for all but mid winter, the extra bags make it toast warm with lots of room in the depths of winter in cold country.

Go synthetic if you ever want to use it around boats. They still work if damp and down does not react well to saltwater soakings. For the Toowoomba area I would be looking for a -5 or so. If it looks like being colder take a light thermal blanket. Insulation underneath you is critical as the bag is compressed and offers little protection
    A Proud Member of
    "The Rebel Alliance"

Quote Originally Posted by Horse View Post
    Go synthetic if you ever want to use it around boats. They still work if damp and down does not react well to saltwater soakings. For the Toowoomba area I would be looking for a -5 or so. If it looks like being colder take a light thermal blanket. Insulation underneath you is critical as the bag is compressed and offers little protection
    Is it better if you sleep on hooks neil???

Yea mate. 9/0 circle hooks make great insulation
    A Proud Member of
    "The Rebel Alliance"