Thread: Roper river

Cool Roper river

Hey guys, I'm planning a trip in April with a few mates to the Roper, our plan is to drive into port roper and camp down that way,
    Does anyone know if this is acheivable that time of year? ie: road conditions, I'll be towing a 4.6 tinny
    Is there a ramp there?
    Thanks any help would be much appreciated
    Cheers
    O

Re: Roper river

Hi JB ,I was down that way in june 2010 ,the road was fairly good ,only a few minor washouts ,there is a concrete all tide boatramp there
    we camped on the riverbank for a couple of weeks, the fishing & crabbing was excellant .
    there is a pro fisherman living up on the hill above the ramp ,hes very sociable & drops in for a chat & share information everyday.
    theres also a pro crabbing camp a couple of miles downstream
    lots of very BIG lizards.
    cheers.
    keith

Thanks for the info Keith,

Hey mate. I wouldnt think the road down to the port would be open at that time of year. Even if it was I personally wouldnt go there as you might end up stuck for a month. I went down to the roper bar one weekend in april- weather was fine untill a cyclone came in and we nearly got stuck there- and the roper bar is no where near as far as the port.

I would suggest fishing the victoria river and stay in timber creek or stay and dundee beach and fish the finesse. These places are far less risky for that time of year. Also dundee and timber creek are much closer from darwin with the drive to timber creek being sealed all the way and dundee only a relativly short drive. Dundee also has some great offshore options too.

Check out Fish finder forums for further info.

CHeers
    Pete

Gday Jacksrbetter,
    I have done a run off roper trip for a few years now mate and it will depend entirely as Matthias said on what the wet season does. If it stops for a while and starts comin down again hard it would be very easy to get stuck there for a month or so( and no car and boat can hold enough beer for a month). Maybe go a month later or try another spot around there plenty of stations out that way where you can get away from the infamous grey nomads and the politics of 5 oclock drinkies

Cheers Rob
    "I would rather cut off my own ding dong than admit alcohol is not food" William Murderface-Metalocalypse