Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: What have you lost overboard

Re: What have you lost overboard

An outboard motor.

No hang on a sec- 2 outboard motors.

First one was an 8hp Evinrude that had just had a 20 hour service. Heading out off Townsville to the shipping pylons for a fish and the old man took his hand off the tiller to point something out and the motor turned to lock almost tossing me out before the motor went up then guggle gurggle gurggle. I trolled home while dad rowed.

Second one was 8 years later when I went scurfing with some mates in the river. New boat purchase with a '78 25 horse Envinrude. Took it out in the morning and didnt go so spent the rest of the day fixing it and got it going. Went to the river to try it out and after a bit it was my turn. Just getting going when for whatever reason the motor jumped up and off she came. I tried diving for it to put a rope on but never found it.

I bolt the bastards on these days.

Dad tossed a $2500 GT spin stick over in new caledonia... (forgot to flip the bail over) probably shouldn't be hijacking his account and revealing his deepest darkest secrets, but hey

love it all, now it brings back memories I have lost far more than I orignally thought, 2 rods oops forgot the last one now 3 rods, mobile phone - it was a work one and I hadn't had it long and it was in the very early days so it was expensive, long nose pliers, a bag of crabs - ouch that hurt (so did my brother afterwards, at least his ears did, he left them in the well), a spanner, and heaps of end tackle. I have lost several anchors but not overboard and several drogues due to deckies and their knots.

Quote Originally Posted by netmaker View Post
    1 kero lighter, 1 mobile phone, 1 cast net (recovered), 1 skipper (also recovered), 1 landing net. phone and keys have new dry box. new landing net filled with expanding foam. old skipper filled with expanding waistline
    Netmaker, how did you get the foam to stay in the net, I would have thought that it would just expand through the net and I still can't figure out how you would land a fish with all that foam in it

Quote Originally Posted by Dignity View Post
    Netmaker, how did you get the foam to stay in the net, I would have thought that it would just expand through the net and I still can't figure out how you would land a fish with all that foam in it
    lol. foam filled handle. sealed ally net frame. no foam IN net.
    fishing's as simple as 3 P's - patience, perserverance and PLASTIC!

Expensive rod holder,twice. While putting it away would you believe. Driven away many times with the burley bucket still attached for a while, before loosing them.
    A 58 cm snapper, from the bait board. Thought I would be smart, as it was mid week, and my brother was at work. I wanted to get a pic, so as to give him a rev.So I put the fish on the bait board, where I have attached a measure.
    Wife was to take the pic. Snapper kicked, I couldnt hold it, it fell to the pod, and I grabbed it there, only to let it slip from my grasp. Never did get the pic.

Ive lost at lease 4 mobiles in the last 5 years I only use $30 cheapies now days.One Shimano setup got reefed over the rail at bond uni one night as I reached for it.Drag to tight see ya rod.A few pairs of sunnies. And my brag mat flew out of a mates boat 2 weekends back(amazing how fast they sink.)

Bron

Quote Originally Posted by Muddy Toes View Post
    For me I've done a gaff, hats, sunnies......
    Muddy I haven't found any of your overboard deckies but I did find your sunnies today....

ImageUploadedByTapatalk HD1344598066.100944.jpg

If you can tell me the serial number on the frame I will give you the gps co-ords.

For me I've done a gaff, hats, sunnies, rubber O ring off my Racor, engine cowl and a couple of deckies too.

Thing is when I've lost deckies It's been on purpose. Always funny with a non fisherman mate on board for the first time and coming back to the ramp and getting them to sit on the bow and telling them I'll let them know when they have to jump off and stop the boat from hitting the ramp.Coming in nice and slow, sounder reading a couple of meters still, a bit of reverse thrust and start yelling JUMP NOW...QUICK!!!.....fully clothed and can't even touch the bottom, in they go.

It might sound a bit mean at first but if you ever see it happen you'll realise how funny it can actually be.
    Yep, im not 100% sure i want to get on your boat atm...

Thing is when I've lost deckies It's been on purpose. Always funny with a non fisherman mate on board for the first time and coming back to the ramp and getting them to sit on the bow and telling them I'll let them know when they have to jump off and stop the boat from hitting the ramp.Coming in nice and slow, sounder reading a couple of meters still, a bit of reverse thrust and start yelling JUMP NOW...QUICK!!!.....fully clothed and can't even touch the bottom, in they go.

It might sound a bit mean at first but if you ever see it happen you'll realise how funny it can actually be.
    Yea, it sure is funny to watch people sink still holding the anchor. I've got several mates nosing in to the Western sde of Moreton. All I've said is "Jump off when you reckon you can stand on the bottom" Well all have jumped into about 10' deep water. It's soooo clear over there

Quote Originally Posted by Boat Hog View Post
    Lost my dog overboard once. For about 3 seconds..... Wet dew covered tinny and the dog (still a puppy) jumped up onto the front thwart to see an on coming boat and slipped straight over the side. I stopped the outboard and plucked her out of the water as she slid past the tinny, still under the water!
    Was told this by a supposed reliable source;

A bloke was fishing in Corner Inlet here in Victoria when his dog fell in.Well old mate just up and jumped in after it..was found about 7km downtide by a pro fisher that asked "what the bloody hell are you doing here?"..or something like that.He and dog were lucky that a white pointer didn't get them, plenty hang around the area!

Thinking about using a safety line as I fish by myself a lot (no mates).

Quote Originally Posted by netmaker View Post
    lol. foam filled handle. sealed ally net frame. no foam IN net.
    netmaker, I knew what you meant, it was my poor attempt at humour I have thought about doing the same except I worked out it wouldn't work, I have thought that the gaff might work but that is a project for another day.

Quote Originally Posted by Dignity View Post
    I have thought about doing the same except I worked out it wouldn't work.
    why wont it work? mine floats horizontally now.
    fishing's as simple as 3 P's - patience, perserverance and PLASTIC!

netmaker, mine had a thin strong shaft not sure what it was made of but iwas made by a mate of mine who was a tool maker, best net I ever had but stupid me left it in a boat I sold, I gues the new one I bought to replace it would have enough volume in it. Did you use the 2 pack mix or a can of ready made foam.

2 anchors 1not tied off the other broke off,1 pair of spotters ,umpteen hats ,1 brand new baitcaster outfit. why is it that its always the good stuff? !!!!!