Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: What have you lost overboard

Re: What have you lost overboard

A perfectly good, brand new, never before used crab pot. The rope and float I thought was tied to it was in fact tied to another pot sitting beside it on the deck....... Oh, and the half a mullet to go with it is still out there too They say you don't necessarily have to have a long neck to be a goose! That was a solo trip I promised myself never to tell anybody.....

Scalem

Ausfish Platinum Member bigjimg's Avatar

At Peel Is my 2 week old wedding ring,Deep Tempest my favourite landing net,Hope Banks a number of knives and a burley tube.At Whitsundays my 8mths pregnant wife[aka SharkBait],retrieved that one but almost got away with it,she had the GPS in her hand.To be honest I have not lost any of these items,I know exactly where they all are....Jim
    Haines Signature "FinaLeigh" 580F 135 Optimax
    CH 81 & 72 VHF

I was very hungover once and out early with a mate...I was trying to get a fish in the landing net and it was jussst out of reach so of course I just sort of threw the landing net out for that extra distance....no idea why...net slips out of my hand and long gone by the time it sinks in what I had done...(probably a a few seconds but felt much longer). Still comes up over drinks years on...
    Vegetarian - Ancient tribal slang for the village idiot that can't hunt, fish or ride.

For me I've done a gaff, hats, sunnies, rubber O ring off my Racor, engine cowl and a couple of deckies too.

Thing is when I've lost deckies It's been on purpose. Always funny with a non fisherman mate on board for the first time and coming back to the ramp and getting them to sit on the bow and telling them I'll let them know when they have to jump off and stop the boat from hitting the ramp.Coming in nice and slow, sounder reading a couple of meters still, a bit of reverse thrust and start yelling JUMP NOW...QUICK!!!.....fully clothed and can't even touch the bottom, in they go.

It might sound a bit mean at first but if you ever see it happen you'll realise how funny it can actually be.

Nothing lost. Know precisely where it all is.

Lost my dog overboard once. For about 3 seconds..... Wet dew covered tinny and the dog (still a puppy) jumped up onto the front thwart to see an on coming boat and slipped straight over the side. I stopped the outboard and plucked her out of the water as she slid past the tinny, still under the water!
    Jim

I wish I'd lost a couple of deckies over the years

Chris
    Give a man a fish & he will eat for a day !
    Teach him how to fish
    & he will sit in a boat - & drink beer all day!
    TEAM MOJIKO

haha, way way way too much....... countless knives, scotty orca rod holder (that hurt) landing net, drogue, one snapper outfit with big snapper attached, mako sunnies (that hurt too) a large spinning outfit just disappeared on the trip home.....made a bad error of judgement attempting to cross the bar in my previous (4.2m) boat and lost myself, 250lt esky, anchor, paddles, spare lifejackets and who knows what else overboard (literally, the boat yawed heavily from a wave impact).....yeah now that one really did hurt lol......these days I buy my knives from St. Vinnies, use 2nd hand reels and $50-$100 rods for all my inshore fishing, have my outfits on lanyards etc, ya learn.....Oh and I always err on the side of caution as to whether to cross the bar or not!

My Teeth, ralph raalph raaalph.

I've lost an anchor shipping channel of brissie river not tied up in a tube hit a wave over she goes. First outing with new anchor tubes. Didn't work obviously.
    A hat I have lost every single time I've been out. Always seem to get it back with a disgusted look from the wife. Knives. Never have lost a deckie or a rod yet.
    A seat cushion on the way to the ramp but deckies chair so I still haven't replaced it. maybe when I go home next week.
    I really try not to lose stuff over the side it becomes expensive.

Was off Cape Moreton with not much action happening so deckie decides to give the old v6 outboard plugs a clean. 2nd plug out, both plug & plug spanner do the deep water spiral. Lucky I always carry a spare plug or two but the case of the missing spanner was a bit of a problem which was eventually solved by taping together two large flatblade screw drivers with a spacer between the shafts. It took a few goes but ended up as tight as necessary..

Anchor at tangas but worse my favourite snyder glass surf whiting stick and shimano in the seaway, damm!!

Ive lost thousands of pilchards , usually 1 at a time.

Mako Sunnies, Knives, Pliers 2 x rod and reel combos neither of them off my boat. But the worst one of all was my wallet at Raby Bay. Loose fitting trackie dacks with wallet in sloppy back pocket. Struggle to get off boat over the side without getting too wet and wallet must have slipped out of pocket. Didnt realise till I got home. Gee I hate that ramp. Oh and I have lost quite a bit of a certain mates pooh too. He loves dropping a nard off the duckboard everytime we go out. Always glad to lose that over the side.

10 Jew fish in a Hessian bag looped over the row-lock, hanging in the river to keep them fresh, decided to head off home with our great days catch and needless to say they weren't there when we got back to the boat ramp.