Thread: Sailfish Cats stolen from Sydney Boat Show

Sailfish Cats stolen from Sydney Boat Show

Thought I'd share this in case anyone is offered a cheap sailfish, honda outboard or alloy trailer!

Posted on NSW Maritime Facebook page;

7 August 2012
    Last night, two vessels were stolen from the Boat Show site. The police are investigating the matter.
    This is an unfortunate incident that is very upsetting and the BIA are assisting all parties in relation to this matter.
    Details of the two vessels follows and we ask that anyone with information that can assist in their recovery should contact the Police immediately on 1800 333 000.

Sailfish Catamaran Reef Runner Twin Honda 60HP Outboards
    Sailfish Reef Fishing Single Honda 90HP Outboard

The insurer of these boats, Nautilus Marine Insurance Agency, have advised the BIA they are offering a sizable reward for information that leads to the recovery of these vessels. Please contact Pauline Mackenzie, Nautilus claims manager on 03 8599 5010 if you have any information regarding this theft.

black.jpgblue.jpg
    Jim

Re: Sailfish Cats stolen from Sydney Boat Show

That's insane!! Were they stolen from their display site through the roller door seen in the pics?
    What about security patrols and/or alarms/cameras protecting the site!!

It must have been a well organised job.

Jim

From herald sun article

A BRAZEN thief has stolen two powerboats - worth a combined $150,000 - which had been displayed in the main exhibition hall of the Sydney International Boat Show at Darling Harbour.
    It is understood the thief took advantage of the bustle and chaos of scores of exhibitors packing up their boats and displays after the five-day boat show ended on Monday night.
    About 1am on Tuesday, the man drove up to the loading dock behind the exhibition hall and told security staff that he was from Sydney's Webbe Marine, which had been displaying the prized Sailfish brand of outboard powered aluminium catamarans.
    He hitched up one of the boats, which had been on display on a trailer at Stand 501, and drove off, returning at 2am to repeat his bluff and leaving with a second boat. The stolen boats were a 5.75-metre dark blue and white Sailfish Reefrunner with two 60-horsepower Honda outboards, and a 5m black and white Sailfish Reeffish'r with a single 90-hp outboard.

The thief gave security a false phone number when "collecting" the vessels.
    Police had interviewed security guards and were looking at CCTV footage as part of their investigations.
    The boats' insurer is offering a "substantial" reward for information leading to the return of the vessels.
    Boat thieves usually rapidly strip down and repaint boats and often truck them interstate for sale

Now that would take some Balls to do that.. i hope they catch the guy and cut his nuts off as well as life in jail...

Thats why insurance is so dear for anything we get now because of scum like this.. i hope they get the boats back....
    TEAM F.C.R.

Sounds a bit SUS to me....

Hope the scum gets caught, but I wouldn't be holding my breath.

I packup up and left my stand at 11pm on the Monday night. I was able to drive up onto the dock with nothing but a high-vis vest as proof that I was supposed to be there. The 'security' waved me through and I drove into the hall unchecked. There were 30-40 vehicles collecting trailer boats on the docks and in the halls. Plenty of 'Security' playing plastic copper about who could park where and for how long, but no-one checking ID's, exhibitor badges, etc. With only one way in and one way out it would have been easy to provide decent security, check drivers licenses, etc, etc. There is better security in my local pub than was on display at the boat show.
    I feel for Webbe Marine, as I know how hard it will be to cancel on water tests and delay deliveries to customers. I just hope the boats get found and returned un-damaged.

Lets hope the BIA is able to find a more effective security contractor next year.

BarCrusher 670HT "Spook"