Thread: Tuna @ Peel

Tuna @ Peel

Was out this morning drifting on the arties at Peel......noticed birds circling and then spotted the bust ups. Got as close as I dared and was certain they appeared to be tuna......was so excited completely muffed my first cast and by the second they had gone.
    Kept an eye out and chased them for about an hour, same thing, 1 or 2 casts and then they would be gone for a few minutes and then reappear 100m away. Couldn't get them to have a go at my lures , initially had a squid SP in nuclear chicken, then tried a surface popper, then a hard metal lure with more depth..........have never fished for them before and obviously what I was offering was not ideal....any pointers for next time so I can keep something in the tackle bag

Re: Tuna @ Peel

very finicky at times. can be frustrating trying to get in the right position and hook up only for them to move 100metres in the spot you came from and then when you are in the right spot at the right time they wont accept anything you throw at em. Where they long tails or mack tunas do you know?

sounds like they were finicky today then, that's exactly what was happening............not sure of exact species, what I saw breaching would have been pushing 80-100cm - found it a bit odd that I was the only one chasing them.....there must have been 5 other boats anchored in the area that would have seen them

I had a few goes at a small school just after coming through SPB on my way home. Threw a few lures out but then they'd disappear. Didn't get a touch.

We chased them today from peel to macleay for a big fat donut not even a touch either, we were the only ones chasing them too.

So anyone landed them by chasing them like this??? Is it just luck of the draw or a particular type of lure/bait/tactic??

You often need tiny slugs, 7gm, for them in the bay. They are normally feeding on tiny baitfish inside.

If you don't have an outfit light enough to cast the tiny slugs, colour in your 20gm or so slush with black Nikko pen to make them look like the same tiny profile.

Position yourself upwind where you can, and drift toward them. Try not to chase them too hard and drive into the school and send them down.

Keep trying and fish light. They can be incredibly frustrating at times!

Cheers,
    Myles
    "Elempi" American Bertram 33, 3208T Caterpillar power