Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: New BCF for Cleveland and other local mutterings!!

Re: New BCF for Cleveland and other local mutterings!!

Not all teenage shop attendants are well let's say useless, dropped into the little bait & tackle store in pacific paradise the other day and the young fella in there was a friendly and helpful bloke, loved his fishing too. In fact I went to bcf looking for some decent Fluoro leader and they only had crap, thought oh we'll its a small shop but I'll pop in anyway, there was my FC rock leader! Good range and prices seem competitive....I have no affiliation with them at all but if your in the area pop in. They also open nice and early so I was able to get a big bag of ice without having to drive miles at 5:30 in the morning.

PS they don't have security checks in aisle 3 either

Quote Originally Posted by scrotty View Post
    Hey guys, There are many issues when it comes to employing boating, fishing and camping "experts". In order to employ the experts that you seem to expect in all of the Bcf stores, these experts require experience! Experience only comes with time and therefore age. I am not saying all, but most people with considerable experience are not at stages in there life where they are happy to sell fishing gear for the kind if wage that these big companies offer. Thats why they employ mainly teenage kids for after school and weekend work. Having been in the industry it can also be impossible to assist a lot of supposed experienced fishos as there a lot out there that seem to know everything anyway. Of course there are exceptions, however to expect every person in every store to know more than you regarding everything boating, fishing or camping is just crazy. Business employs the best people they have available to them at any given time! Just my thoughts! Cheers
    So when you take your car,boat,trailer,TV, Mower for repairs do you expect to speak to someone with experience........... What about when you buy a new fridge,microwave,dishwasher,washing machine etc I hope I am getting someone with product knowedge. When you buy new tyres for the car or trailer would you be ok with someone who can't offer any answers or advise "these ones should do they are black and made of rubber".
    I do shop at BCF I have two local stores most times I know what I want BUT other times I am not sure and would like to be offered some sound advise or "I will go and get someone with more experience to assist you sir". I wonder if BCF has any training for these young employees.
    I just bought a $250 reel from BCF rang my closest store young female answers and i tell her what i want, she puts me on hold comes back and says no none in stock. I ring my next closest store young man yes we have one left, i go and get it. Later that day decieded to look at some rods when to the store i first rang and here are two of the reels in stock that i was told had none. Very Pi**ed off.

MARK.

OK, here is a "real life" experience, (yesterday) my son was buying a T curve and a new reel (maybe a Stella) went to BCF, walked out with jack sh!t, the guy gave him a price for the goods, so he called into our local tackle store on the way home, they had the rod in stock, and he ended up with a Daiwa reel instaed of the Stella, and all $80 cheaper than the BCF price, PLUS he got a discount and walked out happy as. Mind you, we both know the local guy, so not 100% sure why he went to BCF in the first place, maybe advertising??

Went to the Lawnton BCF last month with a lady who has never fished for Barra before. She's headed up Nth for a few weeks & wanted some gear. I went with her to give her some idea but after this young bloke came up & asked if he could help us after a minute or two I left them alone as he really knew his stuff showing her how to set a weedless hook into SP's etc & she got a special sale price on rod & reel even though the sale had finished earlier in the week.(Although I did have to pressure them a bit). I probably can't divulge the young fellas name here but it was 3 letters long & started with X.

There is a new one at Green-slopes, went in today, looks alright, the guy had some good fishing tips and was pretty good to talk to.

But alas the soft plastic where a plenty but out of stock of the ones I wanted...

Lets hope this one does not turn into another fly by the seat of your pants shambles with dopey staff and un-stocked shelves.

No stock = temporary business venture.

This might be a bit close to Mossops and those guys on Cleveland Road, though BCF big knobs have obviously seen a market there and are closing in.

BTW Is Mossops in the Gabba still running?
    Last time I went in there was hardly any stock and they had apparently hit hard times.

Mind you they never had any stock any at other over the last 6 years...

Dan

Quote Originally Posted by Noelm View Post
    OK, here is a "real life" experience, (yesterday) my son was buying a T curve and a new reel (maybe a Stella) went to BCF, walked out with jack sh!t, the guy gave him a price for the goods, so he called into our local tackle store on the way home, they had the rod in stock, and he ended up with a Daiwa reel instaed of the Stella, and all $80 cheaper than the BCF price, PLUS he got a discount and walked out happy as. Mind you, we both know the local guy, so not 100% sure why he went to BCF in the first place, maybe advertising??
    so he got a different reel to a Stella and paid $80 less , are you comparing apples and apples or apples and mangos. also was the discount the $80, or did he get an extra $10 when he walked out, so he got $90 off

...of all the liars among mankind, the fisherman is the most trustworthy. ~William Sherwood Fox.

nope, not at all, he got the price for the items he also got at the local, and they were less than the chain store, dont get me wrong here, I am sure BCF and places like that are OK, but because of their full on advertising people think they will just naturally be cheaper, when if you really look, they are not most of the time, sure they may be for "mainstream" types of gear, they are there to make money, simple, and they employ people, so to a point, they must also be supported.

The Cleveland BCF is going in where PM Motors are now.
    The workwear shop next door is moving to the end of the complex so it will be a large BCF.
    The BCF shopfitters have already been thru and measured up for the fit out.

Rod

My dictionary defines green as ‘unripe, immature, undeveloped'. Perfect description.

Most political parties are seen as interested in what the voters think, the Greens are seen as thinking the community should be interested in what they think.

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Micheal View Post
    I'm now near Mackay and regularly frequent Tackle World or the Compleat Angler. Same knowledgeable and great service as the Fish 'N' Bits and Mullet Gut Marine at Toowoomba! I go to BCF in Mackay on the same pretext as before...but the staff from Toowoomba have transferred to Mackay!!!!!!!!
    Had a laugh over this !

Was in BCF Mackay this afternoon to buy some gear so I can have a fish tommorow off the Harbour Rock Wall. Most of my gear is still in Brissie so had a bit to spend. Walked in and there was next to no-one on the floor, 2 at the returns counter chatting away to a couple and 1 manning the checkout. Only 1 on the floor I could see talking to another customer.

Spent 15mins walking around the aisles picking up bits and peices I needed, no biggy didn't need a hand for that. Security was asked to check a couple of sections during that time
    Came time to get the Shimanno 8000 and rod combo advertised for $219 (couldn't find em anywhere so assumed they had to be made up by getting a reel out of the cabinet and putting them on a rod) and couldn't find anyone to help out for 15 mins even after walking around the store twice looking for someone to help as well standing there at the cabinets clearly looking for help even rattled the reel cabinet doors Got the $hits so left $200 odd worth of goodies on the bait freezer, $219 rod n reel combo and walked out

Walked into Compleat Angler 20mins before close and they had me sorted in a jiffy, new rod n reel combo, plenty of goodies & me $460 poorer but with a smile on face I won't be wasting my time with BCF in Mackay in future thats for sure

Also the reel selection leaves little to be desired.

A great lack of good mid range Shimano spinners.

Also what has happened to OKUMA! they used to produce some very good cheap gear, now all that seems on offer is outdated oversize reels and a bait-runner???

Dan