Thread: Other uses for fish

Other uses for fish

It is probably the segment on "Charlie Carp" on the ABC TV's Landline program last week that prompts this this post.

After filleting, I usually bury the fish heads and frames in my garden under the passion fruit vines. I always get terrific passionfruit.

I have read that American Indians used to bury fish under their corn cultivations. Anything that brings the worms has to be good for the plants I reckon.

So, I wonder how many people keep their by-catch to bury in the garden explicitly as a fertiliser.

I have often thought of doing this with the buckets full of grinners that sometimes can plague a fishing outing. Likewise for the smelly big catfish and any other vermin that are legal to keep.

Does anyone do this?

I was curious to see on the TV show that the Charlie Carp people actually cook the carp before they turn them into the bottled fertiliser liquid.

Re: Other uses for fish

I have started putting few frames in the vege patch. Keeping the bloody dog out of it is the only issue.

Bury mine in the garden, make for great compost & worms. Sure stinks when you dig them up, even after 5 weeks!

Over 5 years put a heap of snapper frames into the in-laws garden patch, they grew a crapload of veg in there...its the nitrogen I think

When I fished in SA with a angling club we would get up to 400 kg of Carp being weighted in after a days fishing com. One of our member had an almond orchard and would take all the carp and bury it around the trees.
    Maturity is not when we start speaking BIG things,it is when we start understanding small things

Our frames go under the veg garden, & the guts go in the chook house. They go nuts over them. Camhawk- we had to totally fence our vege garden to keep Munch out.
    Tony

001.JPG,,,,,,, saves digging holes,,,, and soft on your feet
    can it get any better??????????????,,,,,,,,,,,,,,http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hgG_TxEPaQE

Mine go into compost bins. Why buy blood and bone when I can get it for free. Only problem is the compost bin with breathing slots get a few blowies at times

Quote Originally Posted by charleville View Post

So, I wonder how many people keep their by-catch to bury in the garden explicitly as a fertiliser.

Does anyone do this?

Absolutely! Trace has been a mad keen organi vege gardener for years and has always burried the left overs in the vege garden. There is generally no sign of it within a very few weeks in our experience. Great fertilizer / soil enricher

Tim and Trace

Grinners retail for $8 a kg .
    I use the heads to make fish stock. It's gives you a very sweat flavour.
    For your garden use nitrophosphorus .

(snapper heads I mean) I use the fish stocks For soups , congee

Quote Originally Posted by timddo View Post
    Grinners retail for $8 a kg .
    I use the heads to make fish stoke. It's gives you a very sweat flavour.
    For your garden use nitrophosphorus .
    Hey timddo, is that fish stoke or fish stock ?

My old folks and a family friend (from PNG) get all my heads/frames (plus any I get from other fishos discarding frames at the ramp cleaning table while Im there) for stock and soup/congee and then burying in their gardens. They have a preference for snapper/pearlie/mowong heads.

One of the finest firtilisers nature provides. It would be great if we could take home the noxious fish to use in the garden .... give them some level of value.