Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Brain Spiking fish

Brain Spiking fish

Been looking for information on Brain Spiking fish and can't seem to find much...
    1. What do YOU use ?
    2. Do you spike first then cut the throat ?
    3. How do you find the brain on most fish ?
    4. Does it really make a difference to the taste of the fish ?

I have looked on Youtube and Google and can't really find any useful information

Cheers
    Brett

Re: Brain Spiking fish

Brett google ike jime , plenty of info

Hi Brett,

Check out my brothers post

http://www.ausfish.com.au/vforum/sho...=brain+spiking

Regards Goona

Quote Originally Posted by fishfeeder View Post
    Been looking for information on Brain Spiking fish and can't seem to find much...
    1. What do YOU use ? Ideally a spike but a fine pointed knife does the trick
    2. Do you spike first then cut the throat ? Yes, the idea is to instantly kill the fish
    3. How do you find the brain on most fish ? I only know snapper, just behind the eye (And up little bit)is a soft shallow indentation, you can feel it, just use a finger and slide it around, its actually quite easy to identify. Stick your spike or knife in there and aim slightly up to the head, the fish will contort and then quickly go limp if you hit the right spot.
    4. Does it really make a difference to the taste of the fish ? Its not glaringly obvious but I think it is perceptable, the more a fish flaps around the more lactic acid builds up in the muscles...equally important is to bleed and ice it down immediately.

I have looked on Youtube and Google and can't really find any useful information

Cheers
    Brett
    I tried to brain spike an E.C. a while back, thought "Should be through the top of the head", man have they got tough heads, broke the knife and stabbed my hand, it got infected and I had to go to the hospital and ended up on several courses of antibiotics....cod 1, crunchy nil
    Last edited by Crunchy; 17-07-2012 at 08:09 PM. Reason: Correction

Goona, Mate that's a great clip... I remember seeing that ages ago but couldn't find the clip again...

Crunchy, Yeah was thinking it would kill the fish faster then just cutting the throat, but sticking a spike into the hand could wreck a good days fishing...

Going to sharpen an old screw driver and see how it goes.

Cheers
    Brett

I wouldn't bother spiking anything under 7kg.
    Cut throat kills em.

I've got one of those cheap socket/screwdriver "T shaped contraptions that you get for your spark plugs, usually with a chinese whipper snipper or "Talon" chainsaw. took the grinder to it to make it nice and pointy. I have always spike all fish, mainly because that's how I was taught. Any fish that requires bleeding, I still cut the throat.
    I was with the kids on the jetty one day, and a young fella (about 10yo) down the end landed a nice flatty. His dad didn't really know what to do, so I used his knife and showed him how to spike the brain. I also pointed out the spikes on the gills and told them to watch out because you will bleed a fair bit. They were very grateful and very happy and I also told them the best method of filleting the fish. I must have sounded like some sort of expert..... until the another dude came sauntering along the jetty.... I can still hear his spurs jangling on the worn timber of the old jetty (least that's how I remember it). He then went on to show us how to "snap" the flathead at the base of the head rendering it dead even more quickly than my method. I was suitably impressed and have used this method ever since.
    Does anyone else?
    He also came up to me afterwards and said that if you DO get cut by the gills, you simply flip the flattie over, and the slimy goo on the underbelly is actually a coagulant and will help limit the bleeding.... I haven't tried this one yet though... I prefer to just not get cut.
    Dude just wandered away, unaware of the impact he would have on my fishing days, and the knowledge of his that I have passed on since.
    I like to call him "The Flattie King"..... wherever he may be. (wonder if he is related to Spaniard King?)
    ....... bit off topic I guess
    There are only two moments in time.... There's now, and there's too late.

kind of think if the fish is spiked and dead, then cutting the throat will do bugger all, you need the heart pumping to pump the blood out, and as mentioned, couldn't be bothered spiking anything that is not "BIG"

Noel that's one of my questions. Do you Cut the throat and then Brain spike, In that youtube clip that Goona posted, the lady said the heart still beats but the brain is dead, so that would mean it would bleed out like normal or am I missing something ??

We used to kill and butcher a lot of our own animals when I was younger and I would get my ass kicked if I stuffed up a kill... Was told a quick clean kill helps the meat be tender because the animal wasn't stressed... makes sense to me.

Someone's getting excited about September by the sounds of it.

If they are brain dead from spiking the heart will not be beating......brain spiking prevents all bodily functions happening.
    I prefer to throat cut keeper fish and whack thier head in a bucket of sea water, they bleed out very quickly then whack them on ice.
    Makes cleaning the fish so much less messy once they are bled properly.
    I spike keepers I can not let the tail hang out of the bucket in case they kick and upend the bucket. Generally anything over 80cm gets a prod in the noggin if I am going to keep it.
    Jack.

I was going to talk about bleeding after spiking, I've been spiking snapper since I was a teenager, that's how I was taught, we didn't bleed fish. When I move to qld bleeding fish was the MO so now I do either or both as the mood takes me. From observation you can still bleed a spiked fish but they don't seem to bleed out as much as an unspiked fish, personal preference I guess, I think I lean more towards a properly bled fish.

I use to work on commercial vessel and we spiked 1 tonne of Blue Eye Trevalla.

We used a stainless steel spiker that had a hollow point, so when you spiked it the corer will take a piece out then you insert a wire, qwe used about 2 mm or so and shoved it through the whole....the wire travels along the spine until you can go no further then draw the wire out.

Our crew were taught by a Japanese fella who had many years expertise in spiking tuna.

The rationale to this is to kill the fish instantly, as tunaticer said, all functions stop, its the electrical activity that is still carried out when you cut a fishes throat. sure it will bleed but its still doing damage to the flesh...the spiking and follow through with wire stops the electrical conductivity of the fish. You will obtain 100% white flesh this way, if it's not done properly you will see signs of brown tinge in the flesh radiating from the spine outwards.

Japanese are very fussy with their fish , that's why they pay top dollar and 9 times out of 10 use their own crew to carry out this deed.

Hope this might give you an insight as to the rationale....you do this whilst the fish is alive, not dead and definetly dont cut the throat, thats done after its been lobotomised (brain spiked)

Cheers, bondy

I found a few Youtube sites that make a cut down at the tail then they brake the tail and thread a bit of wire up the spine to kill the fish... I guess its the same but in reverse as to what you said Bondy99

Cheers
    Brett

fishfeeder (Brett),

Yep could be, I have not seen or been searching for any Youtube clips, just be going on my knowledge and experience.

About that Youtube clip you was viewing, out of curiosity, what fish were they doing that procedure on?

Cheers, Bondy