Thread: Bribie Island 4WDriving

Bribie Island 4WDriving

I am of to Bribie next week with a few of the boys for some fishing. We are taking our boats but I will also be doing some beach fishing, as I have never driven on Bribie before I am after a few hints as to what it is like.

After doing a search and reading through a few posts I have worked out that there is a beach access track at Woorim (which is where we are stayaing) but the lagoons can often be impassable?

If this is the case then I believe that there is another inland track which takes you up to the top of the island is this correct and what is this track like?
    Cheers Axl

Re: Bribie Island 4WDriving

Ive never done the inland track myself, but if doing the beach run definitely try for right on low tide as it is one hell of a slog otherwise, especially with a boat. nothing like teewah or fraser.. in my experience the lagoons are generally bad after a lot of rain, so i would think that they shouldnt be too bad next week.
    Good luck!

Beach Access track Axl is at the very end of First Ave,,, (down near the Aqua Centre),,,, I haven't been over there in ages,,, as the track near the Rangers station is closer to home,,,, (also I have found a new more quicker way to get on the beach,,,, after living in this house for a few years,,, its only a 15 minute dog walk away???)

what ever you do,,, don't take your boat up there as lbm_83 has pointed out,,,, I've been on the island for over 20 years,,, never seen a boat being towed on the beach yet??

to drive on the beach,,,, or any allowable inland tracks requires a permit,,, i don't know the $$ value for sort term as I normally get a yearly,,, but don't get caught without one,,, (we currently have 2 graduates working on the island,,, let's say the paying their way ),,, permits can be bought at a number of outlets now,, on the island and off,,,

first lagoon crossing still catches out a few tourists,,, but once your past this area its easy,,, not much up there really,,, (the old fort and a few camping grounds),,, but you can travel back from the beach inland and come out at the ranger station (White Patch) and do a bit of exploring on the way back

I'll keep a look out for your boat,,, mines a white stacer sea hawk with a black anchor on the back,,,, normally have chopjr in it with me

a couple of quick tips,,,, Don't leave your car unattended anywhere near Buckleys Hole (not to bad here now) or Skirmish Point,,, Skirmish is an area where you leave your car and walk towards the beach (5 minutes lugging gear),,,, good fishing area,,,, but risky on what happens to your car,,, the timers that I venture over there now Mrs Choppa drops us off and we call her to come get us

I put a map up in the "Yak M&G" thread for Ningi creek,,, have a look at it,,, may come in handy if the weather turns bad

hopefully catch up next week,,,,

choppa
    can it get any better??????????????,,,,,,,,,,,,,,http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hgG_TxEPaQE

Quote Originally Posted by choppa View Post
    Beach Access track Axl is at the very end of First Ave,,, (down near the Aqua Centre),,,, I haven't been over there in ages,,, as the track near the Rangers station is closer to home,,,, (also I have found a new more quicker way to get on the beach,,,, after living in this house for a few years,,, its only a 15 minute dog walk away???)

what ever you do,,, don't take your boat up there as lbm_83 has pointed out,,,, I've been on the island for over 20 years,,, never seen a boat being towed on the beach yet??

to drive on the beach,,,, or any allowable inland tracks requires a permit,,, i don't know the $$ value for sort term as I normally get a yearly,,, but don't get caught without one,,, (we currently have 2 graduates working on the island,,, let's say the paying their way ),,, permits can be bought at a number of outlets now,, on the island and off,,,

first lagoon crossing still catches out a few tourists,,, but once your past this area its easy,,, not much up there really,,, (the old fort and a few camping grounds),,, but you can travel back from the beach inland and come out at the ranger station (White Patch) and do a bit of exploring on the way back

I'll keep a look out for your boat,,, mines a white stacer sea hawk with a black anchor on the back,,,, normally have chopjr in it with me

a couple of quick tips,,,, Don't leave your car unattended anywhere near Buckleys Hole (not to bad here now) or Skirmish Point,,, Skirmish is an area where you leave your car and walk towards the beach (5 minutes lugging gear),,,, good fishing area,,,, but risky on what happens to your car,,, the timers that I venture over there now Mrs Choppa drops us off and we call her to come get us

I put a map up in the "Yak M&G" thread for Ningi creek,,, have a look at it,,, may come in handy if the weather turns bad

hopefully catch up next week,,,,

choppa
    Thanks very much for the info choppa. I can get the permit at the new Marine Parks and Wildlife building they put up at Manly which is just around the corner from me.

I will keep and eye out for you and chop jr when we get on the water.
    Cheers Axl

The inland track is a good drive but don't take the boat. It is a good option if you wanted to fish from the northern end of the beach. The track can get boggy, but at least you're not driving through the lagoon washouts on the beach. I've done the inland track in a Santa Fe without any problems.
    The inland track starts at White Patch. You'll need to check if tracks are open or closed (weather dependant)...
    https://www.derm.qld.gov.au/parks/iaparks/gds/IAGDS020.do?parkId=4
    Cheers,
    Leigh (Kero).

Quote Originally Posted by Kero View Post
    The inland track is a good drive but don't take the boat. It is a good option if you wanted to fish from the northern end of the beach. The track can get boggy, but at least you're not driving through the lagoon washouts on the beach. I've done the inland track in a Santa Fe without any problems.
    Thanks Kero I wont be taking the boat onto the sand it will be launched in Pumicestone passage (I am assuming that there are several ramps) and ill run out from there.
    Cheers Axl

Axl,

Check your weather for launching or recovering in the passage from the Bongaree ramp.
    A S.Westerly will give you grief and can get a bit sloppy.

If in doubt use the old barge ramp near the Marine rescue or Spinnaker Sound ramp.

Have fun Haji-Baba.

this is interesting,,,, only because I have never really thought of it,,, but we now have 2 responses in relation to "towing" a boat on BI beach/inland tracks

a quick look on DERM does not really give any info other than the lack of launching facilities on the western side camping areas,,, and also on the northern camp site on the beach,,,

so a quick call to Ranger Stacey was required,,,, closed for the day,,,

I called DERM Manly,,, there advise (to be confirmed 02/08/2012) is quoted as

BI's inland and beach access is permitted for 4x4's only, displaying a current access pass on the vehicles front windscreen's LHS, the vehicle must be registered. Boat towing, whether it be on the tracks, or beach is uncommon, due to the restriction on launch/retrieve access. To clarify, no launching or retrieval of vessels (motored) are allowed on or from areas that the access passes allow you to enter. This includes PWC, but excludes canoes/kayaks/inflatables (non motored)

4x4 vehicles are allowed to tow camper trailers, but not caravans ie: caravans that are designed for sealed road usage. Further confirmation will follow tomorrow from BI Ranger

i made this call,, purely because i have never seen a boat being towed on BI tracks/beach,,,, and because we now have 2 replies with info regarding this subject,,, not because of the advice itself,,, i am curious,,,, which makes me ask if Kero or lbm_83 have actually done this and where they launched from,,, no dig at them in any way

accessing the camping grounds via boat and mooring vessels is allowed,, Mission Point is a prime example as you can't access it via road,,, but the same rule applies to Gallaghers and Poverty

choppa,,,,,,
    can it get any better??????????????,,,,,,,,,,,,,,http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hgG_TxEPaQE

I doubt very much if there is a restriction on a small registered boat trailer using the inland tracks and launching from the bank at say poverty creek camping ground.

Alternately if camping trailers are ok then a car topper would suffice to get a boat up to Poverty.

Carry it down to the water and you are away.

I know they have rules about backing trailers down the beach but I would think "hand launching"
    would be ok.

Just a thought.

Have fun Haji-Baba.

According to the derm website the inland/northern access track is still closed http://www.derm.qld.gov.au/parks_and...rts/11411.html
    It has been saying that for months. Has anyone been up there lately and can confirm it is still closed?

this is interesting,,,, only because I have never really thought of it,,, but we now have 2 responses in relation to "towing" a boat on BI beach/inland tracks

a quick look on DERM does not really give any info other than the lack of launching facilities on the western side camping areas,,, and also on the northern camp site on the beach,,,

BI's inland and beach access is permitted for 4x4's only, displaying a current access pass on the vehicles front windscreen's LHS, the vehicle must be registered. Boat towing, whether it be on the tracks, or beach is uncommon, due to the restriction on launch/retrieve access. To clarify, no launching or retrieval of vessels (motored) are allowed on or from areas that the access passes allow you to enter. This includes PWC, but excludes canoes/kayaks/inflatables (non motored)

4x4 vehicles are allowed to tow camper trailers, but not caravans ie: caravans that are designed for sealed road usage. Further confirmation will follow tomorrow from BI Ranger

i made this call,, purely because i have never seen a boat being towed on BI tracks/beach,,,, and because we now have 2 replies with info regarding this subject,,, not because of the advice itself,,, i am curious,,,, which makes me ask if Kero or lbm_83 have actually done this and where they launched from,,, no dig at them in any way

accessing the camping grounds via boat and mooring vessels is allowed,, Mission Point is a prime example as you can't access it via road,,, but the same rule applies to Gallaghers and Poverty

choppa,,,,,,
    Thanks choppa from what I can see there is nothing that says you cant beach launch if you wanted too, however I wont be.

Quote Originally Posted by chisel View Post
    According to the derm website the inland/northern access track is still closed http://www.derm.qld.gov.au/parks_and...rts/11411.html
    It has been saying that for months. Has anyone been up there lately and can confirm it is still closed?
    Yeah I saw this last night I suppose ill find out when I go to get my permit from MP&W at Manly.
    Cheers Axl

Quote Originally Posted by chisel View Post
    will confirm on here tomorrow when I bvisit Ranger Stacey in the morn,,,

Quote Originally Posted by Haji-Baba View Post
    I doubt very much if there is a restriction on a small registered boat trailer using the inland tracks and launching from the bank at say poverty creek camping ground.

Alternately if camping trailers are ok then a car topper would suffice to get a boat up to Poverty.

Carry it down to the water and you are away.

I know they have rules about backing trailers down the beach but I would think "hand launching"
    would be ok.

Just a thought.

Have fun Haji-Baba.
    both Gallaghers and Poverty campsites have bollards or fence lines in place stopping this,,,, okay if your carting something light,,, a tinny would be a struggle tho,,,, either way it'll be a learning curve for me,,, and an excuse for a free coffee in the morning,,,,

003.jpg,,,,,,, as I pulled into Ranger Stacey's,,, there was a small convoy of Front End loaders and a couple of work trucks heading up the track,,,, RS must be up there as well as the office door was locked,,, Part 1 of the mission is complete tho' ,,,,,, track is closed,,, but if this weather keeps up it shouldn't be for long

i'll sneak back at smoko',,,, for Part 2

TRACK IS OPEN,,,,,

PART 2 ANSWER: towing a trailered, motor powered boat (private usage) onto any of the accessible tracks/beach areas of BI is not unlawful,,, however launch/retrieve is. The key here is "trailer",,, unless the vessel is able to be launched via hand, restrictions are in place that disallow,, launch/retrieve standard methods whereupon the trailer must enter the water to retrieve. All of the accessible areas of the park are now patrolled daily, in the event of any "suspicion" that a trailered boat found at a campsite may be in breach of launch/retrieve restrictions, Ranger Stacey will request keys or leads to render the vessel unoperable. (Sounds harsh, and has only been done once this year)

There are also implications with Insurance Claims that may arise if the vessel sustains damage whilst it is undertow along these tracks/beach front

when the park was operated via the Caboolture Council,,, storage of boats was offered at the Ranger Station for any tourist visiting, but no longer than 3 days,, this has since been squashed and now falls upon the owner

so in short, car toppers,, trailered tinny's that can be lifted over bollards, or placed in the sea,, kayaks/canoes/inflatables,,, all okay

the number of privately owned boats that do venture onto the beach or inland tracks however are very limited,,, (in saying this I mean "trailered),,,, most activity on the beach front comes from "pro's",,, but even they are know where as numerous as 5-10 years back

at this point of the conversation,,,, the bikkies ran out,,,, which is a shame, cause I had half a cup of my second coffee left,,, oh well,,, at least I learnt something

choppa

choppa,,,,,,

Choppa, I have never taken my boat onto the beach or inland track. I should have been clearer (sorry guys) but I was suggesting that the inland track was a good option if you wanted to fish from the shore. There's definately no where to launch a boat with trailer at any of the inland camps. The only places I ever launch at Bribie, are Spinnaker Marina or Bongaree.
    The tracks would be hell on your boat, trailer & outboard mounts (very bumpy).
    BTW: Mission is a great spot for camping with the boat but Poverty Creek would be a bugger at low tide. It is very shallow & muddy for a long way out from the shore.
    Cheers,
    Leigh (Kero).