Thread: time to plan another adventure - Stanage perhaps

Question time to plan another adventure - Stanage perhaps

Ok - it's time to plan another fishing adventure for 2013 & one place that keeps poping up is Stanage bay. From the little I know of the place it certainly ticks a lot of box's as it has both the estuary element plus the offshore which should be within reach of my 5M Seajay barramasta.
    I guess a deciding factor may boil down to time of year - I'm thinking either March or (&) October yes I'm thinking of 2 trips in 2013 . So how do these two months rate on the Stanage fishometer ? ( I do realise that March could be subject to a high rainfall - but I wont discount it as I will have a contigency to go elsewhere should the need arise ) .
    Are any members experienced with Stanage during these 2 months - what was the fishing like (estuary & offshore)
    Any help or tips would be appreciated - with regards to tides & moon ..... or anything else

Cheers

Chris
    Give a man a fish & he will eat for a day !
    Teach him how to fish
    & he will sit in a boat - & drink beer all day!
    TEAM MOJIKO

Re: time to plan another adventure - Stanage perhaps

Heading 23 Sept 2012 and 23 Sept 2013.

Tides look good, should be a little warmer......hope the wind stays away.

Have had good runs in the past at this time of year. Good reefies and can be great crabbing. And as it warms up, sure makes you feel like you deserve a brew

i have been looking at heading there and been doing some research most things that worry me is wind and rain cause if its rained you cant get in or out and wind cause it seems you cant go fishing (in the boat) if its blowing too hard. but i will get there this year even if its blowing im sure i can explore around to organise a better trip the next time.

Never been there but March is middle of cyclone season

Quote Originally Posted by Still_Dreamin View Post
    Never been there but March is middle of cyclone season
    Getting towards the tail end ....... but yeh a risk - it's why I do have a contingency that is on the way .
    Get it right & I could imagine some pretty good fishing though.

Chris
    Teach him how to fish
    TEAM MOJIKO

I would probably try March as the inshore fishery would be on fire. the Crabbing would be downright dangerous and there should be enough warmth to keep the trout etc active. The Rivers in that part of the world are not as big as around Gladstone or Rocky so I'm not sure how much a bit of rain would impact the fishing. The road in is another story.
    A Proud Member of
    "The Rebel Alliance"

Quote Originally Posted by Horse View Post
    I would probably try March as the inshore fishery would be on fire. the Crabbing would be downright dangerous and there should be enough warmth to keep the trout etc active. The Rivers in that part of the world are not as big as around Gladstone or Rocky so I'm not sure how much a bit of rain would impact the fishing. The road in is another story.
    Run off could be a good thing ......... getting in or out is another

Chris
    Teach him how to fish
    TEAM MOJIKO

I used to do an annual trip to Cape Upstart which is north of Proserpine every year around late March Early April. The weather was always verging on unfishable (some years even followed cyclones up..).......Did jag a couple of good years ( and the fishing was incredible) but it is more like 80/20 chance with the wind that time of year. Crabbing has always been excellent at that time though and the estuary fishing also supberb....but the reefs some years where not an option. I have changed to late August and only go as far as 1770 now and have had 6 years straight of fishable weather..

Nathan

Mate just came back a few weeks ago and the june july was great for the weather. Of your two time slots i would say October cause there may be a few spainiards about and the crabs. the reefs are awesome all year round but wind is only issue. Soak up the road, go slow and enjoy the scenery. Dont comlpain cause if the road was in better nick then you will see every man and his dog there. Plan well prepare your gear and be ready to go hard. Stanage is a total adventure.

i have been up around that way most of my life. your trip in march will all depend on the wet season. you may be lucky to get in, the creeks could be up. then again they might not be but the road will be shocking that time of year. if you get a couple of inches of rain over night you could be stuck there a bit longer. but the fishing should be worth it. keep an eye on the weather when the time gets closer is all i can tell you really.