Thread: Fishing Upper Brisbane River (Ferndale)

Fishing Upper Brisbane River (Ferndale)

I know it is not bass season though I did ask at the tackle shop and apparently you can catch them but not keep them.

So I headed up to Ferndale with a friend to check it out, was just past Ferndale then a right hand turn down a dirt track (I have no idea on fishing spots).

I guess I was hoping for a Yella or Cod for the pan and any bass I caught would be returned (I hear Bass are not good eating anyway).

The river seemed full, I think they must have been letting water out of the dam.
    Some great holes and backwaters, but not a touch

I tried spinner-baits, Bibbed minnows, river-to-sea poppers and large plastic vibes.

Was a nice afternoon and always good to get out and enjoy the river scenery, but not a fish to be had.

Dan

Re: Fishing Upper Brisbane River (Ferndale)

Pretty sure you cant target them during the closed season (June 1st to August 31st). I wouldnt worry about chasing them anyway, they head down to the estuaries to breed. Any that are left wont be to keen to bite due to the cold. I would wait until it starts to warm up a bit, a stormy afternoon in october/november is always the best time to chase them. Definitely tried the right lures.

Are there yella's and cod in the Brisbane river?

Correct, during the closed season, you can't target bass and that includes catch N release outside nominated dams.

What the tackle shop told you is wrong and you were breaking the law.

Love getting into those back waters Dan.

BINGO

Blog Entries

There are the odd yellow in the upper reaches ( but few & far between ) I have fished there heaps over the last 3 years & have only managed 1 yellow on a black / red spinner . No shortage of bass though , but as mentioned by others they are off limits at the moment & they will fire up once things start warming up.

MR-Dan,

If you wanna catch a bass why don't you buy a Stocked Impoundment Permit (SIP) from QLD Govt and go fish the dams for bass? You can fish for bass all year round in the dams.

The money you pay for a SIP goes to fish stocking anyhow.

Cheers,

Pete
    ====================
    Hobie Outback 2012 &
    Hobie Oasis 2012
    ====================

Quote Originally Posted by Gigantor View Post
    MR-Dan,

If you wanna catch a bass why don't you buy a Stocked Impoundment Permit (SIP) from QLD Govt and go fish the dams for bass? You can fish for bass all year round in the dams.

The money you pay for a SIP goes to fish stocking anyhow.

Cheers,

Pete
    Yeah I bought a SIP online.
    Must have read the rules wrong, I thought it said only rivers above some dams (I know you can fish Hinze).

Now if I was really serious I would have hit Hinze up in the early hours of the morning, that's is a very peaceful and picturesque dam, though due to bank access probably have more opportunities in a yak.

Edit: Just noticed your signatures, I don't own a yak but IMO the best way to hit the fresh.

Cheers

Dan

As mentioned, bass closed season opened on September 1. Illegal to target them in all waters except some stocked dams/lakes.
    Cod in Brisbane River are Mary River Cod and are totally protected year round so let these go straight away if you get one.

Best place to learn how to catch bass up there is attend the Wivenhoe Kayak Fishing Convention & Brisbane River Bass Opening Classic 15 & 16 September.

We will be giving all entrants maps/info all of the access points along the river.

Raised funds to restock 12 000 fish at 2011 event.

More info at www.bigfishkayak.com.au
    Last edited by Fitzy; 05-09-2012 at 11:11 PM.
    Australian Lure & Fly Expo - Australia's largest ever gathering of Aussie lures under one roofwww.lureshow.com.au
    Australian Lure Shop - Get aussie made lures direct from the lure makers at www.australianlureshop.com.au