Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Correlation Between Tide Change & Wind Changes

Re: Correlation Between Tide Change & Wind Changes

Just adds credence to the fact that it does happen Macca.

This topic came up on here a few years back and we were just getting into the topic when an individual who is/was well respected around the rec fishing traps, posted that the tide has nothing whatsoever to do with wind. And that was that - no more posts and none of us became any the wiser. But there is definitely a correlation and those who are aware of it can build this knowledge into their fishing activities. Time runs across Moreton Bay so as to avoid getting hit by wind and tidal change mid bay for instance. So, if you have a 9am high tide and the forecast is for moderate SW to SE, then ensure that you are underway by 7am. If the breeze is 10 knots SW when you leave, then you can be pretty sure it's going to stay that way and not going to turn into 15 - 20 knots of SE mid bay. If you don't have this knowledge and you've downed a bottle of bundy the night before and being casual about departure times, then the days fishing can turn pretty ugly on you.

Tides turning - breeze has swung from NW to NE and kicked a couple of knots.

Actually, the breeze briefly swung to the NE with a couple of small storm cells that turned up just as the tide began to run. Then dead still.

Would personally agree with Noelm on this; lived within 200m of the high tide mark for the last 33 years and my take would be diffence between the land and sea temperatures.
    I'm going to try and take note of your theory though Slider and try and make some observations. I'm thinking maybe could depend on the size of local (saltwater esturine) inland water bodies in contrast to straight land/sea coastal landscapes?

I probably have an assessment advantage in that I hear the breeze change through the sound of the surf. I can sit at my pc, hear a change in the surf noise due to wind direction, look at the clock and correlate with tide times. Probably been paying attention to it for 15 years since a pro mackerel fisherman was astounded that I wasn't aware of the correlation.

its a weird thing that is hard to put some kind of hard facts towards correlating the two together.. tide and wind changes.. I was just talking about this the other night and bang on the low tide (night time) the wind picked up.. Ive seen it happen so many times and always wondered why?
    dont knock on deaths door... ring the doorbell and run... death hates that!!

I'm not sure if anyone knows why Nathank - would be great to establish a reason.
    I've decided that there might be an easy way to test this. The BOM site has daily half hour observations of wind direction and wind speeds. I'll select a few random days and a few random locations and draw up a chart with wind speeds/direction around tidal changes and post the results. We'll see what happens. I noticed that the wind kicked here yesterday after the morning low, but I doubt that high pressure driven westerly air flows are when these sorts of changes are most likely to occur.

Slider if you truly want to know if your effect is real or if it's a case of confirmation bias you need to do it scientifically.

That means select the days truly randomly ie use a random generator to select the month and the day and do as many as you can.

Do not discard any because they don't fit. Good luck... I hope you see a correlation. But of course if it was science it would need to be statistically significant to 95%. And that's just to get a gernsey. After that its cross checked and further confirmed or refuted.

There are a lot of other factors to doing it correctly..... For instance you might need to break it into summer, winter, spring etc. and work randomly keeping that one variable constant. Or maybe assume that is only when a high is over the center of Oz.... And only examine those days randomly.

As you can see it is not a trivial undertaking if you want to do it right.... And I have only just scratched the surface here....

And I just couldn't be bothered going to those lengths unfortunately WalrusLike. It's not that important - just an interest thing. But let's say I have time on 7 days over a period of a fortnight, then we might get an indication. Or we just ask Livio - last time I tried that though, the Ch 7 website crashed my pc.

Tide started running back in yesterday and the wind came in. Ask a sailor, they know. I was sitting on the dock yesterday, little wind. We needed the wind cause we had to win a race to take out the series. Sure as the sun rises in the east, soon as the tide turned the wind came in.

hi Lindsay i have always noticed this and i remember my father telling me when i was a kid that the wind can quiet often pick up on the turn of the tide. its very interesting and i believe its defiantly associated.
    cheers Jim

G'day Jim - thought you'd be on to it.

At Agnes the other week with Chook an crew - didn't notice any changes there - think it stayed at 35 knots through every tide.

Quote Originally Posted by WalrusLike View Post
    Slider if you truly want to know if your effect is real or if it's a case of confirmation bias you need to do it scientifically.

That means select the days truly randomly ie use a random generator to select the month and the day and do as many as you can.

Do not discard any because they don't fit. Good luck... I hope you see a correlation. But of course if it was science it would need to be statistically significant to 95%. And that's just to get a gernsey. After that its cross checked and further confirmed or refuted.
    Or you could do a phone poll asking 300 random people if the tide changes affect the wind. Than you can take your results to the government and charge them $250,000 for your results and we can stop people going fishing when there is a change of tide just in case there is also a strong wind change which might make it to dangerous for the average snapper fisherman.
    (All tongue in cheek of course)

On a serious note but, in regards to Moreton Bay if the wind is howling (excess 20knts) we always plan our trip home to coincide the tides and winds and have noticed that after the tide changes to the same direction as the wind that the wind does seem to back off a bit.

For example we did a 3 day camping trip at Moreton last year on the Queens Birthday weekend (I think) and it was blowing 30knts SE all weekend and we planned our trip back home to Nudgee to coincide with the out going tide, although I haven't checked the observations it did feel like the wind had dropped out quite a bit by the time we were half way across the bay.

I don't know if the wind and tide are related or not but I do know that if you have wind against tide in the bay (especially strong winds) you can expext the in the middle of the bay to have a lot of sizeable pressure waves. But if the wind and tide are heading the same way the wind does not seem to have as punch and the bay is a lot more manageable.