Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tackle for the Swains

Tackle for the Swains

Start with I realise this question has been asked many times before. Hopefully I have a small twist that might get some different answers.

Most of my fishing experience is surf, bream/whiting boat fishing or impoundment barra. However currently waiting for confirmation of a trip to the Swains. Completely new to this type fishing, therefore after some advice on gear.

The group I'm hopefully going with generally bottom bash from the main boat and cast towards the reef from dorys. One of the group that I'm going with can lend me a Penn Spinfisher 950. Not sure if I can also borrow a rod as well.

I was thinking for two reasons I should get another combo to take. Firstly I would hate to only take that and something happen on the first day and not be able fish for the rest of the week. Secondly and here is the twist, from my impoundment barra experience, I really don't like spinning reels. I'm proficient in casting a baitcaster, but not sure how similar or harder a larger overhead is?

So the question is, what do you recommend as a rod and reel combo for the above type fishing? This is based on the criteria that don't want a spinning reel and has to be something that can be cast from the dorys.
    Last edited by Gumby_III; 26-07-2012 at 08:14 PM. Reason: Spelling

Re: Tackle for the Swains

For general reef fishing in an overhead combo, a good starting combo would be a Shimano TLD 15 on a 15 kg or 15 -24 kg rod , using 50 lb braid with 60-80 mono or flurocarbon leader, using 7/0 -8/0 hooks. The TLD 15 is great value for money, and you dont need a bigger one as it will hold stacks of line. Dont be tempted, as you want to keep your rig as light as possible. I often see blokes with way over the top size reels which require tons of line to fill the spool, and its just a waste.

The key also with rigging with braid is to consider loading most of the spool up with mono line which is cheap and then loading about 200 metres of braid on the top. Thats if you are wanting to save cash. The amount of braid required to fill a generic reef reel is quite expensive. If going on such a trip, which will be great fun, always take plenty of spare line , hooks, sinkers, especially reef fishing, to cover for bust offs etc. Generally when fishing coral as well its best to fish straight up and down, vertical, as casting out aroung reef will garuntee or greatly maximise snags and a lot of lost gear. Coral trout in particular will drag you under coral in an instant so you need direct contact with the bottom, and no slack, did you hear me? no slack. You will have a ball!!

Cheers
    "let not he boast who puts his armor on, as he who takes it off"

I have bought two overhead reels out of the US in the last twelve months or so that I would consider perfect for the swains.

Penn Baja special 113hn. 4/0 narrow reel it will hold 250m of 55lb schnider mono or plenty of 80lb braid. built on a machined metal frame, 28lbs carbon drag, double dogs.This reel will last a lifetime.

Penn Fathom 25N. Compact narrow reel the size of a torium16, only better. Perfect with 50lb or higher braid will hold 350 of 65lb braid. 25lbs carbon drag, double dogs and cast control.

Neither reel is available here yet. http://www.charkbait.com/cs/csrp2.htm

You can get them filled with any combination of braid and mono at charkbait at a fraction of the price we pay for line in aust. which will offset the freight cost compaired to a locally bought reel. *EDIT, these reels come with free braid at the moment*

Good call Diabolical. It`s a real shame we don`t get PENN`s latest offerings here. They have really lifted their game recently.

Depends if casting towards reef you mean throwing lures?? Or just throwing baits towards the reef. A spin rod for lures/plastics would definitely be handy and mix the day up and could nearly double as a light troll outfit. A penn spinfisher would handle that adequately.

Yeah I havent heard of them either, however I researched them and yes they look nice with good specs

Only issue I have is the gear ratios. Like other leading brands ,these fathoms are all real fast. I prefer the option of a say, 5.4 to one or a 4.8 as with reef fishing it gives you more even cranking power. Its a good balance between a 2 speed reel.

Quote Originally Posted by diabolical View Post
    I have bought two overhead reels out of the US in the last twelve months or so that I would consider perfect for the swains.

Penn Baja special 113hn. 4/0 narrow reel it will hold 250m of 55lb schnider mono or plenty of 80lb braid. built on a machined metal frame, 28lbs carbon drag, double dogs.This reel will last a lifetime.

Penn Fathom 25N. Compact narrow reel the size of a torium16, only better. Perfect with 50lb or higher braid will hold 350 of 65lb braid. 25lbs carbon drag, double dogs and cast control.

Neither reel is available here yet. http://www.charkbait.com/cs/csrp2.htm

You can get them filled with any combination of braid and mono at charkbait at a fraction of the price we pay for line in aust. which will offset the freight cost compaired to a locally bought reel.

I understand the need for a slightly lower ratio and it is available in the Penn Torque as option in the form of a drop in gear set for $50. The "new"Torque is the same design as the fathom only with top level components such as a machined frame. I found it hard to justify the higher price for a untested design where as the Fathom fitted the budget.

The cranking power on the Fathom25N is great for a mid priced reel with 6:1 (about 1meter)ratio. I actually was after a reel to chuck metals with as well as bottom bash. The smaller fathoms(12/15) have the same ratio and drag but lack the retrieval rate(and double dogs) I wanted for high speed stuff. There is speculation that Penn may offer the same after market type of drop in lower ratio gear as the Torque to fit the Fathoms.

The new Spinfisher V is due for release soon. Dont know how I can sneek that one past the Blood Hound.

You really love your Penns Diabolical, and it sounds like some of their new range are going to get a renewed share of the market. I personally use a Daiwa Saltiga 40 for reef fishing which has a mid range ratio of 5.4-1 Expensive I know but enjoyable. Also keep a Saltist 30T with same ratio which is a great reel for the price.
    Last edited by odes20; 24-07-2012 at 04:47 PM. Reason: spelling

Yeah good comment warti
    Big difference in those two methods
    Quote Originally Posted by warti View Post
    Depends if casting towards reef you mean throwing lures?? Or just throwing baits towards the reef. A spin rod for lures/plastics would definitely be handy and mix the day up and could nearly double as a light troll outfit. A penn spinfisher would handle that adequately.

These two are the first Penns I have ever bought. I dont think they will be the last.

Shimano makes up 70% of my gear including Torsa, Talica, Spheros, Baitrunner, Sustain and Stradics BUT I see far better value in the new generation Penns. I really like what Penn is doing at the medium price point and yes it should rattle the Shimano/Daiwa cage a little bit.

The Saltiga is great reel, any more high end stuff and Id be threatened with divorce.

The BAJA 113hn has a 4.5 gear ratio and a tall spool. plenty of cranking power there.

Yep Reggy thats a good ratio. I think the earlier 113 and 114 senators were only 4.0 so they have lifted it a little
    Also found you can get the Baja and the FATHOMS on Ebay usa at reasonable prices.

Quote Originally Posted by odes20 View Post
    Yep Reggy thats a good ratio. I think the earlier 113 and 114 senators were only 4.0 so they have lifted it a little
    Also found you can get the Baja and the FATHOMS on Ebay usa at reasonable prices.
    Charkbait will load these reels with braid at no extra cost(I didnt want to say free because nothing is free) . The US economy must be tough!

Definitely bait, but I wouldn't be adverse to chucking some lures. My understanding was that they cast towards the reef, but what you and others have said about straight up and down makes sense.

While my place on the trip is not definite, it is firming well as they have had a number of people pull out. I have ended up buying a Saltist 50, therefore between that and the Spinfisher, I probably right for reels, unless you recommend otherwise.

Any suggestions for rods to match to these?
    Last edited by Gumby_III; 26-07-2012 at 08:23 PM. Reason: Spelling

If your going to fish the reef edge in a dory use a hand line 50lb and 70lb and if your keen 35lb for the first 12ft of water from the top of the reef down you will get more trout,when you get busted change to the 50lb and when busted on that go 70lb and finger stalls there a must and if you do take some hand lines let out all the line on the way out there for 30minites to take the stretch out and twists out of the line and wind then on tight,you pick a reef from the top down so not to put the fish off deeper down,when you drop a fish it puts the other fish off,and use your rods out deeper were you want get busted as much in the reef.