Thread: Nitro 15 ft Frankenstein 3 pc surf rod

Nitro 15 ft Frankenstein 3 pc surf rod

Its very long large and heavy, It may be the crap?

Any opinions?

Dan

Re: Nitro 15 ft Frankenstein 3 pc surf rod

The nitro range of rods are brilliant. It's the 15' that makes it heavy/hard to balance. I have the 13' messiah. If you are able to afford another $100+ then check out the daiwa saltiga ballistic surf. I also have one. Very light for a 13' rod, quality fugi components, can be used as a spin or overhead. Casts 2- 10oz sinkers and has a line capacity of 12kg. The guys here in vic use them for land based shark fishing

I looked at the 15' in Sydney earlier in the year...too long..although to be fair I only tried it in the shop. What is the 3 piece like to use in practice....any dead spots from the joins? I am amazed it can cast such a huge range...do you have to be built like Arnie to cast 10oz to really load it?

Quote Originally Posted by mikeyh View Post
    I looked at the 15' in Sydney earlier in the year...too long..although to be fair I only tried it in the shop. What is the 3 piece like to use in practice....any dead spots from the joins? I am amazed it can cast such a huge range...do you have to be built like Arnie to cast 10oz to really load it?
    IMO the joints and the length of the rod + Graphite stiffness + weight reduce casting power, though you might get a few extra meters with it with a heavy bait, nothing flash.

I do have a heavy reel on it though.

Dan

better off with a century or zziplex.2 piece rods .unless you have preference for travel rods 15', 3 piece i think would be a bit sus on a pendulum type cast with 150g wich i use most.plus i supose your using a fixed spool wich would be ok for the fixed reel seat.the century and zips have the moveable reel seats so you can put it any where it suits you.also there are a number of other 'casting' rods out there.i have the centry tip tornado lite and the sport.the sport is my fave 125g-225g and on the beach is capable of 200+ meters the lite is a great rod for your usual fishing but still has enough grunt to punch out 150g pendulum and to haul in the big catches.is the nitro realy rated @ 10oz 280g?

Quote Originally Posted by hangar View Post
    better off with a century or zziplex.2 piece rods .unless you have preference for travel rods 15', 3 piece i think would be a bit sus on a pendulum type cast with 150g wich i use most.plus i supose your using a fixed spool wich would be ok for the fixed reel seat.the century and zips have the moveable reel seats so you can put it any where it suits you.also there are a number of other 'casting' rods out there.i have the centry tip tornado lite and the sport.the sport is my fave 125g-225g and on the beach is capable of 200+ meters the lite is a great rod for your usual fishing but still has enough grunt to punch out 150g pendulum and to haul in the big catches.is the nitro realy rated @ 10oz 280g?
    Its 28 - 142 g, which sounds about right.
    The rod is very heavy for standing in the surf and you feel like your at the Olympic games when your casting.

Definitely able to handle good fish though I feel half the battle would be holding the rod, not the fish, I have only caught medium fish on the rod not whoppers.

I may return to glass resin I think.

Bit stiff just too heavy for me in the surf.

I wasnt really wowed by it and you have confirmed some of my fears MRD. Thats how I feel about my Tiralejo........just never feels like I am getting it working when I cast it....maybe I need to up the weight or take some steroids

mikeyh.
    if you are talking about the ballistic. i haven't tried 10oz, but have tried 8 oz. didn't put much grunt into it ( cause i was scared ) but it went a good 50/60 metres. The rod has no flat spot and has a brilliant curve when under load. Quite sensitive. But then again, for the money i want everything lol

Bought myself a 13ft Daiwa SS Sensor the other day (two piece).

I have to say, an awesome rod (as is the 12 ft SS Sensor I already own).

Very light and has some nice flex for a cast.

I can cast a Pike tail a good distance with an 7 or 8 ball sinker on it, would throw a pilly a mile.

I got 50lb on the 13 ft with 25lb shock leader and 40lb end leader.
    20 lb FC 100 mono on the 12 ft with 40lb end leader (kind of heavy leaders I could go 20lb if needed).
    Very nice.

Very happy with the rod and would recommend checking the 13 ft out if your considering a downsize from large heavier 15 ft models.

I like the nice large guides and some strength in the tip for casting heavier baits, but most of all it is a very light rod.

It can be cut down to suit your arm length by cutting a bit off the extended butt section ( I have not done this yet but intend to remove about 6 inches).

I target Tailor, and Mulloway, large bream (great rod for Tailor, though both rods could handle a good size Jewie no probs).

I rate em pretty high for casting, the material they are made from really does release a cast nicely.

I have only loaded the 12 ft up on a very very large shovel (I think) and while my reel at the time was under gunned, the rod can hold a massive fish no worries, I imagine the 13 ft would be stronger though have not landed anything big on it as yet.

Bit on the exy side as they go for around $270.00, but far better than to spend on a rod you can use to its full potential.

Dan

Sounds good mrd. Have to have a look at one as I want to sell my tiralejo. How much are the saltiga ballistics?

Mind you I will most likely make and not buy a made up rod as the very few rods I have bought and not made have been a bit disappointing. I think it will be a long road before I find he right blank(s) that tick most of my boxes
    Mike

Sounds good mrd. Have to have a look at one as I want to sell my tiralejo. How much are the saltiga ballistics?
    I think they go for over $500, not sure.

Dan