Thread: 12FT Surf rod for Yalata

12FT Surf Rod

Hey all,

I am really new to rod building. Have only ever rebound a couple of guides and now want to tackle a full builds for my upcoming trip to Yalata.

I am going with the Kilwell MT81442 from ########.

What I do need some guidance on is placement of reel seat and guides etc. Not sure what the best distances would be to use for this rod. I am pairing it with a Penn Spinfisher 950SSM http://www.rayannes.com.au/products/...iros-braid-99/

Would the make of guides be something to consider? What brand would you suggest to be best when considering a budget, same with reel seat.

I know there are a few questions here, but any information at all that will help me with this build will be much appreciated!!

Regards
    Jonathan

Re: 12FT Surf rod for Yalata

FWIW, IMHO stick with Fuji. Alconite or better guides, and whatever seat fits the bank at the point where the reel is most comfortable for you.
    Guide placement is an extension on this; number of guides may depend on whether you subscribe to the US theory - one for every foot of blank length plus one, or Aus theory, ie 'cone of flight'.... personally I have found the US theory quite effective.
    Cheers and enjoy your build!

Re: 12FT Surf rod for Yalata

Thanks for the info mate. I think I will go with the US theory after doing a little reading.