Thread: furuno 585 to simrad nss8 nema

furuno 585 to simrad nss8 nema

hi all....i am wanting to link the 585 to nss8 and get lat and long on the 585 and depth on the nss. Will it save a mark that i mark on the 585 to my plotter or only save the lat and long on 585 then i have to manually add new waypoint on my plotter. do i have to change any settings in the menus of the 585 and nss or do i have to turn on anything. i read in the nss manual about the nema 0183 for rs422 and nema 0183 for rs232 and talker and listener but dont understand it at all...
    call me stupid but is it as easy as hooking the same colour wires together or not that simple
    any help would be much appreciated
    in the pic the nss cable with the av plugs has o,g,b,y, wires
    585 has y,r,g,w,black,blue,brown
    cheers mick
    Attached Images Attached Images
    ...........GOOD THINGS COME TO THOSE WHO BAIT.........

Re: furuno 585 to simrad nss8 nema

Mick,

No it wont work quit the way you think. when the two units are wired (nmea 0183) the 585 will record a mark in its own list. It will only hold 10 gps marks. Now in saying that, once you have the mark you can then write it down or type it into your gps (so you can have it for future reference), the 585 is not able to tranfer it back to your gps.

As for the wiring. Send from one unit goes to recieve on the other unit. then recieve to send in the opposite direction. you also need a negative to the shield on the 585 for it to work.

Regards
    HOnda.

Mick, i went through the same thoughts but with a 585 and garmin 750 plotter. Given the limited "gps" functionality of the 585 i ended up not bothering sending GPS data to the 585, i just connected the 585 output to the garmin input wires and got depth and tempfrom the furuno onto my plotter screen and ploter also saves this data when i save marks. Couldn't be bothered going back the other way with gps data.

Scott

Thanks for the help honda and scott....i did think that i would have to enter the waypoint in the plotter manually... thats ok... thought it would be a good option for when iam traveling at speed and see a bump mark it instead of following track back.
    still dont understand the wiring part as in the 585 manual its not clear of what colour wires are input /output...... so its not a case of hooking ....red to red...blue to blue..yell to yell...green to green... then black wire on the 585 to earth ....or is it ....in the 585 manual it says adjustment after instal and has different settings under the nmea menu so am guessing i have to turn on in menu aswell... looks like another no boating weekend so will have a play around then........i usually have half an idea but this has me stumped.
    cheers again mick

You can send marks from the sounder to your plotter only if it is a compatible Furuno plotter (
    Heath
    Gold Coast
    WWW.GCFISHING.COM

mick,

simrad
    orange = recieve
    green ground
    blue= transmit
    yellow ground

you need to get the 585 config as well for the other side of the connection. I did post it some time ago if you do a search in this forum.

Regards
    HOnda.

This how I would wire and set it up...
    Simrad Blue ====> Furuno Yellow
    Simrad Yellow ====> Furuno Green =====> Gnd
    Simrad Orange ====> Furuno White
    Simrad Green ====> Furuno Blue =====> Gnd

You will need to make sure that the NMEA 0183 is selected on both devices and that the baud rate is the same.
    On the SIMRAD make sure RS232 is selected.
    On the Furuno make sure NMEA Port is in/out and NMEA output is on.

I make no guarantees this will work, its just how I would do it, if it were me.
    Heath
    Gold Coast
    WWW.GCFISHING.COM

thanks for the help boys honda/heath .....ill go have a play around with it now.....fingers crossed....hopefully ill get it sorted.... cheers mick

Quote Originally Posted by Heath View Post
    This how I would wire and set it up...
    Simrad Blue ====> Furuno Yellow
    Simrad Yellow ====> Furuno Green =====> Gnd
    Simrad Orange ====> Furuno White
    Simrad Green ====> Furuno Blue =====> Gnd

You will need to make sure that the NMEA 0183 is selected on both devices and that the baud rate is the same.
    On the SIMRAD make sure RS232 is selected.
    On the Furuno make sure NMEA Port is in/out and NMEA output is on.

I make no guarantees this will work, its just how I would do it, if it were me.
    Heath this was spot on mate all up and running..... thanks so much
    there is a wealth of knowledge on this forum ....

thanks for everyones help that replied
    hope i can help out one day
    now off to the ramp to test out the new trim tabs
    cheers mick

Hi ausfisho's i know this is an old thread but what ive done is linked a navman 8120 to a furuno 585.Everything is working but the problem is between the navman and furuno the lat and long are different.
    On nav unit there is 3 digits on the end of lat and long and the furuno has 4 at end of lat and long but is displayed in north and east instead of south and east like the nav unit.
    When i use the scroll back function and create a waypoint on furuno it then comes up with the 3 digits on the end of lat and long but is still in north and east.
    Is there anyway of changing it so it displays south and east and is it a problem having that extra digit on the furuno.What i have also noticed is between the 2 units numbers dont match up.
    cheers justin.

Thought I would bump this post up with an update.

Just came across this item http://www.mark.fish/ which will apparently connect a Furuno to any GPS.
    Also has an option to add a remote mark button anywhere on the boat so you can mark a spot even while your fishing down the back of the boat.

Could be a handy option for those who already have say a 585/588 and a HDS on their boats.