Thread: 1770 offshore

1770 offshore

Heya guys!

I'm thinking of heading up to 1770 for a week in August sometime. I was wondering if this is a crazy thought to do with a 4.7mtr boat? I'm very interested in bagging my first Red!

Any thoughts as well where to pick up some general GPS marks for reefs other then the local fishing shops?

--julian

Re: 1770 offshore

Julian,

there is plenty of stuff in close that you can fish, within a 40 km radius, in the right weather conditions it would be easy. Bustard head for some trolling about 20km each way.

Getting to the musgrave however is quite a run, its 60km each way (fuel range ). once you get there you dont need to go far however. Just be sure the weather window is right for you.

Regards
    HOnda.

Pick yourself up a (free) copy of the restricted zones so you don't get caught out. The servo at Agnes has them.

You can lead a horse to water etc etc.

Catching Reds is not simply a matter of placing your boat and bait over a GPS mark. Many other factors are involved.

Firstly, I would seek local advice and also have a look at Wicked Fishing's . DVD. Not saying it is the be all and end all, as I have seen first hand , beginners luck with mates pulling 10kg fish on their first drop.

I would suggest you head towards the Banana Gutters keeping a close eye on your sounder, and from there make a line towards Musgrave Island.

Sure, a lot of fish are caught on the outer side of the islands in the 50 - 70mtr depth range, but I have also seen them caught within a few k's of the bar.

Have a plan with your boat. Decide which direction to go, how far etc. Plot some points from your chart / GPS as most contours will be shown. Log on to VMR Round Hill on VHF 82.

4.7mtrs is not a big boat, but I frequently travelled up to 19k's offshore there in a 4.1 tinnie, on good days.

Not so much the size but the seaworthiness of your boat and safety gear and your experience as a skipper are the important things.
    Bigger boats and massive engines have become the norm these days but in the olden days I remember my dad and his mates going off to places like Deep Tempest in 16' home built plywood boats with 60 hp Johnno's on the back, No VMR or VHF radios or Epirbs, No GPS, just a compass, a couple of spare portable fuel tanks and some heavy hand lines, the flash guys might have had a 10" alvey on a broom stick. They brought home some nice fish though.

I have been to 1770 a couple of times a few years back now when the road was terrible. First time headed out to around Bolt Reef about 30nm or more out so being my first time out there my experienced mate in another boat pulls up and says over the radio, "this is a good spot to catch some bait (Hussar) for the Reds. Told me to fish just like I was after some Squire, so I baits up a Pilly on a couple of 4.0, 7766's and fed it down and whammo after a bit of a tussle on light gear a nice Red comes into the boat, I call the mate up, told him "geez the hussar are big up here"
    Beginners luck he yells out.. I figured as much so back to fishing for bait, Whammo another good Red comes into the boat. Yeah I know beginners luck again, well it happens for sure.
    So we ended up with some nice Hussar for bait, also had some fresh Mullet and Tailer fillets, couldn't get another Red though for the day and were plagued by Sharks although we ended up with a nice enough mixed bag and well fed sharks.

Second trip up we couldn't get out as the forecast didn't eventuate so it happens.
    I am looking forward to the M&G later in September though, hope I get there and hope it turns out well and we get some good fishing in, otherwise will be listening to plenty of stories over a stubby or three I would imagine.

Quote Originally Posted by Just one of the Boys View Post
    You can lead a horse to water etc etc.

Catching Reds is not simply a matter of placing your boat and bait over a GPS mark. Many other factors are involved.

Firstly, I would seek local advice and also have a look at Wicked Fishing's . DVD. Not saying it is the be all and end all, as I have seen first hand , beginners luck with mates pulling 10kg fish on their first drop.

I would suggest you head towards the Banana Gutters keeping a close eye on your sounder, and from there make a line towards Musgrave Island.

Sure, a lot of fish are caught on the outer side of the islands in the 50 - 70mtr depth range, but I have also seen them caught within a few k's of the bar.

Have a plan with your boat. Decide which direction to go, how far etc. Plot some points from your chart / GPS as most contours will be shown. Log on to VMR Round Hill on VHF 82.

4.7mtrs is not a big boat, but I frequently travelled up to 19k's offshore there in a 4.1 tinnie, on good days.
    All I'm trying to do is plan atm and see if it is worthwhile. Thanks for your advice. I will be getting Greg's DVD this week too.

--julian

Quote Originally Posted by johncar View Post
    Not so much the size but the seaworthiness of your boat and safety gear and your experience as a skipper are the important things.
    My boat is a stacer and is pretty seaworthy for it's size. I currently take her out south passage and the goldcoast a lot, up to 10-15nm offshore. I think my experience as a skipper is good, but always lots to learn and improve on! Aussie123 use to own a boat like mine and that crazy dude use to head to the shelf with it.

Quote Originally Posted by johncar View Post
    Bigger boats and massive engines have become the norm these days but in the olden days I remember my dad and his mates going off to places like Deep Tempest in 16' home built plywood boats with 60 hp Johnno's on the back, No VMR or VHF radios or Epirbs, No GPS, just a compass, a couple of spare portable fuel tanks and some heavy hand lines, the flash guys might have had a 10" alvey on a broom stick. They brought home some nice fish though.

I have been to 1770 a couple of times a few years back now when the road was terrible. First time headed out to around Bolt Reef about 30nm or more out so being my first time out there my experienced mate in another boat pulls up and says over the radio, "this is a good spot to catch some bait (Hussar) for the Reds. Told me to fish just like I was after some Squire, so I baits up a Pilly on a couple of 4.0, 7766's and fed it down and whammo after a bit of a tussle on light gear a nice Red comes into the boat, I call the mate up, told him "geez the hussar are big up here"
    Beginners luck he yells out.. I figured as much so back to fishing for bait, Whammo another good Red comes into the boat. Yeah I know beginners luck again, well it happens for sure.
    So we ended up with some nice Hussar for bait, also had some fresh Mullet and Tailer fillets, couldn't get another Red though for the day and were plagued by Sharks although we ended up with a nice enough mixed bag and well fed sharks.

Second trip up we couldn't get out as the forecast didn't eventuate so it happens.
    I am looking forward to the M&G later in September though, hope I get there and hope it turns out well and we get some good fishing in, otherwise will be listening to plenty of stories over a stubby or three I would imagine.
    It's all for a learning experience. I'll be happy just learning 1770 for the first time, scoring a red would be a bonus. I'd really like to go to the next M&G at 1770, so part of this trip would be to build up confidence so I can finally go to a M&G.

There are many first timers going to the M & G, I hear.

We were all first timers once and some " figured out " the place quicker than others.

Do some research here on AF in the Advanced Search at the top right hand side of the pages. Plenty of reports, advice, locations and photos.

PM with other stuff heading your way.

Mate no need for experience at the M&G. Just need to be able to drink beer and get along with folks. The fishing , or catching fish,is just a bonus. As stated plenty of ground up there in closer but most will try to get on the eastern side of the reef. It is a truly awesome spot and worth the trip. Check this bloke out in his 4.8m tinny doing it with style. And he is gay!! (Allegedly))

Saw this looney a while ago too....

Quote Originally Posted by thelump View Post
    Mate no need for experience at the M&G. Just need to be able to drink beer and get along with folks. The fishing , or catching fish,is just a bonus. As stated plenty of ground up there in closer but most will try to get on the eastern side of the reef. It is a truly awesome spot and worth the trip. Check this bloke out in his 4.8m tinny doing it with style. And he is gay!! (Allegedly))

Excuse me mr lump but I have heard that bloke is 'MARRIED' with kids and is super awesome and an unbelievable fisherman

Cheers from boony
    Fishing can be defined as "A jerk on one end of the rod, waiting for a jerk on the other".
    "Fishing was around along time before you darling"

Quote Originally Posted by Just one of the Boys View Post
    Saw this looney a while ago too....

Where's ya deckie I hear you ask??? Probably repairin ya rods...