View Poll Results: Would you like to see a state wide Rec Fishing Licence introduced in Qld

Voters
211. You may not vote on this poll
  • YES to the Qld Gov introducing a Rec Fishing Licence

72 34.12%
  • NO to the Qld Gov introducing a Rec Fishing licence

139 65.88%
Page 4 of 14 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: Qld Rec Fishing Licence? Yes or No

Exclamation Re: Qld Rec Fishing Licence? Yes or No

DAFF's objective is too MAXIMUM harvest ,across all A&F&F sectors....above minimum biomass...of course

NO RFL will occur , SIP will remain.
    RFL is a 'scare' to make you accept lower bag/size...simple , and Commercials "MAINTAINING" >min biomass...even simplier.
    jmo

Re: Qld Rec Fishing Licence? Yes or No

another useless tax

no thanks

Quote Originally Posted by cormorant View Post
    That really is dependent on what type of fishing they were doing and in what systems. The biggest change to many waterways has been the reduction in pollution , stopping industrial waste and silt in some systems. Yep the harbour got better but in reality the bought out fishing lic
    in a large part were lic that were not being used and in areas where they stopped trawling the trawling effort has moved to other systems and is gradually decimating them.

If you want to play to a small group of Nimby city fishers then get a Lic and charge heaps for it and fix up a localised city fishery problem but if you want real change and a sustainable fishery Australia wide grab a pollitician and a department head by the nuts and get a serious long term answer by doing propper science and correct allocation to long term researchaend set limits accordingly and actually police the limits . You don't need a lic to police fish limits. Stop allowing politicians placing all of us in the lowest common denominator box by calling us thieves and assuming we are out to break the rules just cause some nimby green group ( better funded and organised than fishing groups) says so.

Now in my extended family we have hundreds of thousands of dollars tied up in boating and fishing. ya telling me I can apply to be bought out and compensated for the loss of a fishing area that becomes a marine park or a non take species and new size limits. Nah i'm not commercial and I can't put a value on my enjoyment and the fish I put on my table knowing they are fresh and been treated well.

Don't get sucked into a fishing lic - it's a fraud.
    Dont kid yourself ...... !!!!!
    Most of the estuaries on the NSW coast had all of the commercial licences bought out ........ That means no nets killing gazillions of juvenile fish ........ That means Prawns , SNAPPER , JEWFISH , BREAM .... some of the most popular species targeted by rec anglers in the estuaries , beach & offshore .
    The improvement in the fishing that is reachable to a vast majority of rec anglers is real ...... you lock out the pros from the estuaries and the improvement follows rapidly . - All courtesy of the NSW RFL

Chris
    Give a man a fish & he will eat for a day !
    Teach him how to fish
    & he will sit in a boat - & drink beer all day!
    TEAM MOJIKO

Quote Originally Posted by NAGG View Post
    Most of the estuaries on the NSW coast had all of the commercial licences bought out ........ That means no nets killing gazillions of juvenile fish ........ That means Prawns , SNAPPER , JEWFISH , BREAM .... some of the most popular species targeted by rec anglers in the estuaries , beach & offshore .
    The improvement in the fishing that is reachable to a vast majority of rec anglers is real ...... you lock out the pros from the estuaries and the improvement follows rapidly . - All courtesy of the NSW RFL

Chris
    You said most; however, not all (anyone know how many commercials are in use in NSW?). And I guess it depends on where you fish if an RFL (in your model) will have any perceived benefit other than the fuzzy feel good one. You mentioned about QLD taking advantage of the border crossers if an RFL was introduced yet a perfect example (in reverse) of an RFL not doing that is in the Tweed/Byron area. Tweed river is still raped by netters yet how many border crossers pay an RFL only to fish in a system where the pro's rape it constantly (crabs and fish)? The beaches around there are still netted as well so....
    Another example is the Cooloola stretch, not long ago that had a tax bought in to drive on it, wtf for? There was (hopeful) whispers that too might be used to buy out commercials....but people are just shelling out the fee cos they have too and govt is laughing it's a$$ off.....now if an RFL was brought in tommorow and I wanted to go up the Northshore for a few days I'd have to pay
    1. Vehicle Fee
    2. Camping Fee
    3. RFL
    Not withstanding the usual costs involved in such a trip, what benefit would an RFL have me? The commercials would still be netting (let's not kid ourselves) there would be no new facilities, the dunes would still be a garbage dumo and (literal) cess pool and I may or may not catch a few fish.
    An RFL will benefit a few waterways, I have no doubt, but the many will be paying for the small benefit of a few, and yet more public money will forever disappear into the vortex of govt coffers. JMO but happy for someone to give me a red hot go at proving otherwise, thus far, not even close.
    Vegetarian - Ancient tribal slang for the village idiot that can't hunt, fish or ride.

Chris
    So do you want a pro buy out Nagg or do you want a state wide Rec Fishing Licence? The two are not a job lot you know, we've been promised a $9mil pro buy out regardless.
    Can I refer you to my post on the previous page.
    From Campbell's web site before the last election (and I think it's still there) and while we're being promised NO REC LICENCE from the LNP.
    LNP Website December 2011 - The LNP is committed to the health and wellbeing of our fisheries and will undertake a $9 million voluntary buyback program
    ~~~><))))*>

You are correct Mike that it is not a job lot and that's the reason why I've sat on the fence regarding a rfl. We need to have comittment from Gov for net free regions first before a rfl can be worth anything tangible to any of us. Once the comittment is there, then the process of how to fund it brings into play a possible rfl if there is no other means of funding.

When Mark Robinson was Shadow Fisheries Minister Goat boy, I met with him along with Glen Elmes (Member for Noosa) and Ted Sorensen (Member for Hervey Bay) at Parliament House. It was agreed at that meeting that the vehicle permit revenue can be used to buy out commercial licences on the Noosa North Shore. Mark directed Glen Elmes to look at further methods of funding as well, because this revenue would be insufficient to buy out all the licences. Well, it all went nowhere as we all now know and evidence of better management of Cooloola Recreation Area is now pretty thin on the ground. I was an advocate of the vehicle permit, but with the benefit of hindsight, I'd probably present a different view.

If net free regions are at the core of a desire for a rfl, then let's get the political will for net free regions happening first and worry about the funding aspect when that has been achieved.

Mike, the $9 mil won't do anything at all - it's a furfy, but the politicians can't actually know that and FQ don't seem to be advising a better strategy. And in actual fact, all that this expenditure is doing, is delaying any effective measures (RFHs) that will actually help rebuild fish pops.

Email from a scientist in California overnight who authored the research paper "The Decline and Recovery of Four Predatory Fishes from the Southern California Bight." They banned nets in specific areas of the Bight because of the decline, but not recreational fishing. Rec catches improved, scientific surveys showed a marked increase in pops and individual size and the commercial fishery outside the net free areas began catching more and bigger fish. No coincidence that exactly the same thing happened in NSW post RFHs. It's that simple. So wtf are WE doing?

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Delisser View Post
    So do you want a pro buy out Nagg or do you want a state wide Rec Fishing Licence? The two are not a job lot you know, we've been promised a $9mil pro buy out regardless.
    Can I refer you to my post on the previous page.
    From Campbell's web site before the last election (and I think it's still there) and while we're being promised NO REC LICENCE from the LNP.
    LNP Website December 2011 - The LNP is committed to the health and wellbeing of our fisheries and will undertake a $9 million voluntary buyback program
    I want both ...... In NSW the RFL was used initially to buyout the pro's.
    You know as well as I do that a voluntary buyout is just a stunt (if it happens) those that would sell would be those that are probably ready to retire or are just not making the money that they would like to - a golden parachute so to speak.

Chris
    Teach him how to fish
    TEAM MOJIKO

Quote Originally Posted by goat boy View Post
    You said most; however, not all (anyone know how many commercials are in use in NSW?). And I guess it depends on where you fish if an RFL (in your model) will have any perceived benefit other than the fuzzy feel good one. You mentioned about QLD taking advantage of the border crossers if an RFL was introduced yet a perfect example (in reverse) of an RFL not doing that is in the Tweed/Byron area. Tweed river is still raped by netters yet how many border crossers pay an RFL only to fish in a system where the pro's rape it constantly (crabs and fish)? The beaches around there are still netted as well so....
    Another example is the Cooloola stretch, not long ago that had a tax bought in to drive on it, wtf for? There was (hopeful) whispers that too might be used to buy out commercials....but people are just shelling out the fee cos they have too and govt is laughing it's a$$ off.....now if an RFL was brought in tommorow and I wanted to go up the Northshore for a few days I'd have to pay
    1. Vehicle Fee
    2. Camping Fee
    3. RFL
    Not withstanding the usual costs involved in such a trip, what benefit would an RFL have me? The commercials would still be netting (let's not kid ourselves) there would be no new facilities, the dunes would still be a garbage dumo and (literal) cess pool and I may or may not catch a few fish.
    An RFL will benefit a few waterways, I have no doubt, but the many will be paying for the small benefit of a few, and yet more public money will forever disappear into the vortex of govt coffers. JMO but happy for someone to give me a red hot go at proving otherwise, thus far, not even close.
    The Tweed is closed to commercial fishing .
    I cant remember the exact figure but it is in excess of 80% of the estuary systems that were closed off along the entire coast ....... so it's a bit more than a warm and fuzzy . Closing off such a number of systems certainly benefits more fishoes than you could imagine & certainly improves the biomass .

Here is the list of closures
    North Coast

Central Coast

South Coast

Chris
    Teach him how to fish
    TEAM MOJIKO

The Tweed is closed to commercial fishing .
    Chris
    Are you sure about that Chris? I could be wrong but I think your link only refered to a few sections and side tributaries of the Tweed and certain types of commercial fishing.

I'm sure I saw pros travelling on the river last year andI know for sure there's a weekend ban on netting everywhere on the Tweed, why would a weekend ban be in place if there was a total ban on commercial fishing?

Cheers

Edit - Turns out around 15% of the Tweed system is closed to the pro's
    ~~~><))))*>

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Delisser View Post
    Are you sure about that Chris? I could be wrong but I think your link only refered to a few sections and side tributaries of the Tweed and certain types of commercial fishing.

I know there's a weekend ban on netting everywhere on the Tweed, why would it be in place if there was a total ban?

Cheers
    Hi Mike

No I'm not completely sure about the Tweed closures , you could be right - I didn't look deeply into it except for a cut and paste out of the DPI fisheries website (Commercial fishing section) - If you click on the link you'll see what closures are in place for the the system

Chris

PS - Here are the specifics of the Tweed ...... so as you said It is still open to commercial fishing with limits
    http://www.dpi.nsw.gov.au/fisheries/...r5/tweed-river
    Teach him how to fish
    TEAM MOJIKO

The Tweed has several commercials operating in it, they are bound by areas (mostly up around the mouth area and inwards, to be pretty general). Pros rape the river there on a daily basis. And as previous stated, the beaches are netted as well. So what is my RFL paying for when I cross the border and fish at Tweed? Oh yeh, probably closures elsewhere in the state that benefited someone else...
    Not having a go at you Nagg, my point is that an RFL will only be of benefit to some, and the idea you put forward about the border crossing benefit is flawed by whats already in place on the Tweed border. Untold fishers in that region are paying for an RFL that isn't buying out the pro's in that area, but they still pay up. I worked on the Tweed for 3 years until end of last year and saw the pros there constantly.
    Vegetarian - Ancient tribal slang for the village idiot that can't hunt, fish or ride.

Quote Originally Posted by goat boy View Post
    The Tweed has several commercials operating in it, they are bound by areas (mostly up around the mouth area and inwards, to be pretty general). Pros rape the river there on a daily basis. And as previous stated, the beaches are netted as well. So what is my RFL paying for when I cross the border and fish at Tweed? Oh yeh, probably closures elsewhere in the state that benefited someone else...
    Not having a go at you Nagg, my point is that an RFL will only be of benefit to some, and the idea you put forward about the border crossing benefit is flawed by whats already in place on the Tweed border. Untold fishers in that region are paying for an RFL that isn't buying out the pro's in that area, but they still pay up. I worked on the Tweed for 3 years until end of last year and saw the pros there constantly.
    Fair point ...... if that was the only place that you fished - what about the next estuary system ? I travel all over the shop to go for a fish and that is a common thing for rec anglers.
    Dont you think that it would be far better to get those aweful nets out of some systems than none at all ? - I'm sure you would find fishing would improve if you could stop the netting of even 25% of the systems on the Qld coast - starting with the majors around Moreton Bay , Noosa , Bundaberg , Gladstone , Rockhampton , Mackay , Proserpine , Townsville , Cardwell , Cairns ........ that would cover a great deal of the population but the benefits extend even further afield as these systems are the nurseries for many offshore species.

Chris
    Teach him how to fish
    TEAM MOJIKO

Not kidding Nagg

Is there any single thing the RFL in NSW has done that a department couldn't /shouldn't have done anyway? Like serously forget the piece of paper and get the departments off their bums and implementing the correct science to create both sustainable catches for rec and commercial.

We need the pros to put fish on the table and a source of healthy food so it shouldn't be a pro v's rec fish debate. There needs to be a change in methods and a combined front to getting the adminstration to sort out long term solutions.

Surprised no one has suggested a % tax on all fish at the markets and that way the consumer who wants fish pays.

The fraud of the NSW buyout of stale unused pro lic was disgusting and to see old lic and old boat payed out was a joke.

A FISHING LIC IS NOT A CURE ALL FOR FISHING STOCKS AND FACILITIES let alone cleaning up degrading waterways

Quote Originally Posted by cormorant View Post
    Not kidding Nagg

Is there any single thing the RFL in NSW has done that a department couldn't /shouldn't have done anyway? Like serously forget the piece of paper and get the departments off their bums and implementing the correct science to create both sustainable catches for rec and commercial.
    Coulda , shoulda , woulda .......
    At least the funds raised by the RFL are going into fishing related projects ...... money that would not have been coughed up by government. This includes grants to fishing groups for localised projects .... cleaning up waterways , cleaning tables , angel rings , arti reefs etc
    Sure some money has been used to buy out old clapped out boats ...... but the licence is out of circulation . Botany bay is a great example - it had
    a substantial trawl fleet during the 90's ..... they are gone and the fishing has improved substantially . Add to that the stocking of mulloway into the system and you end up with a pretty decent fishery in suburban Sydney ...... this would never have happened without an RFL. This type of improvement has been seen up and down the NSW coast - so yeh I'm all for it.

Chris
    Teach him how to fish
    TEAM MOJIKO

I'll take that as a No then.

Giving the govt depts a backdoor and a option of taking credit if a RFL does some good still doesn't solve the underlying problem inside the department. Just gives the department which has major issues a way of looking good by having dumb punters pay a fee for feel good projects that they half fund etc and may not give long term ongoing benefits.

I would say heaps of people who fish do so 90% of their time( fishing effort) in one water way or 50 mile stretch of the coast. we don't all travel everywhere fishing comps etc etc.

I still say that boat owners pay more than enough on GST on initial purchase of boats , rego and ongoing fuel taxes to get better facilities and the whole waterways and fish management shouldn't fall on fishermens pocket to pay.

How about all those kayakers , rowers, snorklers, divers, surfclubs , surfers , sailing clubs etc contribute for the improvement in waterways?

People love setting up groups to divide users and start charging them fees. The accounability should all be on the govt department and they should be funded appropriately from tax we already pay to make the right decisions.