Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Met Boating and Fisheries guys today at Scarborough.

Met Boating and Fisheries guys today at Scarborough.

Went out with a mate for a few hours today in the rain to chase some tailor near Scarborough. When we came in two Boating and Fisheries guys were checking boats, fish etc and had a chat with us. They were parked up near the ramp with a white Hilux and with a trailer with two big jetskis on the back.
    My mate didnt have the new sticker re Lifejackets, they kindly gave him one and showed him where to put it.
    They checked the fish and all was good.
    I asked them if they ever patrolled the Green Zone area near Woody Point, as there are so many people who fish inside it. He said they had the day before and two boats were fishing inside it, which is pretty average for most days.
    Interestingly though, I asked if they were fined and he told me that Marine Parks are now the only ones who can fine people, they took that away from Boating and Fisheries.
    If they find people inside a Green Zone, they take details and send a report to Marine Parks, who may or may not send them an infringement notice and fine.
    Boating and Fisheries can still fine them if they are crabbing or fishing illegally, Ie undersize fish, crabs, illegal equipment etc. in a Green Zone, but cannot fine them on the spot for being inside a Green Zone.
    Interesting...just wondering if that is a softening of Policy with the new Govt??
    Any thoughts?
    Cheers
    Flatzie

Re: Met Boating and Fisheries guys today at Scarborough.

not softening........ always been the case.

Marine Parks have always been the domain of Marine Park Rangers. That's why when the zones went in, all hell broke loose, but no-one figured that the Govt, at the time , had no money to police the zonings. Hence many people still break the law and fish these places, without fear of being nabbed.

Great to hear you had a good experience with the F & B guys, in fact , who many of them are avid anglers.

LP
    Kingfisher Painting Solutions:- Domestic and Commercial.

For further information, contact details, quotes or advice - Click Here

I have been checked a lot of times by the various authorities and the only sour taste was with a couple of run ins with the water police. Fisheries and marine parks were polite and professional with their interaction with us and more importantly in their seamanship. The water police were incompetent cowboys
    A Proud Member of
    "The Rebel Alliance"

Yes these blokes were really nice to talk to. They told me it was "taken off" them, anyway its interesting to hear. Yes these blokes sounded like they loved fishing as well, talked for a while about fishing in general.
    Flatzie
    Quote Originally Posted by Lucky_Phill View Post
    not softening........ always been the case.

Marine Parks have always been the domain of Marine Park Rangers. That's why when the zones went in, all hell broke loose, but no-one figured that the Govt, at the time , had no money to police the zonings. Hence many people still break the law and fish these places, without fear of being nabbed.

Great to hear you had a good experience with the F & B guys, in fact , who many of them are avid anglers.

LP

Got pulled up by Water Police and Fisheries Rubber boat with canopy other day when I was heading out in a hurry for a mackerel off Cairns. As I was heading north east they came at me from off the sea, . Couldnt figure out who was going to change course as this boat seemed hell bent on cutting right into me. Just as I realised it was going to be police or whatever they lit up their flashing blue and red LEDs to indicate who they were.

Was quite comical really. Anyway I was cheeky and said this better be quick as I want to get fishing, and they laughed and we checked all the gear which was all fine and we were plying the briney again in no time. They were largely polite, except one of them asked if i knew what date my flares expired, and I said i wasnt sure of the exact date, but knew they were still OK. He says if you dont know the date they have prob expired. He is the second Water policeman who has made this moronic statement. The first one asked me that when my flares were just about 3 months old. patronizing school maam approach.

Oh well
    "let not he boast who puts his armor on, as he who takes it off"

Quote Originally Posted by odes20 View Post
    They were largely polite, except one of them asked if i knew what date my flares expired, and I said i wasnt sure of the exact date, but knew they were still OK. He says if you dont know the date they have prob expired. He is the second Water policeman who has made this moronic statement. The first one asked me that when my flares were just about 3 months old. patronizing school maam approach.

Oh well
    There is a sticker available at most good chandlery shops that are used for easy identification of use by dates for flares, EPIRBS and Life jackets ( the self inflating and manual inflating types ). The sticker can be placed in plain view and you write in Nikko / Texta these dates. Sticker is about 10cm x 15cms. I have mine struck on the inside of the door to the locker that holds the V-Sheet and Flares. ( as well as tackle ) so every time I open the door, I see this sticker.

LP

I was under the impression if you can see the life jackets you never needed a sticker...

That sticker with all your dates your talking about Phill sounds like a great idea,
    but I have never seen any at the shops I visit, It would be good if there was a place that sold them ALL online..

Cheers

Yes, Think I got mine from BIAS.

And, Yes, only if your lifejackets are not visible to crew / deckies, you must have a sticker indication their whereabouts.

LP
    Last edited by Lucky_Phill; 19-07-2012 at 03:54 PM. Reason: spelling... as usual

Yes, Think I got mine from BIAS.

And, Yes, only if your lifejackets are not visible to crew / deckies, you must have a sticker indication their whereabouts.

LP
    And you pulled me up with MY spelling

Your spelling of" license" was wrong in another thread too... It has an s not a c, you pinky swilling hipocrit...

NOT IN AUSTRALIA................ it is Licence here !!!!

Apply for a Driver's Licence

If you want to drive in Australia, you will need to have the appropriate driver's licence. In Australia, drivers' licences are issued by state and territory governments. You may be required to pass a knowledge test, a practical driving test, and an eyesight test.

directly from all Govt sites.........

apology accepted...........

and yes.... that was supposed to be " indicating "......... and the grammar ( gramma ) is not 100% either.

BUT DO NOT use American spelling in Australia.

LP
    Last edited by Lucky_Phill; 19-07-2012 at 05:49 PM.

Phil
    You are correct inasmuch as licence is the noun and license is the verb. But ever since I was 18 years of age (early last century) the Victorian Government has not been able to spell it correctly; so perhaps not "directly from all Government sites" - just the literate ones.
    It's one of my pet hates - right up there with the frequently used "West Australia" instead of Western Australia, albeit the person from there is a West Australian.
    Regards
    SUPERDAFF

and yes.... that was supposed to be " indicating "......... and the grammar ( gramma ) is not 100% either.

BUT DO NOT use American spelling in Australia.

LP
    I hope your grammar gets well soon..is grandad okay also ?

Quote Originally Posted by SUPERDAFF View Post
    Phil
    You are correct inasmuch as licence is the noun and license is the verb. But ever since I was 18 years of age (early last century) the Victorian Government has not been able to spell it correctly; so perhaps not "directly from all Government sites" - just the literate ones.
    It's one of my pet hates - right up there with the frequently used "West Australia" instead of Western Australia, albeit the person from there is a West Australian.
    Regards

SUPERDAFF
    Apology accepted Phill... You weren't an English teacher once were you?

In the context of the subject matter and in direct relation to the use of the word in question, I fink eye wus coorekt......... Although, having said that, I am a Qualified Teacher.

I actually know people that live in DoubleUway.

LP