Thread: Leatherjackets are here again.

Leatherjackets are here again.

Just a heads up for anyone venturing out to the 50s off the Goldy,I went out there on Saturday only to be greeted by a plague of Leathers. Had 3 drops , the 1st produced a double hook up 1undersize pearlie & a leather ,2nd drop , 1 leather & no lead left , 3rd drop lost everything. So time to pack up & move in to 36s where we bagged out on squirey snapper & some huge Tusk fish.
    Sorry no photos as the leatherjackets ate my camera.
    Cheers Pat.

Re: Leatherjackets are here again.

These mongrel things have got to be good bait for something big!

Nothing wrong with leatherjackets, best solid eating fish than poxy pearl perch (heavily over-rated), I caught many of them and ate them, now trade them in for a better fish.

Use the gear I have and you will come up with a few. You can get the occassional bolt cutter to come through and bite the wire .

Check my post under leatherjackets and you will see the gear I am talking about.

Bondy

i dont mind eating the jackets but hate trying to fillet the bastards!

Hey Bondy, I wish my Mrs was as easy to please as you although I do agree they are'nt too bad on the chew but I would rather eat a poxy Pearlie or a poxy Snapper & come home with all my poxy f#^%ing gear.
    Cheers ,Paty
    Quote Originally Posted by bondy99 View Post
    Nothing wrong with leatherjackets, best solid eating fish than poxy pearl perch (heavily over-rated), I caught many of them and ate them, now trade them in for a better fish.

Use the gear I have and you will come up with a few. You can get the occassional bolt cutter to come through and bite the wire .

Check my post under leatherjackets and you will see the gear I am talking about.

Bondy

Cheers for that Pat aka Turkeyslapper, classic choice of name !!

cheers mate... was listing to the radio while fitting trim tabs on sunday and herd the boys on the 50s ne of pin cursing the jackets out there as well...they take the fun outta fishing for a few weeks thats for shore
    ...........GOOD THINGS COME TO THOSE WHO BAIT.........

Some leather jacket specie are top eating, I liken the flesh to Whiting or flounder, very sweet and tastey.
    I don't think this (species) qualifies as table fare sadly.

It's all good, I was brought up on sea mullet too. good shit.

I use to spear a few leatherjackets when I was down Sydney 40 years ago, around Rose Bay and Watsons Bay, I chose the better times to go, when the water was clearer not murkey, still hugged the coastal rocks in case teethman came around.

Bagged some crayfish whilst I was at it and some descent abalone.

Bondy

Turkeyslapper,

Oh well them the breaks.