Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: When can one fillet fish?

Re: When can one fillet fish?

So we are back to square one then.

What else is there to disagree about it

And as far as filleting a bream before putting it in a crab pot, do you think I will get more crabs filleted or unfilleted??

Ausfish Platinum Member gruntahunta's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by marto78 View Post
    And as far as filleting a bream before putting it in a crab pot, do you think I will get more crabs filleted or unfilleted??

Hey Marto....never filleted a bream in my life mate LOL nor dp I intend to start)......soooooo much better cooking them whole on the BBQ or in a bit of oil and crisp the skin up.

Gotta Love Maroochydore.

I rather fillet and fry with a little butter and garlic...
    I can fillet faster then I can scale, gill and gut a Bream.

But you are right, a good sized Bream baked whole on the webber and then consumed while watching the footy is bloody good with a few beers to wash it down...

Quote Originally Posted by Lucky_Phill View Post
    Well, you are correct Peter, it's a dodgey legislation and it is up to the honesty of people to do the right thing.

I stand by my " portions " assessment.

I do believe that if you had loads of Bream fillets on board and no frames, that could attract suspicion from an Inspector, as there is no way of telling a 22cm Bream fillet from a 25cm one, given the ordinary filleting efforts of us fishers. Having raised the eyebrows of said inspector, all safety gear will be looked at and possibly a thorough search of the vessel would be in order.

I applaude your persistence in finding your answers, Peter. Nice work.

Cheers LP
    Phill, another slant on your "portions" assessment would be that if you had 20 fillets and 10 frames then you could be assessed as having 20 fish on board
    Last edited by Dignity; 18-07-2012 at 06:11 PM. Reason: can't count

Quote Originally Posted by fishfeeder View Post
    I rather fillet and fry with a little butter and garlic...
    I can fillet faster then I can scale, gill and gut a Bream.

But you are right, a good sized Bream baked whole on the webber and then consumed while watching the footy is bloody good with a few beers to wash it down...

We've got to organise another trip if your starting to swap bream recipes.

May as well organise another fishing trip as the weather has been crap since we went to 1770..

This is how I Fillet Mackerel, YTK, AJ's.... I wonder how would they work out how many fish I have in my freezer when the size of the fish would make a huge difference to the amount of PORTIONS I have in the freezer, seeing I bag feed sized portions as I go, so you end up with a lot of small bags in the freezer..

Cheers
    Brett

Nice to see it in writing from Tony Ham, though I already knew that was the answer. I discussed the issue a few years ago with a couple of inspectors and they confirmed what I read face value in the regs that you do not need to keep the frames. They said that they had to just assume the fish was legal length before filleting. Though I think they would still go you if it was blatently obvious that the fillet could not have come from a legal fish.

Ausfish Platinum Member gruntahunta's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Cheech View Post
    Nice to see it in writing from Tony Ham, though I already knew that was the answer. I discussed the issue a few years ago with a couple of inspectors and they confirmed what I read face value in the regs that you do not need to keep the frames. They said that they had to just assume the fish was legal length before filleting. Though I think they would still go you if it was blatently obvious that the fillet could not have come from a legal fish.

yeah Cheech...I will keep the email in my phone LOL...nothing more pleasing than to get one up on the FUN police. The only real reasoss one would need to fillet I can imagine is if one caught too many fish for their esky size or the main reason I am interested and chased the answer is to get them ready for the trip home....some ramps do not have cleaning facitilies and I get in trouble doing it at home.

Gotta Love Maroochydore.