Thread: Sea Mullet Season

Ausfish Silver Member
    Blog Entries

Sea Mullet Season

Just wondering if anyone believes it to be a good Sea Mullet Season. For the whole winter run i have been struggling to purchase fillets or whole fish at a reasonable price. EG whole between $3 and $4 dollars a kilo and fillets $6 to $9 a kilo which i believe is way over price. Also quality seems to be shrinking year after year .

Re: Sea Mullet Season

Manta man. I have definately seen less mullet where i fish the gutters in the surf and where i chase blackfish this year and the last few. Not sure how the pro haulers have done though. Ben

I bought a bunch of mullet a couple of months ago at 1.99 per kilo whole

haven't seen any shortage yet

Ausfish Silver Member
    Blog Entries

Hey Blooey im not sure which beaches you fish but going by what the fishos i purchase from, they are also of the opinion, numbers have not been good. Their actually not sure if all the rain over the past few years has something to do with it. But one would have to think it should have helped . I suppose when you read other articles in regards to netting lagoons and elsewhere, it will have a huge effect on the breeding cycle. 10 to 20 tonnes. I know this to be a touchy subject. Will be interesting to get the numbers from the Govt in the near future. The poor old humble mullet must make some people a lot of money Eg Roe $18 a kilo Melts $12 a kilo Fish fillets,Gut, frames and heads. No waste in the old Mullet mate.

We won't see any catch stats from Fisheries on mullet in the near future unless somebody buys them from Fisheries and then distributes. All catch stats from recent years for all species have to be purchased unless FQ choose to release catch stats for a given species for media or 'special' purposes.