Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: Eating Whale Meat.

Re: Eating Whale Meat.

Know this is slightly off track about eating but ... do they still use whale ambergris in top perfumes??

Quote Originally Posted by Crunchy View Post
    Japan hunts whales in antarctica which are international waters, they are very protective of their own fisheries.
    Finland also hunts whales.
    Young Japanese have little interest in whale meat but the lobby groups try to push the whole national pride tack which a few buy into . Honestly it's mainly about the whole "don't tell us what we can and can't do" which drives them
    Heaps of places used to be whaling stations around Australia, tangalooma for example.
    japan is also very "lazy" within credentials on where "scientific studies" boundaries exist

just saying
    can it get any better??????????????,,,,,,,,,,,,,,http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hgG_TxEPaQE

Quote Originally Posted by MudRiverDan View Post
    Lets face it Whale products will sell for a pretty penny.

Dan
    I don't think that is the case Dan, they have years of stocks in frozen storage, they can't give it away...that's why it's so perverse...

I have mixed feelings against this.

I do not agree with the Japanese whaling and hunting them in the southern ocean. I dislike the way they hunt the dolphin them in their own waters but they own that water. If the dolphins were smarter they would get the hell out of Japan.

If a pod of whaled washes up on a stretch of beach like they often do. Yes we should try and help them out but we cant save them all. Ones that cant be saved should be euthanised and we break out the chainsaws and cut them up on the spot and we all have a big bbq.

Quote Originally Posted by Crunchy View Post
    I don't think that is the case Dan, they have years of stocks in frozen storage, they can't give it away...that's why it's so perverse...
    Yes I see they are serving it in public schools over there.

Cheers

I believe that we have no right to tell other countries what they can and cant eat. We eat roo's, crocs, emu etc- we kill pigs buffs, camels, horses donkeys etc by the million (and leave them rotting!!!). So really we dont have a leg to stand on. Personally I dont see a problem if the japs kill and use whales in a sustainble manner. Also wasnt the whaling industry built on the blubber not the meat- maybe they are selling the blubber for top $$ I dunno...

Quote Originally Posted by Matthias View Post
    . Also wasnt the whaling industry built on the blubber

,, Whale Blubber was used to make,,,0e3ad_humpbackwhale.jpg

THIS,,,
    soap.jpg
    Then this came along and saved the whales from extinctionw7sx96rf-1328055201-1328056698.jpg

just saying
    can it get any better??????????????,,,,,,,,,,,,,,http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hgG_TxEPaQE

Quote Originally Posted by MudRiverDan View Post
    I have read this thread a few time and have decided to make a comment.

Whales are of very high intelligence, and not sure if that qualify s an animal to be spared as food, though the humpback whale population had dwindled to 5000 during the 60's (Wiki), and this really goes to show how unregulated kills will wipe out a species in no time at all.
    This is a common misconception. Humpbacks are not part of the Japanese Whaling quota. They have tried to introduce it several times (I think 2007/2008) and wisely backed down. Reportedly Greenland hunt a 'couple' of humpbacks.

Remember the reason why the humpbacks were decimated was because of white whaling (ala tangalooma!) where 6200 humpbacks were cleaned up.

TM

Quote Originally Posted by boney-leg View Post
    Know this is slightly off track about eating but ... do they still use whale ambergris in top perfumes??
    Yes. Very, Very expensive!

Quote Originally Posted by choppa View Post
    Then this came along and saved the whales from extinctionw7sx96rf-1328055201-1328056698.jpg

just saying
    What - by moving Australia further to the right and out of their path??

I'm actually a little surprised by this thread, and the overall support for the whaling.

I agree that if most activities are done in a sustainable manner, then sometimes it needs to be done in order to survive. However, with all the reports i've read about mercury buildup in apex predators and documented health concerns with eating whale meat I just can't understand why it's worth killing these sentient creatures.

I can fully understand saying people would try it (I probably would once), but would I feel comfortable eating it every day, or even every week? Hell no!

The other issue that seems to have had little discussion is that majority of whaling that is being discussed is occurring in the southern ocean whale sanctuary. Whether Japan (and other nations) should be whaling is one question, whether they should be whaling in what is currently a recognised sanctuary is a whole different one.

Personally, if they would stay out of there I would have far less issues than I currently do. I'm not a big fan of the spawning or juvenile grounds for any species to the primary hunting area. Obviously this would make the returns smaller and the investment probably higher, but that may be all the balance that is required. It's a mighty big ocean to hunt it...

Quote Originally Posted by team_mongo View Post
    This is a common misconception. Humpbacks are not part of the Japanese Whaling quota. They have tried to introduce it several times (I think 2007/2008) and wisely backed down. Reportedly Greenland hunt a 'couple' of humpbacks.

Remember the reason why the humpbacks were decimated was because of white whaling (ala tangalooma!) where 6200 humpbacks were cleaned up.

TM
    Not sure if they were in the Japanese whaling quota in the 60's.
    I have made a few comments here that needed clarity.

Cheers

Dan

Are cows sacred in India?
    Do the Indians stop us from eating Cows?
    Yes, its the usual story we in Western society want people to follow us.
    I for one won't give another cent to the likes wwf, and fund there ongoing folly on the high seas.
    No where can I tuck into some nice Whale meat?