Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Eating Whale Meat.

Re: Eating Whale Meat.

Talking about tradition, I was watching a documentary few days ago about hunting dolphins in Japan.
    They were showing a traditional combined harvest where few Japanese fishing boats coming together and pushing the dolphins in to nets at a small rocky bay.
    Seaworld type marine entertainment companies from all around the world were there also, choosing their dolphins and transporting back to their country live.
    Next, all dolphins are harpooned and killed, the whole bay turns to red with all the blood.

The weird part was, the same bay also houses a local marine entertainment centre where people watch live dolphin shows, interact and feed the dolphins.
    After the show dolphin meat is served at the food court.

I love eating fish but cant get my head around eating dolphin; large animal full of metals, they are very smart and look majestic which makes me think twice.
    Rather scoff a nice fillet of snapper or cod any day.

Quote Originally Posted by TheRealAndy View Post
    I would eat humans if it were legal. Do or die I say. I wanted to eat dog in Indonesia, but the wife would not let me cause she though I was eating a family pet.

Anyway, nothing wrong with eating whale, so long as its sustainable. I was watching a doco on the green peace pirates the other day, shame the Japanese did not jail Andy Gil for boarding the Shonan Maru.
    Andy put it on skewers and cover it in peanut sauce it tastes like beef (dog that is)

As to whaling, Japan is not the only country that whales, but it is the only country that whales in a "commercial " fashion that I know of.

I also have seen the cove and do not agree with this type of action, but how many other countries would be shocked by the way we cull Roos

It was only last year or so that we were told that we could not fish for makos, and it was only with the public out cry that that was overturned,

I have read this thread a few time and have decided to make a comment.

Whales are of very high intelligence, and not sure if that qualify s an animal to be spared as food, though the humpback whale population had dwindled to 5000 during the 60's (Wiki), and this really goes to show how unregulated kills will wipe out a species in no time at all.

Ok firstly I think the humpbacks are making Aussie tourist dollars since there migrations have come back strong... eat them?

Back to the intelligence, some of the kills I have seen (footage and may be biased) but they show pods protecting their young while being attacked and mourning for their dying family , is this just our moral perceptions or are these animals in fact of high intelligence, sharing some of our closest social traits?
    And if so should they be spared a harpoon?

Why do we all of a sudden give a rats ass about the Japanese? I didn't see many posts pledging sorrow for them when the Tsunami hit.
    No offense to any Japanese people or anyone here who did feel sorry for their plight, I am just saying is that what this thread is really about?

Then in that case is this thread just a vehicle to push some kind of anti-green thing.

Personally I believe the whaling should be highly regulated.

If whales are a resource then they make us money, why should the Japanese be allowed to pluck them out of the water as they leave our waters?

World resource may be short but the Japanese can always buy our beef....

not sure i could eat an entire fillet in one sitting.

Mate you could always whack on a fillet of Tilapia.

I tried on the weekend, (whole fish deep fried Thai style), tasted better than bream.

Now watch me get a roast for that comment.

Dan you shouldn't cop any crap because you did the right thing taking it out of the system anyway
    it is just a bonus it tasted okay
    cheers
    IFISHCQ2

Wouldn't take too many "pristine saltwater" whales , to replace our shitwater BASA imports ?
    jmo

Quote Originally Posted by ifishcq1 View Post
    Dan you shouldn't cop any crap because you did the right thing taking it out of the system anyway
    it is just a bonus it tasted okay
    cheers
    The one I got was in a bag from a China shop.
    Think maybe imported or something.

Cut slits in fish sides, deep fry whole in oil till crispy golden brown then dig in with fingers with some chilli dipping sauce.
    Not too shabby with a coldie..

Tilapia cooked Thai is delicious I agree . Ilove getting into them when Im visiting Thailand, however the issue with Tilapia is not their taste, but getting them out of our waterways. They are a noxious species.

Hi Mud River Dan, As the creator of the thread, I would say if you dont know what this thread is about just go back and read my original post. You raised a whole heap of perceptions, like special care for the Japanese??? whats that about???
    Just an opportunity for people to express their views on this particular issue. No other over arching motive other than I thought it needs some discussion seeing its a hot potatoe in our society. Thats what I thought forums are about.
    "let not he boast who puts his armor on, as he who takes it off"

I'm going to Japan in September so I'll try some, been offered a few times before but have declined due to moral objection....But interested to see what all the fuss is about.

Quote Originally Posted by odes20 View Post
    Tilapia cooked Thai is delicious I agree . Ilove getting into them when Im visiting Thailand, however the issue with Tilapia is not their taste, but getting them out of our waterways. They are a noxious species.

Hi Mud River Dan, As the creator of the thread, I would say if you dont know what this thread is about just go back and read my original post. You raised a whole heap of perceptions, like special care for the Japanese??? whats that about???
    Just an opportunity for people to express their views on this particular issue. No other over arching motive other than I thought it needs some discussion seeing its a hot potatoe in our society. Thats what I thought forums are about.
    Well I don't think Aussies eat whale meat..
    So maybe I stereotyped the Japanese folk into being the main country of concern when debating the whale meat issue in Australia.
    I think the whales migrate from the south to north via Australian waters and Japan takes a few as they go past Japan, cant be 100% as I know there are a few species available.

I believe a lot of Japanese folk do not actually care much for whaling anyway.
    Not sure how many country's still do it today, but Japan is not the only one.

So odes20 no offense mate I was just joining the discussion, even if I did botch a few comments..

I think if whale meat is anything like what they pay for some Tuna then the banning of whale meat makes it even more expensive and commercially viable for vessels to go out and get a few.

The whole problem here is we need an expert on the matter to clarify exactly what is being talked about.
    Do we have the facts here or is it just a discussion based on morals, speculation and political ideas of the day?

Byron Bay used to be a whaling station.

Japan hunts whales in antarctica which are international waters, they are very protective of their own fisheries.
    Finland also hunts whales.
    Young Japanese have little interest in whale meat but the lobby groups try to push the whole national pride tack which a few buy into . Honestly it's mainly about the whole "don't tell us what we can and can't do" which drives them
    Heaps of places used to be whaling stations around Australia, tangalooma for example.

I think there have been some really excellent opinions on this thread so far. Certainly broadened my thinking. But if there is some expert opinion forthcoming Im in, but not sure Dan which part of the issue they will speak to? Whats your thoughts?
    "let not he boast who puts his armor on, as he who takes it off"

Quote Originally Posted by Gazza View Post
    Wouldn't take too many "pristine saltwater" whales , to replace our shitwater BASA imports ?
    jmo
    alaskan pollock???
    can it get any better??????????????,,,,,,,,,,,,,,http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hgG_TxEPaQE

Quote Originally Posted by odes20 View Post
    I think there have been some really excellent opinions on this thread so far. Certainly broadened my thinking. But if there is some expert opinion forthcoming Im in, but not sure Dan which part of the issue they will speak to? Whats your thoughts?
    Well with the world getting smaller every day can we afford to look at a species like the whale as a food source or is it just a luxury afforded by the rich.
    Lets face it Whale products will sell for a pretty penny.

Nothing against rich people.
    But what is the push?
    Is Japan a poor starving nation?.. No its a world economic heavyweight.

It appears they still take whale anyway on a regular basis, so it is not as if the whalers have stopped completely.

It is these kind of details I think would need an expert opinion, I'm sure some here are very informed anyway , though the issue you brought up rings true, that there is a lot of clouded perception surrounding the topic.

Dan